Which rookie WR will be fantasy starter worthy this yr? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Which rookie WR will be fantasy starter worthy this yr?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which rookie WR will be fantasy starter worthy this yr?

Postby aussieboy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:10 am

Maybe not right away, but which rookie WR do you think will be worthy of a spot on your fantasy roster by seasons end?

This year seems to be a pretty weak yr for rookie WRs. Anyone have any ideas, or is it pretty much a crapshoot as to which rookie WR emerges?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kashikis » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:58 am

I think Edwards is the only lock for a starting job this year

After that:

Roddy White and Mark Clayton will probably be #2's simply due to need.

Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Matt Jones and Reggie Brown will likely see action this year as well. Straing out as #3's on the team and possibly moving up.

Beyond those three groups no one should make that big of an impact to me.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:02 am

you gotta think about Mike Williams. Mainly due to the fact Charles Rogers hasn't finished anythign close to a season without big injury.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:46 am

BGbootha wrote:you gotta think about Mike Williams. Mainly due to the fact Charles Rogers hasn't finished anythign close to a season without big injury.
Yes, but Rogers' injuries have been more freak injuries, a collar bone fracture isn't a lingering injury. But even if he does go down, I don't think Bloey has the ability to get the ball to two recievers enough to get them good fantasy stats, and clearly last year he loved Roy, so I'd expect Roy Williams to benefit more from Rogers going down than Mike. Mike would definitely move up, but I don't see him having a huge impact this year, whether at number 2 or number 3.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:39 pm

Braylon is probably in the best situation, but thats not really supposed to be a strong endorsement. Cle does have other downfield targets and they dont expect to play in a lot of blowout type games where they will have to pass heavily to stay in the game. Edwards should be the #1 in CLE, but that may not be good enough to make him a fantasy factor.

Troy Williamson isnt anywhere close to being a fantasy contributer. He is a long term project that needs to develop his game before he gets regular looks in the MIN offense. Obviously he needs regular looks to become a fantasy factor.

Mike Williams is probably the X-factor rookie WR heading into this season. He has the talent to do well - but DET simply has too many weapons right now to think he will have any sort of consistancy this yr. The thing is, DET has desperately needed a solid redzone target over the last few yrs - regularly ranking at or near the bottom of redzone efficiency in the NFL. Mike Williams - is the epitomy of a redzone target - it doesnt get much better. The problem is CRog is a great redzone target, Roy is no slouch, Pollard, Kevin Jones - all of these guys are basically new this yr save for Roy and KJ playing half the yr last yr.

Mark Clayton Im not as familiar with, but even still, he's apparantly the slot or #2 WR at best in BAl - which Im guessing wont get nearly enough looks to warrant fantasy consideration. It's a run heavy offense first of all, then Mason gets his looks, then Heap gets his looks, and then finally Clayton gets his if he is up to NFL speed. Thats a long shot to be fantasy productive right there.

Matt Jones - I understand JAX will look to throw more often, but even still Jones is a project at best. I seriously doubt he will have learned the WR position and bypassed a few people on the depth chart - which is the only way he becomes fantasy relevant this yr. Dont forget, JAX used their 9th overall pick last yr to get Reggie Williams.

The other 1st RD WR picked this past yr was Roddy White in ATL - Im not up to speed with his developement and how he has looked so far, but I would be suprised to see him burning up the fantasy charts with Vick throwing him the ball. Its definitely possible, but Id consider it highly unlikely.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:39 pm

If I had to pick some guys that weren't already mentioned, I'd have to count Roscoe Parrish from Buffalo in the mix. The Bills love what he's shown so far and he's a real gamebreaker. Speaking of gamebreakers, the speedy Jerome Mathis of Houston might have a chance to make a real impact with nobody opposite Andre Johnson stepping up. I also like Vincent Jackson of San Diego, who's big frame is red zone friendly.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Turnip » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:44 pm

Braylon has the best shot, but I predict that none of the rookie WRs will be *fantasy starters* this year
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:57 pm

i think mike williams and mark clayton are the guys who will make the biggest impact. I also think braylon has a good chance to contribute. Don't expect any of them to exceed 1,000 yds though
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TitaniumTitan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:23 pm

I'm not seeing to much in this years recievers. But if I had to choose it would be Braylon Edwards

Braylon Edwards-

Has alot of potential to become a big star...in the next few years. Although he doesn't have much competition in the rookie WR either. Trent Dilfer has some skill and experience to get the ball to him. Even though he has to compete with Housh and Chad. Hes going to be a ok receiver this year...Well at least better then the others.

Mark Clayton

Well this guy is very good as you saw him in college, but that doesn't mean a thing if the QB cant get it to you. Boller is still low on confidence and I dont think his breakout year is this year, try 06-07. Plus he has to compete with Mason and Heap. Anyway, the Ravens dont throw the ball much, its all running in Baltimore! ;-D

Mike Williams

I see alot in this guy and I think he could be a star. But just like Mark Clayton, Harrington might not get the job done. And just like Clayton he has to share the ball with Roy Williams and Rogers.

I dont see much in any of these guys in there first year, but I have to give it to Edwards. He makes the catches when you need him to. I dont picture me picking him up with only 12 picks in my league. But others may have to.
Thats just my take.

Thanks Joshy and CrimDogg for there awesome sigs.
TitaniumTitan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: In the future, five years ahead. When the Titans actually win the superbowl..

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:19 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:If I had to pick some guys that weren't already mentioned, I'd have to count Roscoe Parrish from Buffalo in the mix. The Bills love what he's shown so far and he's a real gamebreaker. Speaking of gamebreakers, the speedy Jerome Mathis of Houston might have a chance to make a real impact with nobody opposite Andre Johnson stepping up. I also like Vincent Jackson of San Diego, who's big frame is red zone friendly.

Nice call on Parrish DDD. I've read some of the same reports about him. That'll be a tough nut to crack though in that Evans is only in his second season and Moulds is about as entrenched as you get. Still, you never know when injury pops up and after all it is an odd year, we all know what happens to Moulds in odd #ed years.

From what I've read about Mathis and Jackson so far, they appear pretty raw, but definitely projects that could payoff next year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk