Rgud Jrybitf Gtrskinh ztulrd!!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Rgud Jrybitf Gtrskinh ztulrd!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rgud Jrybitf Gtrskinh ztulrd!!!!

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:28 pm

Yeah, I typed that wrong on purpose. But, if I use this thing, maybe I'll get better! :-b

Yahoo! News wrote:Review: New Blank Keyboard for Geeks

DALLAS - Typing on a Das Keyboard is a lot like typing on any other computer keyboard — except the keys are blank. Most people, especially those who rely on the slow but steady hunt-and-peck technique, might consider that a problem.

Not Daniel Guermeur, chief executive of Austin-based Metadot Corp. The self-proclaimed "uber geek" says he first came up with the idea for a blank keyboard while attending Stanford University in 1989. It was there that the French native noticed others typing much faster than he was. "I was an OK typist but I was slowing down when I looked at the special characters," said Guermeur, 41. "One day I said, `If I could just improve my typing I could be much more efficient.'"

Two years ago, he built a prototype to test his hypothesis that a blank keyboard would force him to become a better typist. After many people asked him where he bought it, he decided to start making them commercially. And recently, Guermeur began selling the keyboards for $80 with a new marketing spin: "Das Keyboard. Uber Geeks only."

For those needing a foreign language primer, "das" means "the" in German, and the name has to do with the fact that it's intended for "uber" (roughly translated to "super" in German) computer pros. "People willing to buy this are total geeks," says Guermeur, a former tech manager for oil field services company Schlumberger Ltd. "The creme of the geeks."

The black, enhanced USB keyboard has 104 keys — all of them blank — in a wedge-shaped design reminiscent of the fabled IBM Model M, a keyboard with spring-loaded, clicking keys considered by some to be the greatest keyboard ever built.

As a reporter, my fingers are pretty much glued to the keyboard anyway, so I figured using Das Keyboard for a week would be a minor adjustment. It is indeed comfortable to use, with five different key weights designed to keep the fingers nimble. The space bar, for example, requires slightly more effort to press than a quick tap of the "c" key.

I've found I don't look down at the keys as much as I thought I would. Yet I still keep a normal keyboard nearby. (Apparently I need more practice before I reach uber status. Certain keys still give me occasional problems, among them the apostrophe, the colon and the squiggly bracket.

My office colleagues remain largely unconvinced. The conversation usually goes something like this: I say, "Hey fellow worker, look at this new keyboard I'm testing out." They look down and the expanse of empty black squares, shrivel their nose and ask incredulously, "Why?" I tell them by using it, I'm showing how cool and smart I am. Then they walk away, shaking their heads (whether it's in humor, befuddlement or jealousy, I can't really tell).

I left Das Keyboard connected to an office PC shared with others. (It's compatible with Windows, Mac, OS X, and Linux operating systems.) Sure enough, the next day Das Keyboard had been unplugged in favor of a standard keyboard.

A popular observation: Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a normal keyboard and either strip off the markings or give it a quick coat of spray paint? "You could do it," Guermeur concedes, "but it's a pain in the butt to do that, a major pain. Also the paint would wear off eventually."

It might seem a gimmick, but Guermeur maintains Das Keyboard is an invention rooted in logic. "If you look at a piano, it doesn't have notes on the keys, it's blank," he says. "Writing letters seems like a good help but actually it's not. It's counterintuitive, actually."

The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Manja » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:34 pm

As long as the F and J have the markings, I'd be fine with that.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:41 pm

I would be up a certain creek without a paddle if I was forced to use that keyboard. :-o
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:50 pm

A computer would be useless with that keyboard for me.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:54 pm

I'm sure Mercer would buy it, no chance I would have a chance using it.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Manja » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:56 pm

Come on, folks. Touch typing is so damn easy. Then again, I did learn how to type when I was in kindergarden...
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:15 pm

I could survive ;-D

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:19 pm

ha. that's awsome. id buy one.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MCG321 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:40 pm

That'd be fine.

However, the ULTIMATE keyboard:

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

C'mon, how cool is that? LCD screens for each key!

MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Manja » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:42 pm

MCG321 wrote:However, the ULTIMATE keyboard:

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

C'mon, how cool is that? LCD screens for each key!

Holy effin' cow! I'd give my third testicle for that... Err... that didn't come out right.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to General Talk