Matt Jones to report? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matt Jones to report?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:26 am

Warpigs wrote:I just read that Jones is training right away to be a TE. I thought he was going to start at WR, too, but it sounds like Jacksonville may make him a TE. It was in a story posted at Yahoo fantasy.

I havent found anything about this, but it would be huge news if he did convert to TE.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:20 am

I don't know, when was the last time a guy successfully converted from QB to WR, or any other position for that matter? The Rams tried it a couple years ago with a couple guys, Eric Crouch to WR and didn't they try to move Billissari to safety? Granted, both of those were different situations and Martz isn't a real smart guy; but I'm skeptical on how this QB-TE thing is gonna work out. It's a completely different game at TE than at QB.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:30 am

M_Zimm_ffc wrote:I don't know, when was the last time a guy successfully converted from QB to WR, or any other position for that matter? The Rams tried it a couple years ago with a couple guys, Eric Crouch to WR and didn't they try to move Billissari to safety? Granted, both of those were different situations and Martz isn't a real smart guy; but I'm skeptical on how this QB-TE thing is gonna work out. It's a completely different game at TE than at QB.

You make very valid points. I think this will be one of the more interesting stories to follow this year.

While the switch from QB to WR or TE is not done often, it has happened. But I would also say it is unusual to have a 6'6", 240 lb QB with 4.37 speed too.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am

At his size, and his lack of great QB skills he's definitely got the potential to be a great TE. If anybody was to do it, he'd be the man. I just don't think it's gonna be easy to just up and forget everything you've been taought at one position to go try another, especially this far along the line; this is the pros now. He's definitely got the size and speed though, so who knows, it should be interesting.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:49 am

M_Zimm_ffc wrote:I don't know, when was the last time a guy successfully converted from QB to WR, or any other position for that matter? The Rams tried it a couple years ago with a couple guys, Eric Crouch to WR and didn't they try to move Billissari to safety? Granted, both of those were different situations and Martz isn't a real smart guy; but I'm skeptical on how this QB-TE thing is gonna work out. It's a completely different game at TE than at QB.

The Bears seem to have successfully transplanted a former RB to a pro-bowl CB/return man in Jerry Azumah. Not too many others that come to mind, but I'll bet there are more than you think, but they just don't get publicized.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby caneblood » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:07 pm

Drew Bennet?
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flockers » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:39 pm

caneblood wrote:Drew Bennett?

We have a winner!
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby defianthart » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:53 pm

Ronald Curry was a QB in high school and college(i think)
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:47 pm

Warpigs wrote:I just read that Jones is training right away to be a TE. I thought he was going to start at WR, too, but it sounds like Jacksonville may make him a TE. It was in a story posted at Yahoo fantasy.

This kinda sucks, if he turns out to be a decent and productive TE he can never be used in yahoo FF because they listed him as a WR. Well I guess if you had flex spot but you could probably do better than him there anyway.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:36 pm

Redskins Win wrote:

This kinda sucks, if he turns out to be a decent and productive TE he can never be used in yahoo FF because they listed him as a WR. Well I guess if you had flex spot but you could probably do better than him there anyway.

I've heard Del Rio interviewed a couple times the past few weeks and he was saying that the transition to TE this year for Jones would be too great and that the intention this season was more to use him in the slot to create mismatches. I would imagine that they are starting to give him some preliminary training at the TE spot, but he's going to have to learn proper blocking technique and scheme for that position as well as add a bit of bulk.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk