Keeping Preseason In Perspective... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeping Preseason In Perspective...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeping Preseason In Perspective...

Postby Warpigs » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:24 am

This is more for the fantasy newbies, but we all could use a shot in the arm once in a while to not dwell on preseason play too strongly. Outside of injuries that could affect regular season play, the preseason has limited value to the fantasy world...

Don't get worked up over preseason games

By: Kirk "Dr. Football" Bouyelas, Special to SI.com

As far as I'm concerned, the NFL preseason is evil demented torture. Its only purpose is to tease the football faithful and confuse fantasy football owners. Sure, we get to watch our favorite stars -- for about 12 minutes. There's Peyton Manning who threw a record breaking 49 touchdowns last year, handing the ball off three times and then trotting off the field. Wow, it's Priest Holmes holding a clipboard on the sidelines looking as though he may go in at any moment -- or not.

When it comes right down to it, you can't blame the players for their lack of activity or intensity. Remember, the preseason is evil. The games mean absolutely nothing. The truth be known, coaches could care less if they lose a preseason game. Does anyone even remember that the Patriots went 1-3 in the preseason last year? Of course not. The only memories fans have, are a 14-2 season and a Super Bowl victory.

Believing that the preseason is real football, fantasy football enthusiasts will eagerly watch preseason games on television. Many will find themselves scouting teams, coaches and players alike. They will be relying heavily on preseason games to prepare for their fantasy draft. But remember, the preseason is evil. Extreme caution should be employed when looking through the box scores for fantasy insight. In the case of preseason games, statistics do lie. Clear cut starters will have pathetic stats, while perennial backups will rack up the yardage. When dealing with preseason, I would offer this advice: Don't get overly impressed or overly depressed.

Don't Be Overly Impressed

In offices all across the country, the small talk now shifts to football. Let's listen in to a couple of friends talking about a recent preseason game ...

"Wow, did you see that guy last night? Some guy from San Diego scampered for a 50-yard score." "Yeah, and some receiver for Buffalo caught a 60-yard touchdown strike. By the way, what was his name again?" "I don't know; never saw the guy before last night."

The conversation is great, because it gets the football juices flowing again. However, don't become overly impressed with these unknown preseason stars. Chances are that the "star" third-string running back or sixth-string receiver will remain buried on the team's depth chart. It doesn't matter how well he performs in preseason. Remember he's playing against the third-string linebackers, corners and safeties. This guy may have problems making the team, much less break into the starting lineup. It's just the reality of the situation.

NFL coaches view the preseason as an opportunity to see how backup players perform in game conditions. Some guys look great in practice, but fall apart under live game conditions. As such, the backup players are featured in preseason games, to see if they can cut it. The third- and fourth-string players are not fighting for a starting job, they're just fighting for a job.
Don't become overly impressed with these pre-season wonders. Unless catastrophe hits, they won't ever supplant the Mannings, Tomlinsons and Owenses of the league.

Don't Get Overly Depressed

Let's switch back to the football talk around the office cooler for a moment. Let's listen in to the guys again ...

"Man, I'm bummed out. I was going to draft Shaun Alexander, but he didn't play well in last night's game. He was only in for two possessions and really didn't impress me at all." "Yeah, I know what you mean. Maybe he's hurt or he's lost a step. What do you think?"

This conversation is potentially dangerous and very foolish. Coach Mike Holmgren knows what Alexander is capable of. Moreover, Alexander does not need to prove himself or show his wares. The fact that he may have played poorly or was used sparingly, should not concern anyone who understands the dynamics of preseason football.

If you were to query every coach in the league, you would find that the vast majority would rather just skip the preseason. Coaches don't want to endanger their starters. They will use every trick in the book to avoid them from playing. Just look at some of the injuries keeping players out of the preseason games -- tweaked hamstring, stiff shoulder, cramps, hang nail?? Come on -- these aren't legitimate injuries.

Don't become overly depressed about the stats or performance of a known commodity like Daunte Culpepper, Deuce McAllister or Marvin Harrison. Use their past performance to guide you with your draft preparation. It really doesn't matter if Culpepper throws for a combined 50 yards in all of his preseason appearances. He'll be under center for the first game of the regular season and racking up the yards as usual. Remember, the preseason is evil. Don't get overly impressed or overly depressed.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Thanks

Postby mystykoekaki » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:12 am

Thanks, this article has major insights and will show the n00bs in my league a thing or two...yeah you know what I mean, the n00bs that think trading Holmes for Vick is a good idea (actually have that going on right now, sickens me...damn Madden player). I will share this with them and hope they learn something valuable. Thanks again!

Mystykoekaki
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:17 am

Man, y'all got to keep this quiet. This is a great time to really improve your team.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:43 am

I love all the people who instantly drop Carson Palmer down their depth chart because he had a poor outing against the Pats tonite. "Oh, did you see how horrible Palmer played tonite? Maybe this really isn't the year for him to take the next step!"

Fantasy rookie. Get your head out of your arse. One game and all the sudden you get your undies in a bunch.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DelhommesFan1 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:43 pm

yea...its funny when people take too much into the preseason. cause its exactly that...PREseason
DelhommesFan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:25 am

This should almost be a sticky, just to pound it into people's heads when they log on here. I see all these threads about how so-and-so looked terrible, only had 4 yds rushing, and how his stock just dropped and it makes me laugh. Did you happen to realize the guy got 2 carries and headed for the bench, BECAUSE IT'S PRESEASON? Look at the big picture kids, there's more to football than a preseason game.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:37 am

Yeah!

I hate it when people post threads about how a fantasy stud comes out of a preseason game and then has the stones to say "I told you so!"
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gatorman1122 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:01 pm

Remember, the preseason is evil. Don't get overly impressed or overly depressed.

Must resist....Brandon Jacobs hype... :-P
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:52 pm

It's the same every year - if your player has a bad game, you say it's only preseason and it doesn't mean anything. If your player has a good game, you say it shows he's gonna have a big year and you were right to draft him.
:-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Return to Football Talk