Anyone catch the HOF game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Anyone catch the HOF game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:15 pm

creamdoorthirtyniner wrote:That's something I'd expect out of Leonard Henry, not Ricky Williams. It drops him a spot or two in my rankings :-t

Yea, it drops him a few spots in my rankings, too. But does it really matter when that change is from your #39 ranked RB to your #43 RB? ;-)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone catch the HOF game

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:04 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Bruschi wrote:I just got to look at the stats. Missed the game. From what I can pull from stats -

Looks like Gus Frerotte had a good game, getting subbed in the 2nd qtr after Feely got hurt.

I liked his ability to put the ball where his WR can get it. The 30+ yard route to Chambers that Frerotte tossed up into double coverage (CHambers caught it and got the PI) looks promising for Chambers. I'm warming up to Chambers in the 6th round.

Thomas Jones racked up a lot of yards and a score just in the 1st qtr against Miami's 1st string D

Looked similar to last year, I have trouble seeing Benson becoming featured until T.Jones gets an injury. Thomas Jones will inevitably fail of course, because he is a turd, but Benson is too far behind right now to be an instant starter like Cadillac.

CHI rookie Mark Bradley, playing later but with a sore foot ate up the Fins with 131 yds including a 45yd catch. He may be a nice #2 with Mushy. He'll be battling with Justin Gage for that position. Bernard Berrian also had 3 20+yd catches in the 2nd qtr.

Berrian looked like the guy to target if you want the Bear's #2. Bradley got most of his work on the 2nd team, while Berrian was putting up his big plays on the 1st team. On a sidenote, Kyle Orton looked very good in his limited PT, probably rubbed off on Bradley.

The fin's O-line (though playing against a stout CHI D) looks pathetic. Miami rushing averages were horrible.

Agreed, Hudson isn't a miracle worker. Vernon Carey looked horrible. Play your situational fantasy D against Miami again in '05.

The CHI D as a whole looked very solid as usual with both Urlacher and Ogunleye getting sacks.

Agreed, they should easily be a top10 fantasy D in systems based on sacks and turnovers.

Heck, last year they were top 10 in most scoring systems. Since they got better they should be a nice sleeper D. They also have a lot of TD returns (thanks to Brown, Azumah, Vasher etc)
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby loophole21 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:28 pm

The bottom line is that the Dolphins O-Line is atrocious. They couldn't handle the Bear's blitz, and the running game was horrible. Ricky had one nice run, but besides that he seemed to be running into a wall, without any holes opened up in front of him.
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:50 pm

And Ronnie Brown's stock continues to fall fast.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Anyone catch the HOF game

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:02 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Bruschi wrote:I just got to look at the stats. Missed the game. From what I can pull from stats -

Looks like Gus Frerotte had a good game, getting subbed in the 2nd qtr after Feely got hurt.

I liked his ability to put the ball where his WR can get it. The 30+ yard route to Chambers that Frerotte tossed up into double coverage (CHambers caught it and got the PI) looks promising for Chambers. I'm warming up to Chambers in the 6th round.

Thomas Jones racked up a lot of yards and a score just in the 1st qtr against Miami's 1st string D

Looked similar to last year, I have trouble seeing Benson becoming featured until T.Jones gets an injury. Thomas Jones will inevitably fail of course, because he is a turd, but Benson is too far behind right now to be an instant starter like Cadillac.

CHI rookie Mark Bradley, playing later but with a sore foot ate up the Fins with 131 yds including a 45yd catch. He may be a nice #2 with Mushy. He'll be battling with Justin Gage for that position. Bernard Berrian also had 3 20+yd catches in the 2nd qtr.

Berrian looked like the guy to target if you want the Bear's #2. Bradley got most of his work on the 2nd team, while Berrian was putting up his big plays on the 1st team. On a sidenote, Kyle Orton looked very good in his limited PT, probably rubbed off on Bradley.

The fin's O-line (though playing against a stout CHI D) looks pathetic. Miami rushing averages were horrible.

Agreed, Hudson isn't a miracle worker. Vernon Carey looked horrible. Play your situational fantasy D against Miami again in '05.

The CHI D as a whole looked very solid as usual with both Urlacher and Ogunleye getting sacks.

Agreed, they should easily be a top10 fantasy D in systems based on sacks and turnovers.

Heck, last year they were top 10 in most scoring systems. Since they got better they should be a nice sleeper D. They also have a lot of TD returns (thanks to Brown, Azumah, Vasher etc)

Last year they were kinda eh because of their run D. Sure they were top10, but that was because of the D/ST TDs, which I think are very unpredictable. This year they could have combined value (scoring/yardage vs. sack/turnover)if that run D steps it up a notch and the playmakers in the secondary limit the big plays.

Of course they have value based on the sacks/turnovers alone, but I want a D that can hold opponents to low yardage, scores, etc. before I declare them a lock for the top10.

Still a very good value as a last round defense, I'm not gonna go out and spend a 12th round pick on them though like I would for Carolina or Philly.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby VaderFin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:52 pm

loophole21 wrote:The bottom line is that the Dolphins O-Line is atrocious. They couldn't handle the Bear's blitz, and the running game was horrible. Ricky had one nice run, but besides that he seemed to be running into a wall, without any holes opened up in front of him.

Yay another Dolphins fan!!

You can't drop anyone's stock after one meaningless preseason game where the teams don't game plan and they only get a couple carries or a couple passes thrown their way unless they are scrubs. Well, you can do it but you would be silly too. Especially a RB who needs carries and usually runs the best in the second half of games.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UNDEFEATED » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:23 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I watched the 1st qtr.

CHI looked mean. This is a very very physical team. TJones is going to get lots of work on this team, and those expecting Benson to come in and take over really need to reconsider the situation.

I have been saying this all summer. Especially after the draft.

Tjones looked good. Real good. Keep this on the DL. Nobody come into this fourm much anyways.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby VaderFin » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:05 am

From the Miami Herald, here are some comments from Saban that say exactly what I was talking about when it comes to the O Line and the Bears D:

Saban said part of the problem with the blocking for the running game was the high use of eight-man fronts and blitzes by Chicago. The tactics by the Bears were somewhat odd for an exhibition game, but not something that couldn't have been handled with some normal preparation typical of the regular season.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:48 am

VaderFin wrote:From the Miami Herald, here are some comments from Saban that say exactly what I was talking about when it comes to the O Line and the Bears D:

Saban said part of the problem with the blocking for the running game was the high use of eight-man fronts and blitzes by Chicago. The tactics by the Bears were somewhat odd for an exhibition game, but not something that couldn't have been handled with some normal preparation typical of the regular season.

So basically what Saban is saying is that his players weren't prepared for handling the blitz. How long does it take to throw that kind of protection together? Don't NFL coaches usually make adjustments during the game if they're getting beat up?

Of course he's not gonna come out and say "yup, our o-line still sucks despite paying our o-line coach the highest salary in the history of the NFL" or "Vernon Carey is a scrub, but we'll make do until we can find someone better"
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby VaderFin » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:41 am

Kensat30 wrote:
VaderFin wrote:From the Miami Herald, here are some comments from Saban that say exactly what I was talking about when it comes to the O Line and the Bears D:

So basically what Saban is saying is that his players weren't prepared for handling the blitz. How long does it take to throw that kind of protection together? Don't NFL coaches usually make adjustments during the game if they're getting beat up?

Of course he's not gonna come out and say "yup, our o-line still sucks despite paying our o-line coach the highest salary in the history of the NFL" or "Vernon Carey is a scrub, but we'll make do until we can find someone better"

It's common knowledge that teams don't game plan for the first couple preseason games and that they are "going to run what they are going to run" just to see how things go. Especially the first game. And yes you are right, they were not prepared for handling the multi look blitzes that Chicago threw at them...it was the HOF game and there are 4 new lineman on the starting line. 4 new lineman who need time to adjust...if the line looks the same come the 4th game THEN I will be worried.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting