Jacksonville Jaguars: RB Depth - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jacksonville Jaguars: RB Depth

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jacksonville Jaguars: RB Depth

Postby JoeyRoland » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:44 am

I'm kind of curious what's going to happen in Jacksonville this season.

I know that Fred Taylor will be the starter out of the gate this year. However, I've also seen several sources saying that Alvin Pearman will begin to take some workload.

Now, I understand that LaBrandon Toefield isn't the answer, but why is everyone skipping over Greg Jones? Perhaps there's some news I'm not aware of....

But, I would assume that the Jaguars's depth chart will look like this to start the season:

1. Fred Taylor
2. LaBrandon Toefield (Not for long though)
3. Greg Jones
4. Alvin Pearman

I understand that injuries may dictate a different depth chart, but, in theory, going into the Preseason, doesn't this look right?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide! :-)
JoeyRoland
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:50 am

Jones is being groomed in the FB role. From all accounts, Toefield supposedly has looked just fine running with the first team. I think that the job is his to lose if Taylor can't come back.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:57 am

So many people think that Toefield wont get the job if Freddy doesnt make it back, and I really dont know why. Everything Ive read on him this offseason has been positive and encouraging for him.

So whats the deal? Is it just the mystique of having a rookie come in to the picture or what?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:34 am

I see it like this:

If Fred Taylor is unable to go, Labrandon Toefield would become the defacto starter. After that happens, it's a free for all for playing time and the best man wins mentality.

Toefield is not talented or experienced enough to be solely featured IMO, so I would imagine that Pearman would be used as a RBBC chance of pace almost immediately. If that situation doesn't work out, Greg Jones comes in to replace either one or both of them, and potentially become the featured RB there. Fu would then be moved to fullback...

I don't really think you see either Toefield or Pearman become the featured RB in Jacksonville because neither of them may be talented enough or experienced enough to handle that kind of load (Fred 350+ total touch RB). Greg Jones would be my sleeper candidate for the guy you want to grab if Freddy goes down... They say he is the FB now, but that won't last long when they see the other RBs are not producing from the tailback position.
Last edited by Kensat30 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:37 am

Jones has been moved to fullback, and Taylor may or may not be ready to play at the start of the season.... If that's the case, then it's Toefield and Pearman early on.....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:39 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Jones has been moved to fullback, and Taylor may or may not be ready to play at the start of the season.... If that's the case, then it's Toefield and Pearman early on.....

Interesting to note that on the Jaguar's official website, Greg Jones is now being listed as RB/FB.....Fu is exclusively listed as FB now.

A month ago Fu was RB/FB and Greg Jones was FB....
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Heavyg25 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:30 am

Plindsey88 wrote:Jones has been moved to fullback, and Taylor may or may not be ready to play at the start of the season.... If that's the case, then it's Toefield and Pearman early on.....

The artical I just read stated that he (the "expert") doesn't believe that Toefield has what it takes to be a full time starter and the job would end up in Fu's hands. I will see if I can find a link and add it to this post.

The link is http://www.rotoworld.com/content/featur ... &column=14
Heavyg25
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby JoeyRoland » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:25 pm

Man! - thanks for the article! ;-D

Glad you pointed that out! I'm in a pretty deep keeper league and don't really want to touch any of the Jags' backs, but, given that my number 3 is either Blaylock or Shelton, I'm looking for another bye-week pickup.*

Given that my league deals with contracts and auctions, I'm probably going to give a bit more of my cap to the solid starters or put more emphasis on my defensive players since many will probably go toe-to-toe with me for the premiere backs - no pun intended! :-D

Regardless, it'll be exciting to see what happens in the Preseason. I think those 4 games will heavily influence the careers of the non-Taylor RB's in Jacksonville.

*We can only start 2 RB's at most. I have Kevin Jones and Travis Henry as my 1 & 2.
JoeyRoland
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk