A. Johnson to learn the Z position - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A. Johnson to learn the Z position

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:13 pm

I have him ranked around 7 above Walker

I like that the coach's are looking for ways to get him the ball and to make hard for D's to key on him.
And I agree with WarPigs that they really need to add quality depth at WR if they want truly want to open up the passing game.
If he's around in the 4th round and it's my pick I'm taking him.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:19 pm

I have him ranked 8, right after Horn, right before Ward.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:53 pm

Too bad Houston didn't go out and pickup Rod Gardner... That was a trade that would have made a ton of sense IMO.

Andre Johnson falls victim to the Texan's woes on offense and I don't see that changing this season. You can single cover Gafney all day long and get away with it. You can put 7 in the box all day long and get away with it. It's pretty simple, Andre is a 1st rate talent in a 2nd rate situation... Worth drafting in the 4th round, but any sooner than that and you probably wind up dissappointed at the end of the season.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:27 pm

My biggest worry about him is inconsistency. Last year he was one of the top WRs in the first half -3/4 of the season but week in and week out I worried about playing him because I never knew what he'd do. Weekly, he produced:
6.6 15.3 10.4 18.7 31.4 7.4 B 7.2 3.4 8.5 11.9 10.2 14.5 4 3.5 11.4

Weeks 2-5 he was awesome, getting at least 10 points each week. Week 6 through 10 he was so inconsistent you could have waranted benching him, and then he comes up big again for two weeks. He's one of the most talented WRs in the NFL, and I will forever remember him for his amazing catch against the Vikings last year. I'd take him above Hines Ward, but below Joe Horn; at 7 or 8. I see him as being more proven than Burleson, Clayton, and D-Jax; and would take him above them.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:00 pm

maddog60 wrote: Its not so much Carr that's holding him back, but Carr's O-line. I think they may very well have the worst pass protection in the entire league.

Does anyone remember the ESPN draft commercial, "what does your team need" with game footage of Carr against a defense and the entire O-Line had been removed :-b ;-D

I dont know how this is a sneaky move by Houston. It seems the #1 corner will follow him and the safety (strong or free) will double regardless of which side he is on.

In terms of his production, I am not optimistic. I read they are going to a short route offense like the Jets had last season. I don't see Johnson as a catch a slant and take it to the house guy, but who knows?
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bellybrother » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:14 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:where does everyone have him ranked then? i have him at 8. How does he compare to Hines Ward, Nate Burleson, Micheal Clayton and D Jax?

That whole bunch after Javon and Horn is scary to me. Wayne, Clayton, Burleson, Ward, D-Jax, Andre. Not that that's how I rate them, just listing. But they all have definate ?'s for me and any pick I made here would just be a guess.

I'm with whoever said they didn't think it would make much difference because the O-line is still bad and the #1 corner would follow and still get saftey help. W/out a better line and a better WR on the other side, his obvious physical talents will still be hard to exploit.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Teh Jury » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:15 pm

jmo wrote:Isn't there something about WR in their third year. They tend to do real well. I've never even seen the dude play but I'll be keeping my eye on him this season.

Just a comment on your signature jmo: tell your leaguemates to pack it in for the '05 season :-D
Teh Jury
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tanner » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:58 am

AJ averaged just 57 yards per game the final 8 contests in 2004, and scored 2 total td over that span.
two years in a row now, he has stumbled down the backstretch..

I don't remember offensive coordinator Chris Palmer tunring out any fantasy value in Cleveland a couple of years ago, and I still don't see much value in Houston.
they did nothing to shore up the leagues's worst offensive line, and Carr will be sacked another 60+ times..
they have no wr opposite AJ that defenses respect, Corey Bradford and Jabar Gaffney are also-ran talents, at best..
AJ wil continue to see triple coverages..

David Carr averaged 144.25 yards per game during the final 8 games of 2004..that's HORRIBLE!! he also threw 7 td to 9 ints over that span..
I don't see Carr making a quantum leap forward this year, and as a result, the offense will continue to be a below-average unit..

at best, AJ will put up Isaac Bruce-type numbers - 86-1300-6...
even that's a stretch..If you want #2 WR numbers form AJ, take him early..

and the '3rd year WR breakout' theory only works on teams with a productive offensive system..ask Brandon Lloyd if he's going to
'breakout' this year in that (ers offense..Javon Walker plays with Brett Favre and a wide open GB pass attack..I doubt he'd do the same if he had played for NYG last year..

Chad Johnson would not have a breakout 3rd year if not for the fact he plays in a wide open Cincinnati offense...if he played in Cleveland, we'd never know who Chad Johnson is..

Don't just bank on AJ blooming this year striclty because he is a '3rd year wideout'..you have to have a successful, top notch ranked offense for a guy to 'breakout'..

its extremely rare to find a breakout player in a bad offense..
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fx495232 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:04 am

i too am a little weary of dom capers' conservative approach. carr has never impressed me, and has now been a "sleeper" every year in the league, never to wake up.
fx495232
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby tanner » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:07 am

I cringe when I hear the names Dom Capers and Chris Palmer..lol..
both will probably be fired at the end of the year if Houston doesn't at least go 8-8....
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk