Postby MadScott » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:01 am

:-?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

49ers offensive line hit by injuries
August 4, 2005

Photo
AP - Aug 4, 2:47 pm EDT
More Photos
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- The injuries keep coming for the San Francisco 49ers' beleaguered offensive line.

Starting left tackle Jonas Jennings will undergo surgery Friday to repair a broken right index finger. He'll be out six-to-eight days, leaving the 49ers without three of their projected starters on the line just one week into training camp.

Rookie Patrick Estes took Jennings' place with the first team Thursday and broke a bone in his left hand during the morning practice. Estes' injury will not require surgery and he'll be able to practice with his hand wrapped.

``It's part of the game,'' 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. ``It teaches us to deal with adversities. It's going to happen during the season, so we need to get used to it now. We've had to move some guys, but we're going to be fine.''

The 49ers also are without two-time Pro Bowl center Jeremy Newberry and rookie David Baas, the team's projected starter at right guard. Newberry has a knee problem that could force him to miss the season. He'll return to practice later this month to see how his injury responds.

Baas, the team's second-round draft pick, pulled a hamstring last week and could be out until September. Rookie Adam Snyder, the team's third-round draft pick, emerged from spring drills as the team's top backup at both tackle positions. But he was moved into the starting slot at right guard after Baas was injured.

That moved Estes up the depth chart behind Jennings, the team's top free-agent acquisition. Jennings signed a seven-year, $36 million deal in March to shore up a line that last year allowed 52 sacks, one short of the franchise record.

ADVERTISEMENT
Estes, a seventh-round draft pick, was a backup tight end at the University of Virginia last year. He was moved to tackle after joining the 49ers in May, and now might find himself in the starting lineup for San Francisco's preseason opener Aug. 13 against the Oakland Raiders.

``He could be,'' Nolan said. ``He's going to have to do it. Ready or not, here we come. He has a ways to go, because he's a first-time starter. We put him at the most difficult position on the offensive line, but he's athletic enough where he can do that.''

The 49ers are totally revamping their offensive line this year. They do not have any starters from 2004 who are playing in the same position this year that they finished last season.

Updated on Thursday, Aug 4, 2005 9:45 pm EDT

Damn, that ain't good news, especially just a couple days in. It also sounds like Newberry is gone for the year, as suspected. Even more reason to run Rattay out there and let him take the beating that is going to be dished out this year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:43 am

Wow...hope just keeps flying out the window in large increments. :,-(
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TruNinerFan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:06 pm

I just hope that Nolan dosen't play Smith with our line in shambles. Let Rattay and Dorsey take a beating. We can't let our 50 million dollar investment get killed.

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby MadScott » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:50 pm

The hits just keep on coming...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Fleck rushed to hospital after practice collision
August 5, 2005

Photo
AP - Aug 4, 2:47 pm EDT
More Photos
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Receiver P.J. Fleck was taken to Stanford Hospital on Friday after a practice collision that sent a scare through the San Francisco 49ers' training camp.

The second-year veteran was hit by linebacker Jamie Winborn during 7-on-7 passing drills and was on the ground about 15 minutes while trainers and paramedics attended to him.

Fleck was taped onto a backboard and placed on a gurney and wheeled to an ambulance. He was diagnosed with a back sprain and released after two hours of observation and tests. He was able to walk out of the hospital Friday afternoon.

``P.J.'s fine,'' 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. ``Everything's working out for him. They just wanted to take precautions and make sure it was all OK.''

Fleck was watching practice by the end of the day.

``It looked worse than it was, and thank God it wasn't as bad as everybody thought at first,'' he said. ``I pretty much froze up. About 35 seconds later, I could breathe and I could move. It was scary -- and a little bit embarrassing.''

Nolan said Fleck won't participate in the team's scrimmage Saturday, but he will return to practice Monday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
Fleck is an undrafted free agent who made San Francisco's practice squad as a rookie last year before working his way up to the 53-man roster by the end of the season. He moved past 2004 first-round draft pick Rashaun Woods on the depth chart during spring drills and currently is running as the 49ers' fourth receiver behind veteran Johnnie Morton and projected starters Brandon Lloyd and Arnaz Battle.

The 5-foot-9 Fleck, one of the smallest players on the San Francisco roster, caught a pass in front of Winborn and was hit simultaneously as he turned up field.

``It scared me to death,'' Winborn said. ``It scared everybody. To be honest with you, it scared me so bad I can't even remember what happened. I thought he had time to see me. It was like a freak accident.''

There was immediate concern because of Fleck's initial reaction after he hit the ground.

``He was kind of, I don't want to say in convulsions, but almost,'' said Morton, one of the first players on the scene before trainers arrived. ``He was struggling and really couldn't get any air. I got kind of nervous because it seemed like he was doing that for a while.''

Nolan halted practice momentarily after Fleck was wheeled to the ambulance to assure his players the receiver was all right. After practice resumed, the session was cut 10 minutes early.

No doubts we need Jennings back.

The other part of this article that stuck out was that Fleck was still listed ahead of Woods as the #4 WR. I'm really smelling bust now.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to San Francisco 49ers