What's your opinion on Marvin this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's your opinion on Marvin this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Heimholder » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:11 pm

I see Marvin continuing to slide, with Wayne continuing to emerge. A little like Isaac Bruce/Torry Holt if you will. If you look at Harrison's career stats http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1231 he sure looks to be on the downward slide of the bell-curve. Manning will spread the wealth again, but with a likely drop in available "wealth", Marvin's stats will drop yet again.

Upsides are he never gets hurt and never completely busts out. I've got him pegged in the early 3rd at #6 WR. Moss, TO, Holt, CJ, Horn, Marv[/url]
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:17 pm

I have Marvin back in the top2 this year, until TO's issues get resolved later this week.

Moss
Marvin
Holt
CJ
Owens
Horn

Chad Johnson isn't anywhere near as consistent as Marvin as a #1 WR. Holt can be hit or miss. It's not the yardage, it's the TDs. It's not the potential, it's the season after season production. Marvin is one of the few locks at WR to haul in 90+ passes and to score double digit TDs every single season. He's actually closer to 12-15 if you take out his 15 game season in 2003. That kind of production is the trademark of a top pick at any position. He's the Shaun Alexander of WRs...

You don't become a top WR pick because you have a great chance to single-handedly win your league and be the #1 WR at years end. Maybe for a RB who has the potential to put up 2,000/30, but it just doesn't happen like that with a WR. The one thing you want out of a early WR pick is the consistency... You can't draft a flop at WR1 or you are basically screwed for the season. Hines Ward owners can attest to this....

Marvin Harrison is a GUARANTEED top10 WR next year with a good chance at being top5. That's why he's worth a very early pick IMO. He's going to score you 10 TDs no question asked. He has a decent shot to put up 15 TDs again. Probably ends the season in the 12-15 range no matter how good or bad of a season Manning puts up.

Compared to Santana Moss in the 3rd in 2003 and Drew Bennett in the 4th in 2004? I'm not the guy who is gonna take a major risk on a WR #1. Maybe that's why I have Andre Johnson as the 14th WR on my draft board.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby iloveny18 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:35 pm

i totally agree with you that you need consistancy (especially after my santana flop last year) but to play devil's advocate, a reciever's run has to end some time, right?
iloveny18
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:01 pm

Marvin is guaranteed top 7... probably top 5... still worth drafting top 3 (though I did choose CJ over him in a draft this year).

I like Starvin' Marvin, but I still think Indy's money could be better spent elsewhere. Defense, maybe. Wayne may not be able to handle a #1 role in most places, but most places don't have Peyton throwing the ball. Marvin, I hate to say, is a bit overpaid... not that I think he'll see all that money.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk