Ok, Seriously, what do you do at #4 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ok, Seriously, what do you do at #4

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:43 pm

maddog60 wrote:Here's my suggestion for having the #4 overall. Trade down with someone in love with Manning.

haha i would have if i could have but it was a yahoo draft. He didnt know our spots until 30 mins before the draft, and at that point, you cant very well trade since youre stuck where youre at
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:46 pm

come on flux! 4?!

this close to revoking an icon or two...

:-D
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:52 pm

awwchrist wrote:come on flux! 4?!

this close to revoking an icon or two...

:-D

lol, I think those "w's" in your name need to be "s's" :-b

Ive never, ever, ever, ever, taken a QB until rd 5 in my entire life, and even then, there had to be good value. But I 1) wanted to see what would happen, 2) there was a lot of talk about rotating average RBs and having success and 3) I knew I would at LEAST be able to get Westbrook in rd 2 who im pretty high on w/ this whole TO thing and a lack of competition from Buckhalter and Moats who are both injured....oh and I had some alcoholic beverages, but that didnt really have anything to do with it. Although having Deuce in 2 money leagues did sway me somewhat.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:17 am

gold_steel wrote:Id hate to be in teh 4th/5th/6th spot. You have to take a shaky RB, especially with those Scoring stats you wont take Manning over an RB in the first, (maybe late). But then you have to wait a while and might only get someone like Tiki Barber on the way back. Its a tough choice. I have a very calculated cheat sheet which consists of 5 very reliable sources. In which i have McGahee at 4/Edge at 5/Deuce at #6. I think you have to take either Mcgahee or Edge off the board at that time, and just hope they live up to the hype.

McGahee is the only person who has to live up to "hype." :-?

Seriously, what do you guys have against Edge? When he plays a full 16 game year, he has always gained over 2000 total yards. That's an average of 125 yards a game. Heck, when he played 13 games two years ago, he still gained 1500 total yards. The biggest question mark is the TD's...but as a wise man once said, "TD's are the flukiest stats in football." I don't put much credence into those things. I will take a guy who gains 120-150 yards a game and throws in a TD here and there every time. If Edge gets any extra goal line love this year, he'll be a menace and well worth that #4 pick. Even if he doesn't, how many other guys will almost guarantee you 12-15 points a game without the benefit of TD's? OK, he has been injured before as well (3 times in 6 years), but a lot of RB's get injured for one or two games.

Another thing to consider - if you buy into the whole "Contract Year" thing (which I think was disproven, but who knows for sure), Edge is going for one next year...possibly as a showcase to another team. :-)

Deuce has only reached 2000 total yards once in four seasons, and he only gets about 10 TD's a season. That's about what James gets as well. Yes, they refocused the offense in NO, but they still have to play against the tough defenses of ATL and CAR two times each this year. Throw in the fact that NO always seems to underachieve, and risk is thrown in. There's isn't much risk with Edge because you know their offense is going to be tough unless something unforseen happens.

I don't think anyone will argue that the middle draft spots (#4 through #9) are probably weaker this year. If you rank your players ahead of time and get the guy you want at your spot, you really can't complain at all. As far as who you should rank there, that depends on what you feel Manning will do this year. If you feel he's in for another 40+ TD year, then you want to rank him 4th. Otherwise, I like a guy like James to be a nice safe pick for anyone to take. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:26 am

I don't think you hurt yourself Flux. The way that your draft went though just confirms for me that I won't be taking Manning any time soon in a draft with knowledgeable folks. Simply put, it makes too much of a mess out of your RB pool, you have to pass on top notch WR talent and are pretty lucky if you can grab Gates/Gonzo(nice pull by the way).

For my money, I'll probably just saddle up Edge or Deuce and ride them out. I don't really think you can go wrong with either. I've got McGahee a bit behind these two but I'm not going to get into the "he needs to be higher/lower" crap.

You at least have a fighting chance with that team Flux.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gold_steel » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:27 am

By James living up to the hype i mean living up to his full potential every year, week in week out. The guy is amazing ill give him that. But theres a reason why hes not always with the top tier RB's. Indi also has to play Baltimore, Jacksonville, NE and Pittsburgh and Arizona during the season, all those top 15 DEF.
gold_steel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby RyanK » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:26 am

I had the 4th in my leauge and got lucky SA dropped to me.. i really had no idea what to do before the draft, i was planning on 1-3 to be lt, priest, sa... but someone took manning

I was planning on taking either duece or edge.. and wouldve been thinking very hard about it, but then again passing tds are 6 points in my leauge...
RyanK
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mudd » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:33 am

I took Edge with the 4th overrall, and that was with someone taking Peyton before me and having Preist available. BUT, we get a pt/rec so that weighed in heavy with my pick.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby PSU All Day » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:28 pm

I am in a league where you get to choose your draft spot and I got to choose 4th. I LABORED over the 4th spot in the draft and finally decided that I would take it and pray that someone took Manning or were afraid to take Priest. I almost took the 8th or 9th spot instead but found my team was just not quite as solid.

My scoring is 6 points for rush TD's and 3 pts for passing td's. There is a length of TD bonus for each and there is 1 point per reception for WR/RB/TE.

I have looked at about 40 Ant sports drafts and I would say that I get Priest almost 65% and SA about 15% of the time in the 4th spot. Less often in the serious drafts.

If SA, LT and Priest are gone I will choose between Edge and Deuce and have generally been taking Deuce.

While TD's are flukes, you can't argue with the fact that Edge was not a factor in the red zone for Indianapolis last year. If you think that will change you have to take him at 4. If you think it will just be more of the same I think you have to pass on him.

If you take a QB (or WR) high in rd 1 you will find that your RB's turn out to be poor. It is a trickle down effect.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:30 pm

Mudd wrote:I took Edge with the 4th overrall, and that was with someone taking Peyton before me and having Preist available. BUT, we get a pt/rec so that weighed in heavy with my pick.

You do realize that Priest in a full year will usually get 60-70 receptions? pt/rec only makes Priest a better early first round pick.

Edge isn't a bad 4th overall pick, but I'd rather have Duece or any of the big three RBs.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk