Staying Healthy... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Staying Healthy...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Staying Healthy...

Postby Jbyrdo » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:35 pm

In almost every thread there is at least one post about someone being an injury risk or will be great if they can stay healthy. How can people take that into account? As far as I'm concerned anybody that plays football is an injury risk. Do people really take into account "injury concerns" when drafting??
Last edited by Jbyrdo on Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbyrdo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:56 pm

Welcome to the Cafe. ;-D

Yeah - thats a great question.

There was a study done last yr showing how common injuries occur in the NFL - rarely does a player play all 16 games in a season. If any of the archivists know the location of this study, I would love to see it again.

Basically it comes down to personal preference. We know that rankings are based on position scarcity and projections for the most part, but you also have to add in your personal perception of injury risk. There is no formula - small backs do not necessarily get injured more than big backs, etc... What you have to do is judge each player on your own research and bias. Personally, I believe in modern medicine and recovery, so if a player gets injured, has the correct surgery, and rehabs the suggested amount of time, I dont really consider him an injury risk anymore. Hope that helps a little bit. Good question.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Staying Healthy...

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Jbyrdo wrote:In almost every thread there is at least one post about someone being an injury risk or will be great if they can stay healthy. How can people take that into account? As far as I'm concerned anybody that plays football is an injury concer. Do people really take into account "injury concerns" when drafting??

Yes, because there are certain players that, for whatever reason, seem to be perpetually injured.....

Michael Bennett is the classic example....

And there are other players who's style of play, coupled with their level of toughness leave them on the bench more than they should be....

Chris Brown is the classic example.....

Others to worry about include:

Plaxico Burress
Anquan Boldin
Fred Taylor
Deshaun Foster
Domanick Davis

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:02 pm

When a guy gets injured and misses signficant time 4 years in a row, there's more at play there than simple chance.

Didn't you guys play football with your friends growing up? Weren't there always some people that for some reason or another, always ended up being the ones getting hurt?

Yes, freak injuries like a guy's ACL going out once in his career can happen to anyone, but some guys are just more susceptible to the common year after year dings and miss time to them over and over again.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:19 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Jbyrdo wrote:In almost every thread there is at least one post about someone being an injury risk or will be great if they can stay healthy. How can people take that into account? As far as I'm concerned anybody that plays football is an injury concer. Do people really take into account "injury concerns" when drafting??

Yes, because there are certain players that, for whatever reason, seem to be perpetually injured.....

And there are other players who's style of play, coupled with their level of toughness leave them on the bench more than they should be....

Plaxico Burress
Anquan Boldin
Fred Taylor
Deshaun Foster
Domanick Davis

This is hardly a fair assessment of Boldin. He played 16 games as a rookie, and got hurt before the next season, and still played the last 9 games. There has to be more than one injury to say a guy is "injury prone".
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:29 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

Plaxico Burress
Anquan Boldin
Fred Taylor
Deshaun Foster
Domanick Davis

This is hardly a fair assessment of Boldin. He played 16 games as a rookie, and got hurt before the next season, and still played the last 9 games. There has to be more than one injury to say a guy is "injury prone".

I'm an FSU fan.... I've been watching Boldin closely for 5 years, now.... And he IS an injury risk.... He's already had to have surgery on both legs, and neither injury was a contact injury.... They both happened while he was stretching or walking around at practice.... If that's not an injury risk, I don't know what is....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:33 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:

I'm an FSU fan.... I've been watching Boldin closely for 5 years, now.... And he IS an injury risk.... He's already had to have surgery on both legs, and neither injury was a contact injury.... They both happened while he was stretching or walking around at practice.... If that's not an injury risk, I don't know what is....

Okay, I didn't go into his college days, but I didn't think that was necessary. There are alot of guys that got hurt in college that went on to have long, injury free careers. So by this standard, Jamal Lewis should still be a huge injury risk, right? No one really is concerned with that, so I say we have to give guys more than one NFL related injury first. JMO, but I will wait and see.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:41 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

Okay, I didn't go into his college days, but I didn't think that was necessary. There are alot of guys that got hurt in college that went on to have long, injury free careers. So by this standard, Jamal Lewis should still be a huge injury risk, right? No one really is concerned with that, so I say we have to give guys more than one NFL related injury first. JMO, but I will wait and see.

What scares me about Boldin is the nature of his injuries.... I can understand the fact that any guy can catch a helmet in the knee and miss significant amounts of time, but Boldin's injuries are typically practice related, and non-contact injuries.... The guy just has shoddy joints in his legs.... That's all there is to it.... Hopefully you're right, and it will not continue to plague him, but I wouldn't bet my fantasy season on it....

Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:45 pm

I did some searching for that old article, and what I found was dead links. So I'm pretty sure that it's gone.

But in general I agree that it's taken too far, all the injury-prone hype. People like Boldin and Plexiglass Burress are exceptions, but in general, everybody's got the same chance of getting injured more or less. Willis McGahee for example has gone almost three years since his huge knee injury and was awesome last year. People still treat him as if he's a big injury concern because he had that huge freak injury in the NCAA Championship game.

Guys like Boldin, Michael Bennett and Burress though are notorious for getting hurt in practice and non-cantact drills. Michael Bennett was put out almost an entire season because he tripped on a treadmill. Yes, that's freak, but it goes to show that he's not the toughest guy, and isn't that bright either (although when we're talking about comparing him to Miami grads you can't say he's dumb) so he could easily do something dumb again and get hurt. He is also a risk because of the time it always takes him to recover. When he broke his ankle at first they were saying he'd be back around week 6, then midseason, then it wasn't til around week 12 that he returned to the field. Guys that take a long time to recover from injuries I generally try to stay away from.

A different situation yet, although a little like Bennett's is the KW2 -type player. He's a great player, and generally not that injury prone but because of his stupidity you worry about drafting him. Hopefully Kellen learned from his mistake and won't try to learn to fly or something without lessons, but you have to wonder if he's gonna be careful from now on. His leg injury was while playing, and you can't help that; it happens. But if he was dumb enough to try stunts on a high-powered motorcycle with his learners' permit, who knows what he'll do.

Guys like Priest Holmes are the guys I don't hesitate drafting when everybody else is worried about injuries. The guy may be old, but is low milage, he didn't start until 2001. Last year was the first time since becomming a starter that he has missed significant time due to injury, and a hip injury shouldn't be lingering. Yes, if I draft him I will try to get LJ but I'm not going to draft in round 5, as some are doing. I don't feel that he is any more likely to get injured than Daunte Culpepper, or for an example at his position, Clinton Portis or Deuce McAllister; and definitely Ahman Green. Sure I'd take LT2 over him if given the chance, but I'm not gonna pass on Holmes at number two because of injury worries.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk