Who is the 4th Best Rb - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the 4th Best Rb

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:49 am

id take edge at the 4 spot. he is super reliable and consistent, not to mention gets pretty decent recieving yards. i expect the colts to use him more in the redzone this year since manning wont be trying to break the passing TD record every week. (maybe they will actually try running it in from the 2 yard line a few times this year). i like mcgahee at 5, jamal at 6 and deuce at 7....but all 4 of these guys are very close in my book, and really wouldnt cry too much at all if i ended up with deuce instead of edge (or the other 2).
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:04 am

Warpigs wrote:For the record, I look at him, Deuce and Jamal for the 4-5-6 spots with Edge easily at No. 7.

Just curious...why would a healthy Edge with a pretty solid history of production rank below guys coming off a subpar year like Deuce, or a guy who is coming off a jail term and had ankle surgery?
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:17 am

DGroundhog wrote:
Warpigs wrote:For the record, I look at him, Deuce and Jamal for the 4-5-6 spots with Edge easily at No. 7.

Just curious...why would a healthy Edge with a pretty solid history of production rank below guys coming off a subpar year like Deuce, or a guy who is coming off a jail term and had ankle surgery?

That's because, unlike some others within this thread, I don't feel that Edge will have a solid season for Indy. There are just too many options in that offense for me to feel comfortable with Edge. When I pick fourth in a 12-team league, I know that it is going to be a VERY long time until I get to draft again. I want to take the guy that I feel is the safest pick. You're right that he's healthy, but I'm more concerned about the offense he's in. Another factor is the defense. While it is somewhat improved over last year, it's not a squad that will shut opponents down. It's not like a Baltimore defense that will keep scores low and allow the offense to grind out the clock on the ground. Edge could be the best player fantasy-wise any given season, but I just don't think he's as safe as some think at that early of a position in the draft.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:16 am

It's become a pickem between Edge and McGahee for me;push come to shove if I got the 4th pick I might look to trade down to the 5th. Of course if some goofball picks 4th and takes someone off the wall you'd still have to choose at 5.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby PSU All Day » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:49 am

I think the issue with McGahee is Lossman. While Bledsoe was not great he had been very good and the league knew that he had to be respected at least a little bit. With Lossman he is a rookie and still learning to recognize defenses. Early in hte year the book on beating the Bills will be load 8 in the box and take mcGahee out of the game and force Lossman to prove he can win games with his arm.

I think McGahee will be a top 5-10 back this year but I think most of his production will come after the first 4 games or so.

I will be watching closely because I will try to trade for him if he has a tough few games hoping that his owner will be willing to sell low.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:37 am

Jamal Lewis, followed closely by Deuce, followed closely by Edge.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mr. Copernicus » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:54 am

I like K. Jones better than Edge this year and next and the one after that (lol). Seriously, I don't think it's a stretch to say that KJ will out perform him. A player who gets lost in the shuffle and I forgot to comment on in reply to similar debate (4th best) is S. Jackson... maybe too high, but I could see him right there with Jones and ahead of all of the other young guns that seem to get WAAAAAY more ink.

All in all if I were drafting and the 3 you have at top are gone I'd probably take Martin, Dillon, or Duece in a redraft or Duece, Dom, JJ or one of the guys I mentioned up top if I was basing it more on potential in a keeper or dynasty league.

note: McGahee might have a rough go with Losman in there whereas JJ seems to have a better situation a) I'd say Bledsoe is better than Vinny and the receiving corps will be full strength this year b) the Cowboys D is no doubt gonna have the personnel to do what Tuna wants while the Bills let the best stuffer in the game leave town.

aaand... I suppose I'd take Lewis there too, but ONLY in a redraft!
Mr. Copernicus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PACKman1144 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:49 am

E. James is my #4. Then I'd put McGahee at 5, 6- Duece 7-Jamal.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby socceryank » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:52 am

Mr. Copernicus wrote:All in all if I were drafting and the 3 you have at top are gone I'd probably take Martin, Dillon, or Duece in a redraft or Duece, Dom, JJ or one of the guys I mentioned up top if I was basing it more on potential in a keeper or dynasty league.

aaand... I suppose I'd take Lewis there too, but ONLY in a redraft!

Not sure I follow exactly your intent, but are you saying that you MIGHT take Lewis over Martin? I sure hope you would DEFINITELY take him over Martin!
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mr. Copernicus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:07 am

Yeah sorry, I got a little sloppy and cofusing I guess. I WOULD take Martin over Jamal maybe period but DEFINITELY in a point per catch league. My reasons are as follows:

I think every defense in the the East has been weakend whereas the North is probably on the rise (yes the Browns will be shakey but a complete retooling of the front four was a good start).

Martin has a better coordinator and I could see the drop-off in rushing being made up by him catching a few more balls this year. (will comment on Rav's offense below)

Curtis is an older back but according to any magazine or expert that was supposed to end it all for him last year. In my view, I still take Martin ahead of Jamal in a keeper league because Martin has always been as healthy as you could hope for a RB to be and J-Lew's knees (and life off the field) are all ticking time bombs IMO.

Jets brought in a similar backup to the one that left town (Blaylock/Jordan) only that Blaylock has alot less upside than Lamont and therefore is no risk to unseat Martin. The Ravens added some passing weapons and matched the offer to keep Chester Taylor in Batimore... to me this suggests that Billick is again hoping to install a "Billick" offense. Do I think they could or would phase Lewis out: HELL NO, but what I'm saying is that surely those things add up to more touches for Chester.

And last but not least, I HATE Lewis, his team, his college team, his style of play, and anyone who misses time because of off the field crap. I would ALWAYS prefer a back that could hurt you more than one way unless its a touchdown only league or something, but I'd never take part in something so boring LOL.
Mr. Copernicus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk