Kevin Jones looking strong - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kevin Jones looking strong

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:39 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Yeah - as a Lions fan Im none too impressed that we brought in Garthia. We should have gone after a cheaper Brad Johnson.

Chances are though, if Joey fails this yr we would more than likely cut him and hit the FA market this offseason - there will be more than enough QB talent available that would be able to step into this offense and produce immediately. I seriously doubt we would use a 1st rd pick on a QB next yr if Joey fails.

It all depends.... I could very easily see the Lions taking Chris Leak if he were to come out early and fall to them in the 2006 draft.....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:44 am

fx495232 wrote:i hope so. i don't draft for a few more weeks but i am hoping to land KJ. as for harrington, i won't draft him or garcia, but i just found it interesting that mooch brought in one of his guys. and it was hard to tell what garcia had left in the tank in cleveland, since they sucked so bad. maybe if the lions do bomb this year, they can get the dude from USC (Liner?) next draft instead of another wideout.

If it's as bad as others say and Garcia is history, it could be just a mentor type of deal going down. Mooch is comfortable with Garcia, and probably feels he can help Joey improve this year at a faster pace than he is currently on.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:48 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Yeah - as a Lions fan Im none too impressed that we brought in Garthia. We should have gone after a cheaper Brad Johnson.

Chances are though, if Joey fails this yr we would more than likely cut him and hit the FA market this offseason - there will be more than enough QB talent available that would be able to step into this offense and produce immediately. I seriously doubt we would use a 1st rd pick on a QB next yr if Joey fails.

I agree with you, there is no way the Lions take a Qb in the draft next year if Joey fails. Millen will go after a veteran qb. Trying to bring along another Qb will stunt the growth of the team. Millen needs results now, not in three years.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:48 am

First of all - I fully believe Joey will have a great yr and serve tons of crow to his critics.

However - if he doesnt, isnt Drew Brees going to be on the block after this yr? I know the Lions would have plenty of cap room sans one Joey Harrington this offseason. What other QBs are probably going to be available?

I think the point is, this team is built to succeed in the very near future. Qbs normally take a couple yrs to develop, so Im not sure how happy I would be if the Lions decided to go that route rather than getting the best guy available who could step in immediately.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:06 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:First of all - I fully believe Joey will have a great yr and serve tons of crow to his critics.

However - if he doesnt, isnt Drew Brees going to be on the block after this yr? I know the Lions would have plenty of cap room sans one Joey Harrington this offseason. What other QBs are probably going to be available?

I think the point is, this team is built to succeed in the very near future. Qbs normally take a couple yrs to develop, so Im not sure how happy I would be if the Lions decided to go that route rather than getting the best guy available who could step in immediately.

Other than Brees, I can't think of any other big name guys who are in their contract year....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:24 am

Millen was just given a 5 year extension. So i could see the Lions taking a QB in the draft in the upcoming year, IF Joey faulters.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:03 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:First of all - I fully believe Joey will have a great yr and serve tons of crow to his critics.

Other than Brees, I can't think of any other big name guys who are in their contract year....

I think you are right. Looking at rosters, there doesnt seem to be a lot of turnover expected at this position within the next yr or so. hmm... Makes me think the Brees is gonna be a huge trade target or if he becomes a FA, he's gonna get PAID.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby fx495232 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:50 am

hopefully harrington gets his game going and this won't be an issue. it would be nice to see someone challenge for the division other than the vikes and packers. regardless, there should be some points scored in the division matchups.
fx495232
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Flockers » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:57 am

mutantseabass wrote:Millen was just given a 5 year extension. So i could see the Lions taking a QB in the draft in the upcoming year, WHEN Joey faulters.

I fixed your typo. :-D

If he can't get it done with Jones, Rogers, and the Williams boys he shouldn't be in the league.

Ryan Leaf anyone?
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Turnip » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:02 pm

Garcia runs better, makes better decisions, and knows Mooch's system very well. Harrington has the stronger arm, but it's pointless if you don't know what to do with it. I expect the Lions to give up on Joey somewhere down the line unless he does improve. He hasn't shown me anything, although it's encouraging that a Lion fan thinks he still has hope.

So to me, the addition of Garcia was a smart one. Garcia can be thrown right into the offense and succeed. What if the Lions are on the verge of a breakout season (a big possibility this year), being held back only by QB play? Now at least there's a safe QB behind Joey to lead the offense.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk