Ok, Seriously, what do you do at #4 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ok, Seriously, what do you do at #4

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ok, Seriously, what do you do at #4

Postby Flux » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:49 pm

I just finished a draft, had the #4 pick. What do you do?

Do you take Willis, Edge, Deuce, Jamal, Peyton, who?

With LT, Priest, and Alexander off the table, I think #4 is the hardest spot to draft in.

Willis - can he stay healthy, has a 1st year QB, lost O-line help

Edge - how much is Manning going to throw, had terrible redzone efficiency, could lose carries as it seems like this is his last year in IND

Deuce - has been hurt a couple times, Brooks at QB, did they really change the offensive scheme

Jamal - Is his ankle healthy, is he in shape, will they pass more, can he stay out of jail

Peyton - was last year a fluke, will he put up the same stats w/ no Pollard and a hurt Stokley, will Edge get more carries

What do you do at #4? This is perhaps the least envious position in a draft IMO
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gatorman1122 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:16 pm

Knowing the scoring system will help.... ;-)
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flux » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:24 pm

4 pts per passing TD, -2 per INT, 1 pt per 25 yds.

1 pt per 10 yds rushing/receiving, 6 pts per TD....

Pretty normal scoring :-?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mrpu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:26 pm

I've did 2 mock drafts at that slot and I didn't like either of my teams. The first team I went with Manning and Second time I took Duece. Both the leagues were High Performance leagues. I've came to the conclusion that I do not want that spot. I either want 1-3 to makes sure I get either Lt, SA or PH or I would like anywhere from 8-12. Just my two cents
Mrpu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby socceryank » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:47 pm

I'm right there with you, Flux. When I was picked for the 4th spot, I was pretty excited, but now that I've had the weekend to think it over, not so happy. :-°

I have been hyping Jamal all over the place, and I really think that his situation is the most ideal he has had since turning pro. The only concern is his ankle, but we should have that figured out by the end of the preseason (hope you draft late).

All of the other prospects just have too many concerns for me to take with the 4th pick. Jamal actually seems to be the "safest" but with huge upside this year.

I have thought about trading down, but the possibilities at the 4th position in the 2nd and 3rd rounds are actually appealling. Based on other drafts posted by other guys, I could be looking at (10 teamer):

Jamal
Julius Jones
Chad Johnson

That's not a bad start as far as I'm concerned.
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:49 pm

Well, I would have taken Edge...but since you took Manning, I'm glad you didn't because that gave me Edge at 5. ;-D

I wouldn't take Manning in the first round because I don't think he'll do anything near last year's numbers. At best I rank him 6th.

Deuce isn't bad, but NO is a risky team because they always seem to blow it.

Willis...people are scared about that offense also with the rookie QB.

That leaves Edge. You know he should get plenty of yards each week even if he doesn't score. TD's are essentially flukes anyway unless you are Holmes or LT. Indy's offense is awesome, and I would rather have a RB who is a vital part of an awesome offense than one for a team that might bust.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:59 pm

I would've taken Deuce personally, happy to get him at 7 though ;-D

Manning is a good choice if you think he's going to put up 40TD's again. If he does your sitting pretty good. I personally think he'll be right around 30-35 TD again which doesn't warrant him being drafted that high.

Jamal is risky with all the questions surrounding him. I have him as my #6RB. He could be in for a huge year though.

Edge is probably the safest bet but Deuce barely edges him out for the #4 spot for me. I suppose I'm sold on NO realizing that if you give Deuce the ball you will win more football games. Once they do that Deuce just needs to stay away from injuries and he should be fine. Just my opinion, it's defenitely not the draft position I'd be hoping for come draft day.
Mustangs989
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flux » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:31 pm

I have McAllister as my #4 RB. Its just very scary to draft him that high, only having 1 year of double digits TDs and friggin Aaron Brooks at QB.

I really dont believe that Manning will match his TD production this year. But what else was there to do? Draft a guy who potentially be the #8-10 RB in the league? Thats what I was looking at. At least Manning has a pretty decent shot of living up to the #1 QB, where whoever I take at #4 for RB, most likely will fall short. Either way I get a non-stud RB on the way back being so low in the 2nd rd of a 12 teamer.

For those interested the first few rounds of my draft at the #4 spot went like this

Peyton Manning
Brian Westbrook
Tony Gonzalez
Michael Bennett
Steve Smith
Fred Taylor
Roy Williams

We only start 2 RBs and 2 WRs
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby maddog60 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:32 pm

Here's my suggestion for having the #4 overall. Trade down with someone in love with Manning.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby gold_steel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:33 pm

Id hate to be in teh 4th/5th/6th spot. You have to take a shaky RB, especially with those Scoring stats you wont take Manning over an RB in the first, (maybe late). But then you have to wait a while and might only get someone like Tiki Barber on the way back. Its a tough choice. I have a very calculated cheat sheet which consists of 5 very reliable sources. In which i have McGahee at 4/Edge at 5/Deuce at #6. I think you have to take either Mcgahee or Edge off the board at that time, and just hope they live up to the hype.
gold_steel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk