Pick the Starter!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pick the Starter!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pick the Starter!!!

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:21 pm

Ok, I'm a week away from draft day, and so many questions are still unanswered. RBBC is a FF owner's worst nightmare, and yet there are several of these situations. Who do you see succeeding in the following situations, and when and where should they be drafted in a 10 team league?

Miami- Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams

Chicago- Cedric Benson, Thomas Jones

Carolina- DeShaun Foster, Nick Goings, Stephen Davis

Cleveland- Lee Suggs, Rueben Droughns, William Green

Tennessee- Travis Henry, Chris Brown

San Francisco- Kevan Barlow, Frank Gore

Pick'em!!
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:24 pm

I have a solution. Push your draft back until it becomes more clear.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pick the Starter!!!

Postby gold_steel » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:34 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Ok, I'm a week away from draft day, and so many questions are still unanswered. RBBC is a FF owner's worst nightmare, and yet there are several of these situations. Who do you see succeeding in the following situations, and when and where should they be drafted in a 10 team league?

Pick'em!!

Miami- Ricky then Brown later on

Chicago- Benson

Carolina- Foster

Cleveland- RBBC

Tebbessee- Chris Brown

San Fran- RBBC

Alot of these are just guesses, for I am also asking these same questions.
gold_steel
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:44 pm

MIA - RBBC. I wouldnt want to depend on either, but Id say RW probably has the better yr. As for your draft, Brown will be taken too early - wait for RW.

CHI - TJones early. He will be a pretty valuable fantasy player for at least half the season - long enough for his trade value to increase dramatically from where he is being drafted. Benson will enter into a RBBC sometime by week 5 or so. The longer the season goes on Id expect TJones and Bensons roles to reverse. By the time fantasy playoffs roll around, we may see Benson getting more touches than TJ. Draft TJ. Trade for Benson after week 5 or so.

CAR - Foster will be the feature back. Huge injury risk. Ive herd Davis is done, and Shelton is the likely backup. Id say draft Foster as your #3 Rb if he falls to you for a good price. Otherwise you may want to target Shelton very late.

CLE - Suggs is the starter. I dont expect him or any CLE RB to be very valuable at all though due to the other 2 RBs there and their incredibly difficult schedule.

TEN - your guess is as good as anyone elses.

SF - Barlow is the starter. He will be much better than he was last yr. Solid value pick - good #3 RB otpion.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Vick 4 Mayor » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:03 pm

MIA- Ronnie Brown will get almost all of the carries

CHI- There will be plenty of carries to go around until Benson takes over the job about halfway through the season. they'll probably run the ball 35-40 times a game.

CAR- Foster, there is no competition here

CLE- Expect the starter to rotate week to week like it did last season

TEN- Will split carries with Henry getting goalline carries. Once brown goes down he'll be the featured back

SF- Barlow. Gore won't have a shot until late in the year when the 49ers are like 1-10
Vick 4 Mayor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby clmor » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:23 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Ok, I'm a week away from draft day, and so many questions are still unanswered. RBBC is a FF owner's worst nightmare, and yet there are several of these situations. Who do you see succeeding in the following situations, and when and where should they be drafted in a 10 team league?

Pick'em!!

What are the lineup requirements/options? The only reason I ask is, there should be some RB depth since it's a 10 teamer and I don't see a lot of these guys even making it to the point that I would draft them. As I read that, I'm not even sure that will come across clearly :)

Basically, Henry/Brown, Benson and Ronnie Brown will almost all be drafted before I would look at taking them. Unless you start 4 RB's or something crazy -- they just don't present value.

As far as your list (this is based on redraft league):

MIA -- Brown -- will be taken Round 5 or before -- I wouldn't take him unless he made some insane drop to Round 7 or later. Ricky and the team as a whole just isn't that great -- he won't thrive in that system. If you like him, trade for him after week 4 when the other owner sees how little he has done -- have you seen that schedule?? You may be able to give him a K for him... :)

Ricky -- He goes about Round 7 -- I like him there.

CHI -- TJ -- could be valuable as CM said but, I'm not sure how long and where you would draft him. For some reason, in all my mocks, I don't see him. As of right now, I don't see a problem with him in the 7th or so. With Grossman out, I really forsee a poor team on the field -- unless they let Blake throw it everywhere -- and if that's the case, take Moose in the 7th :)

Benson -- See Brown -- will go far too early for where I would want to take him.

CAR -- I like Foster a lot -- and, he slips to 4th round or later. Great value if you go RB/WR/WR or some other combo that only nets you one RB in the first 3 rounds -- most likely early in the draft which is quite possible if you have a top 3 pick. Getting Foster there and backing up with Shelton is pretty easy to do -- Goings and Davis are undraftable.

CLE -- Bad situation if you have to rely on any of these guys for more than a FLEX which I seriously doubt anyone would be in -- barring injuries. Suggs will always be around late -- don't think I've seen him go higher than the 7th round. I may take a flier for depth on him in Round 8 or later depending on whats around. Droughns is at least 10th round or later -- no picking Green for me.

TEN -- See situation in CLE and multiply by 10 :) Brown -- more talent/more brittle. Henry -- less talent/more durable/better goal line. I have no idea what will happen here. Probably best to stay away from both these guys. Brown still goes in the 3rd or so -- no way I touch him there. Henry I've seen in the 6th. Personally, I would take Henry RD 7 or later.

SAN FRAN -- My FAVORITE conversation. I can't tell you how many times people throw out "Barlow????" when I take him in the 6th or 7th round EVERY mock draft. Every draft right now I have Barlow as a target. At WORST, you are generally getting this guy as a RB 3 -- I see ZERO problem with that. If you told me right now Barlow will duplicate last years numbers only -- no improvement -- I would still draft him here and still be happy with him as my RB 3/FLEX.

In the end, based on all the ADP's of these guys, the only players I see as draftworthy (barring some change after today) in a re-draft league are:

Williams (7th round or later)
TJ (5th round or later)
Foster/Shelton (4th round/10th round or later)
Suggs (8th round or later)
Henry (7th round or later)
Barlow (5th round or later)

Just my opinion -- YMMV
clmor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby daullaz » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:45 pm

Miami: Ronnie Brown will be the starter on Opening Day. Starting week 6, Ricky will steal 8-10 carries a game. Brown should be drafted in the 8th round.

Chicago: Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones will be splitting carries 50/50 beginning Opening Day. Benson will start to get the lion's share of the carries after about a month. Benson should be drafted in the 9th round.

Carolina: DeShaun Foster will be the Opening Day starter. He will be hurt by Week 3. Stephen Davis will be healthy by that point, and will be the starter. Injuries will slow him up and Eric Shelton will be the starter in the second half. Goings showed last year that whomever the Carolina starting RB is, he will have value. I would take Foster in the last couple rounds, but be ready to add Davis and/or Shelton

Cleveland: Lee Suggs will be the Opening Day starter. He'll get about 2/3 of the carries. He'll be benched due to injury/ineffectiveness and Reuben Droughns will take over as the main ball carrier. I would avoid Suggs, but Droughns should be drafted in the 12th or 13th round.

Tennessee: If he makes it till then, Chris Brown will be the Opening Day starter. He'll miss enough time in the first month that Travis Henry will have a chance to showcase his abilities. Brown will find himself on the bench after that. Both should be drafted in the 7th or 8th rounds, but I favor Henry of the two.

San Francisco: Kevan Barlow is the starter. Due to improvements on the 49er O-Line, he will not lose his job. Barlow is a good pick in the 5th round and an excellent pick in the 6th.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lushcrush » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:53 pm

Maybe I can add something different ...

I don't want Ricky this year. Awful situation for Miami RB's right now with the unknown. Brown here but not too early. Ricky is freakin me out.

Cornbread hit it ... Jones for tradebait, Benson the the second half of the season. My question is ... when has Thomas Jones ever had a good year?

I don't want any of them. Foster is as chippy as it gets.

I like Droughns here as a value pick late.

Henry no doubt ... tough runner who has done it before vs. ultra-chippy Brown

Avoid both backs at all costs

:-?
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk