Sin City - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Sin City

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sin City

Postby Ironhorse75 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:48 am

I'm almost never asleep by 3 am in the summer, so I figured I would go pickup my copy and watch it tonight (release date this Tuesday aka Today).

I just love everything about this movie. It's oozing with style, violence, and humor.

For a b&w flick, you wouldn't think it but Sin City makes for an exceptional reference disc for those who have a hi-def set and/or a surround sound setup. The picture is razor sharp and the colors that are present just jump off the screen.

Definitely not an "everyday" person's movie, but if you liked any of the director's (Rodriguez & Tarantino) previous works like Kill Bill, and Desperado, you should be right at home.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Sin City

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:19 am

Ironhorse75 wrote:Definitely not an "everyday" person's movie, but if you liked any of the director's (Rodriguez & Tarantino) previous works like Kill Bill, and Desperado, you should be right at home.

Okay - make up your mind - was it a good fun flick like Desperado or was it garbage disguised as a movie like Kill Bill?
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ironhorse75 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:31 pm

Can I get this moved, I put it in the wrong forum. :~(

Most people, critics and the general audience seemed to really like Kill Bill. But It's easily understood as to why anyone wouldn't like it.

I would say more like Desperado as RR directed that and Sin City, where as Tarantino only appears as a guest director in Sin City.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby STEELtownUSA » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:08 pm

I saw this movie three times in the theatre I loved it so much. I love the black and white with a few colors thrown in and the multiple story lines. It is definetly one of my favorite movies!
STEELtownUSA
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:18 pm

One of the best movies ever made.

The only way someone should go without seeing this movie is if they took a vow never to watch film, ever.

Its easily one of Bruce Willis's best, top 3 or top 5 movies (Die Hard, 5th Element, Last Man Standing being the only three I can put on par with it), and the best part is that he wasn't the best actor in it, Mickey Rourke was.

The only reason I wouldn't pick up this dvd right away is because I've heard that it has virtually no extras, and its expected a "Delux" or "Special Edition" version will be out for say Christmas or so, and I'd rather wait to get that.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ironhorse75 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:32 pm

Yeah, it's a barebone release.

The deluxe edition is going to have 3 versions of the film. Well not 3 films, but RR and Miller shot enough footage to tell each of the 3 stories separately, so we'll be able to watch all 3 separate like the books.

I take it you weren't an Unbreakable fan Mad? I loved that movie too.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Sin City

Postby Flockers » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:36 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
Ironhorse75 wrote:Definitely not an "everyday" person's movie, but if you liked any of the director's (Rodriguez & Tarantino) previous works like Kill Bill, and Desperado, you should be right at home.

Okay - make up your mind - was it a good fun flick like Desperado or was it garbage disguised as a movie like Kill Bill?

Dude - Kill Bill was a great movie. I think you're confusing it with Kill Bill Vol. 2.

As for Sin City... I rented it today along with Boondock Saints and Alexander. I'm up for an action packed evening.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Ironhorse75 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:19 pm

Oof... may be a LONGGGG night with Alexander. I'm a huge Farrell fan, but that movie wasn't to my liking.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby STLFantasyGuy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:38 pm

I loved kill bill vol. 1 + 2 so i think i should love Sin city from how u guys explained it!
STLFantasyGuy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:33 pm

Ironhorse75 wrote:I take it you weren't an Unbreakable fan Mad? I loved that movie too.

Actually, I am guilty of being an Unbreakable fan. Maybe its because I saw that before the Sixth Sense. Most people I know thought it was silly or boring, but I liked how they made him, yes I realize the term should be an oxymoron but, realistic superhero.

I just didn't think it was one of Willis's very best.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk