Deepest RB pool in quite some time???? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deepest RB pool in quite some time????

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deepest RB pool in quite some time????

Postby bellybrother » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:43 pm

And if you think so, how does that effect your draft strategy?

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:58 pm

My draft strategy is often to pick the best player available regardless of position. Chances are that means I will be picking two running backs before I take anyone else. A lot also depends on the size of the league. My two big money leagues are 14 teamers, so running backs will be thinned out quite a bit by the end of the 2nd round.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:52 pm

I dont think so. I think there's more backs to choose from, but there's still the same amount of RBBC, potentially more. And the newer trend is going toward the goal line carry "stealers". Theres only a handful of backs that at this point there seems to be no threat of losing carries at the goal line or otherwise.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby caneblood » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:41 pm

I agree about the depth at RB. It affects me like this (12 team league):

I plan on taking only 1 back early. I've looked at the dropoff in production from say the 10th best back (late 1st/early 2nd round pick) to the 25-28th best back (5-6th round) and it's not nearly as severe as the dropoff at WR and potentially QB (depending who's available) from the late 1st/early 2nd area to the 5-6th round area. Most teams take their RB's within the 1st 3 rounds so I find that if I skip that, there are very few taken again until the 5-6th round so I can wait. As long as I get a 2nd back before most people get their 3rd back, I'm happy. However I wil carry some extra backs when using this strategy for instance I might take Foster in the 5th/6th and then Goings and Davis down the line. Also, I will grab a bunch of backup RB's late figuring that at least one of them will come through.

If you're in a 14 team league, then the RB depth is still thin.
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bellybrother » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:09 pm

caneblood wrote:I agree about the depth at RB. It affects me like this (12 team league):

I plan on taking only 1 back early. I've looked at the dropoff in production from say the 10th best back (late 1st/early 2nd round pick) to the 25-28th best back (5-6th round) and it's not nearly as severe as the dropoff at WR and potentially QB (depending who's available) from the late 1st/early 2nd area to the 5-6th round area. Most teams take their RB's within the 1st 3 rounds so I find that if I skip that, there are very few taken again until the 5-6th round so I can wait. As long as I get a 2nd back before most people get their 3rd back, I'm happy. However I wil carry some extra backs when using this strategy for instance I might take Foster in the 5th/6th and then Goings and Davis down the line. Also, I will grab a bunch of backup RB's late figuring that at least one of them will come through.

If you're in a 14 team league, then the RB depth is still thin.

I like the extra RB approach but in my league we have positional requierments. We start 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST but have to have roster totles of 3 QB's(one of which has to be a back up of one of our previous 2 backs. ex: Palmer/ Kitna). 4 RB's, 4 WR's, 1 FLEX(but we don't start a flex. this can be any position, which i do use on a rb, but this allows me 5 rb's total), 2 TE's, 2 K's, 2 DST's. So we have NO roster flexiblity. Only that 1 FLEX bench spot. So it's hard to horde rb's. you have to be selective and creative.

Still I wouldn't mind having say a Fred Taylor and Alvin Pearman or Deshaun Foster and Eric Shelton or even a Chris Brown and Travis Henry since the odds are long Brown makes it long w/out an injury giving Henry a chance to take over. Also a Ronnie Brown/Ricky tandem is attractive from a draft spot where Brown should be available early in the 4th and then taking Ricky in the early 6th.

But I totally agree about the drop offs.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:55 pm

I think it's about as good/bad as last year...there are like 5-6 for sure studs, 9-10 other good options, and then a bunch of ????'s and RBBC's. How many people picked Barlow in round 2 or 3 last year? That didn't work out very well.

There will always be duds, even in the first round. There will also be some breakouts. If you're lucky enough to know which guys will break out and you can grab them in round 4, you'll probably do well. Still, most people won't wait that long to pick RB's. All I know is that I don't want to get stuck with a RBBC back nor do I really want a rookie/questionable battle guy as a starter, so I'll be taking them as early as possible (depending on who falls of course :-)).
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:10 pm

Definitely not the deepest....

WR pool is always deep...and filled with gems. Easily found on the WW. So i avoid my #2wr or #3wr so that i can pick up rbs.

Check this out....Last season a guy drafted...12-Teamer

1-Priest
2-Stephen Davis...yes he was a 2nd to 3rd rounder last year.
3-Tiki Barber
4-Reggie Wayne
5-Santana moss
6-Bulger

Had he not taken barber in the third round he would have been DEAD. He made the playoffs and finished in 3rd with some good WW wrs.

My point...had he not picked up that 3rd insurance rb(Barber). He would have been screwed. He was smart enough to cover his ass with a respectable thought to be worn-out rb.

One draft strategy is "Starters b4 Bench" I believe in this execpt for the RB position. I try to grab a #3 or #4 rb before my #2 QB or #2wr or #3wr.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk