RIP Peter Jennings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

RIP Peter Jennings

Moderator: Football Moderators

RIP Peter Jennings

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:34 am

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Nearly four months to the day since he announced in a hoarse voice on his evening newscast that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer, longtime ABC "World News Tonight" anchor Peter Jennings died Sunday, according to the ABC News network. He was 67.

The solemn announcement was made late Sunday by "Good Morning America" co-host Charles Gibson, who said Jennings died in his New York City apartment. His wife, Kayce, his children Elizabeth and Christopher, and his sister were at his side, Gibson said.

He read a statement from the family that said: "Peter died with his family around him, without pain and in peace. He knew he had lived a good life."

At a time when all three U.S. major broadcast networks saw their evening news anchor spots change hands in less than a year, Jennings' departure was a surprise. Both NBC's Tom Brokaw and CBS' Dan Rather announced their plans well in advance, but Jennings' illness forced a quick decision.

In a written statement Sunday to ABC News staff, network President Dave Westin said: "It is with great sadness I write to say that Peter Jennings passed away earlier this evening. For four decades, he has been our colleague, our friend, and our leader in so many ways. None of us will be the same without him.

"As you all know, Peter learned only this spring that the health problem he'd been struggling with was lung cancer. With Kayce, he moved straight into an aggressive chemotherapy treatment. He knew that it was an uphill struggle. But he faced it with realism, courage, and a firm hope that he would be one of the fortunate ones. In the end, he was not."

"We will have many opportunities in the coming hours and days to remember Peter for all that he meant to us all. ... But for the moment, the finest tribute we can give is to continue to do the work he loved so much and inspired us to do."

Jennings, a native Canadian who became a U.S. citizen in 2003, had said he would continue to host "World News Tonight" when possible. Since the announcement, Gibson and ABC's Elizabeth Vargas have filled in for him as temporary anchors.

The veteran anchorman had said he was determined to fight the disease, citing National Cancer Institute statistics that nearly 10 million Americans are living with cancer. "I have a lot to learn from them, and 'living' is the key word," he said.

Since April 5, when Jennings announced his diagnosis on the news program, he kept his public comments positive. Even during the initial announcement, he said he would be undergoing chemotherapy and joked about losing his hair.

"I wonder if other men and women ask their doctors right away, 'OK, doc, when does the hair go?'" said the immaculately dressed and coifed Jennings.

He admitted being a smoker until about 20 years ago, and said he "was weak and I smoked over 9/11."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/0 ... index.html

More sad news to pass along...
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:42 am

RIP.....
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:05 am

Just heard this news on the radio. Truly sad. Sounds like it was much further along than realized.

RIP
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:06 am

One of the few non-airheads left... RIP
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:28 am

wow thats huge news... he was great at what he did and will be missed. RIP.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:32 am

Yea, he was one of the best.
RIP :,-(
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:32 am

RIP :,-(
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:32 am

Wow..This really is sad. Just goes to show how fast cancer can take over.

He seemed pretty classy and great as an anchor.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:20 am

Definately one of my favorite anchormen. God speed Peter Jennings.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A2theIzzo » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:38 pm

WOW, RIP
A2theIzzo
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk