Matt Jones to report? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matt Jones to report?

Moderator: Football Moderators

At the Combine

Postby anderbudd » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:22 pm

Matt Jones at the combine was by far the most impressive reciever out there. Having any player that you can utilize at multiple positions (QB/WR/TE) is extremely valuable to a team.

My guess is that the Jags pitch and pass 25 times per game this year.
anderbudd
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lushcrush » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:11 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
Warpigs wrote:I just read that Jones is training right away to be a TE. I thought he was going to start at WR, too, but it sounds like Jacksonville may make him a TE. It was in a story posted at Yahoo fantasy.

This kinda sucks, if he turns out to be a decent and productive TE he can never be used in yahoo FF because they listed him as a WR. Well I guess if you had flex spot but you could probably do better than him there anyway.

Jones will never play TE. He is too valuable to expose to those mean defensive lineman on anything but a goal line play. Consider his demeanor - bright, sensitive, kinda arty, makes the right decisions most of the time - contrast with - hit the big guy, dive at his knees, hold him if you can grab him. Oh sh*t, I'm flying backwards ... gotta reach out and at least grab somebodys jersey.
Jones is not the kinda guy who can crack down on a DL and come out of it with any value while actually hanging around a few years.
Leave all that to Bubba Franks ... the Smasher !+)
Load Jones in the slot and let the good times roll ... ;-D
Looks like the Canadians are drunk again ... this whole thing started Here
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:00 pm

Lushcrush wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
Warpigs wrote:I just read that Jones is training right away to be a TE. I thought he was going to start at WR, too, but it sounds like Jacksonville may make him a TE. It was in a story posted at Yahoo fantasy.

This kinda sucks, if he turns out to be a decent and productive TE he can never be used in yahoo FF because they listed him as a WR. Well I guess if you had flex spot but you could probably do better than him there anyway.

Jones will never play TE. He is too valuable to expose to those mean defensive lineman on anything but a goal line play. Consider his demeanor - bright, sensitive, kinda arty, makes the right decisions most of the time - contrast with - hit the big guy, dive at his knees, hold him if you can grab him. Oh sh*t, I'm flying backwards ... gotta reach out and at least grab somebodys jersey.
Jones is not the kinda guy who can crack down on a DL and come out of it with any value while actually hanging around a few years.
Leave all that to Bubba Franks ... the Smasher !+)
Load Jones in the slot and let the good times roll ... ;-D
Looks like the Canadians are drunk again ... this whole thing started Here

I think he would be outstanding at the TE position Lushy. Granted, he's going to get beat on a bit but can you imagine the mismatch opportunities he would create vs. a LB or even S? Remember too, just because he's labelled "TE", that doesn't mean he can't go in the slot, check out Dallas Clark last season for the Colts. They split him out and slotted him quite a bit.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:02 pm

M_Zimm_ffc wrote:I don't know, when was the last time a guy successfully converted from QB to WR, or any other position for that matter? The Rams tried it a couple years ago with a couple guys, Eric Crouch to WR and didn't they try to move Billissari to safety? Granted, both of those were different situations and Martz isn't a real smart guy; but I'm skeptical on how this QB-TE thing is gonna work out. It's a completely different game at TE than at QB.

Hines Ward and Randel El?
SHOCKandAWE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The town with the BEST football fans around! PITTSBURGH, PA

and Kordell

Postby anderbudd » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:12 pm

Yes, and Kordell Stewart converted from QB to WR for one whole game! And he was already in the NFL at the time!
anderbudd
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: and Kordell

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:15 pm

anderbudd wrote:Yes, and Kordell Stewart converted from QB to WR for one whole game! And he was already in the NFL at the time!

He played more than 1 game at WR.
SHOCKandAWE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The town with the BEST football fans around! PITTSBURGH, PA

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:58 pm

Obviously guys I realize that there are exceptions, and it has happened. It's just not going to be easy, and to go from QB to TE is a lot different than WR. Like Lush said, its one thing to be able to line up in the slot and make a catch; it's another to be down on the line blocking and scrapping for balls. QBs just aren't made to do that, and it's not gonna be easy to learn.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Calyxes » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:13 pm

Gates was runner up in for Mr. Michigan his senior year in HS. He did not even play football in college. I think with Jones size and speed he would and will be a real weapon on offense no matter where he plays.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Football Talk