Anyone have a answer to this - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Anyone have a answer to this

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone have a answer to this

Postby Calyxes » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm

I was drinking a couple of beers last night with some friends while we talked about our up comming draft. A question came up that no one knew the answer to. The question is has any NFL player ever died while on the field. I could not think of anyone who has. I know lots have been injured for life but not killed while palying.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:47 pm

I don't know of any NFL guys off-hand, but an Arena league player died on the field last year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... eath_x.htm
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:48 pm

anyone have an answer to this* :-b

i doubt any player has died on the field, but the vikings player that died a few yrs ago in training camp, does that count?
whoseyourdaddy12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:07 pm

source: charlotte.com
Several NFL players have died shortly after games, though no one has been declared dead on the field.

Detroit Lions receiver Chuck Hughes died from a heart attack on Oct. 24, 1971. Hughes entered late in the fourth quarter and ran a deep route over the middle. As he headed back to the huddle, he collapsed.

Washington Redskins tackle Dave Sparks and Chicago Cardinals tackle Stan Mauldin died of heart attacks after games. Sparks died in 1954 three hours after a game, while Mauldin collapsed in the locker room in 1948.

In 1963, Kansas City running back Stone Johnson died 10 days after he broke his neck blocking on a kickoff return in an exhibition game. In 1960, New York Titans tackle Howard Glenn died within hours after breaking his neck.

Two college football players died from neck-related injuries in the past 15 years. Mississippi defensive back Chucky Mullins died 18 months after he was paralyzed during a tackle in 1989. Washington defensive back Curtis Williams sustained a similar injury in 2000 and died in 2002
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Arena

Postby Straightgoindonkey » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:10 pm

Former NFL defensive lineman Al Lucas died Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury sustained while trying to make a tackle for the Los Angeles Avengers during an Arena Football League game

But I don't see any in active NFL play.
Straightgoindonkey
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dirt Bag » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:35 pm

yeah i dont think any NFL have died ON the field but a few years ago, Cory Stringer died from heat stroke in practice, i could have been on the practice field. :-?
Dirt Bag
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:07 pm

Just found this today.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/ ... 3007.shtml

Chuck Hughes number #85 died in 1971.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:13 pm

The Lions trailed the Bears 28-23 late in the fourth quarter, and had the ball. With the Lions running a two-minute drill, wide receiver Chuck Hughes came into the game, and went deep over the middle on a play that ended with an incomplete pass intended for another receiver. As he headed back to the huddle, he collapsed. Bears middle linebacker Dick Butkus got to him first and alerted the Lions bench. Team doctor Richard Thompson came onto the field and tried to resuscitate Hughes, unsuccessfully. The game was finished in silence.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/footbal ... ments.html
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:49 pm

Calyxes wrote:
The Lions trailed the Bears 28-23 late in the fourth quarter, and had the ball. With the Lions running a two-minute drill, wide receiver Chuck Hughes came into the game, and went deep over the middle on a play that ended with an incomplete pass intended for another receiver. As he headed back to the huddle, he collapsed. Bears middle linebacker Dick Butkus got to him first and alerted the Lions bench. Team doctor Richard Thompson came onto the field and tried to resuscitate Hughes, unsuccessfully. The game was finished in silence.

I remember this - a photographer took a picture with a zoom lens that made it look like Butkus was looming over Hughes (lying on the ground) when he was really standing several yards away. Butkus really had nothing to do with it other than helping him.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk