Auction/Keeper League Scenario - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Auction/Keeper League Scenario

Moderator: Football Moderators

Auction/Keeper League Scenario

Postby Little Johnny » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:13 pm

I wanted to run this scenario by the resident auction league experts. Last year I started a local 8-team auction/keeper league. We started with 8 excellent owners with the intent of expanding to 12 owners within the next 2 years. We use a $26 cap for the starting line up, which includes: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, OFLEX, TE, K, and DEF. The remaining 9 bench players are drafted. The minimum bidding increment is 20 cents. A maximum of 3 keepers are permitted, with no more than 2 players at the same position. Scoring is 6 points for all TD's, 1 point per 10 rush/rec yards, and 1 point per 25 passing yards. The remainder of the scoring is fairly standard. We recently met to declare our keepers. Below is the list of keepers with prices.

Team 1: Peyton Manning $4.20, Antonio Gates $.60
Team 2: Trent Green $.60, Tiki Barber $.60, Rudi Johnson $2.00
Team 3: Brett Favre $.20, Alge Crumpler $.20, David Akers $.20
Team 4: Daunte Culpepper $5.00, Reggie Wayne $.60, Joe Horn $2.40
Team 5: Donovan McNabb $2.40, Dominick Davis $5.80, Buffalo $.60
Team 6: Willis McGahee $2.00, Steven Jackson $.60, Tony Gonzalez $3.40
Team 7: Julius Jones $1.00, Michael Clayton $.60
Team 8: Lamont Jordan $.60, Randy Moss $6.60, Chad Johnson $3.60

My team is Team 1. I won the league last year but decided not to keep any running backs since I had paid market value for them. I am wondering what you feel my strategy should be going into this year's auction. I will obviously need to get a couple stud running backs since several teams already have two. I am heading into the auction with the intention of bringing up running backs that I am not interested in, hoping to fill up the running back and OFLEX slots that the other teams have. This would give me a better chance of landing two of the backs that I covet. I would be interested in hearing thoughts from experienced auction/keeper league owners. Thanks a million for any input you may have!!! ;-D

Johnny
Little Johnny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:58 pm

With eight teams, you'll be in much better shape than if you had already expanded to 12. Even so, getting two stud RBs might be tough. Calling out players you don't want is certainly a good strategy, but I'd also make sure you land a few sleepers at other positions so that you'll have enough left over for your RBs.

In general, if you have a player at value, consider keeping him. Since most teams will be keeping players with lower price tags than their actual value, there's more money left over for the players to be auctioned, and draft inflation kicks in: the average player will go for slightly more than his value.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Little Johnny » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:17 pm

Thanks for the input, Arlo. I expect a great deal of inflation, particularly at RB. Do you think I would be smart to start with a top 3 RB in hopes that I could catch the others off-guard with respect to inflation? That would really push the value of the other 2 top backs up, which I would not want to acquire.

I am also considering starting with backs like Kevin Jones, because a few teams are only going to be interested in pursuing LT, Holmes, or Alexander, since they have a good deal of money to spend and only one slot for a RB.
Little Johnny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:10 pm

Starting off with the guy you want is risky, but can be very effective, particularly if you start with an imposing bid. I don't really think there's a universal answer as to whether it's a smart ploy; at that point, it comes down to mind games and how well you know your opponents.

In general, I do like the tactic, though. Good luck! :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:35 pm

I think in auction leagues especially keeper leagues with inflation it ivariably seems to have the same pattern,,,,,,

First few players(assuming they are the studs) go for what seems to be really REALLLLLY high as EVERYONE has money and is ready to spend it........This usually last 3 or 4 players,,,,(i am guessing(LT2,Priest,Alexander and either Moss or Culpepper)..

Then things will settle down a little bit and the prices will still seem high but will be more normal....

Then things go nuttyyyyyy the last few RB's are coming out and going for prices that are not the level of the LT2 but not a whole lot less either....Suddenly that money spent on the studs doesnt really look so bad anymore.

just my opinion and the way i have always seen it go...

INK
"THERE WAS SHRINKAGE!!!!!" - George costanza
INKcogKNEEdough
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk