Make a move or not...my RB's from this weekends draft... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Make a move or not...my RB's from this weekends draft...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Make a move or not...my RB's from this weekends draft...

Postby Clevelander » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:37 pm

GARNER...STEWART...HAMBRICK...MACK...

i had the 8th pick so i took what i felt was best at the time. out of 12 teams, when the 1st 2 rounds were done only 4 teams including myself had taken 2 back so i didnt feel the need to jump gung ho on a 50-50/SBC back as a 3rd or 4th rounder.
i took garner on my 2nd round pick and 7th,8th,9th picks were those other backs. i took starters over SBC's.
other players i have are toomer and harrison, culpepper. 4th i took mcmichael only becuase a spree of TE's were going and i had my eye on mcmichael...i think he'll have a big yr and couldnt wait for the snake to wrap its way around and not get him.

overall my worry is the RB's...garner being somewhat hurt by the reports i read, and the others arent fully studs but again start. i was figuring on garner and starting the other RB that has the best match up for that week.

am i jumping the gun or should i make a move for a bigger RB...? its early to tell so im thinking on waiting a couple weeks to see what there is to show for these guys..ANY THOUGHTS FROM ANYONE ELSE..i would like to hear the opinion of others on this as im sure others have a somewhat near scenario...thanks
Clevelander
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

running bizzles

Postby andy23113 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:05 pm

i would make a move if i were you, rb is just too important to not have 1 stud, at least thats how it seems to me. reports on hambrick say he will split time in dallas also, james stewart probably wont get much production in detroit, mack is with the texans :-/. That is really good depth, it would be perfect if you had just one person stronger.
wa hoo wa
andy23113
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LeftyQB » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:52 pm

Look's like you picked either Harrison or Culpepper...or both early instead of a stud RB...with the 8th pick you should have grabbed Edge, Henry or at least Tiki, Lewis or A. Green...Now you really need to strengthen your RB 's...either by trading Toomer or Culpepper
LeftyQB
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Payne Dailey » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:20 pm

excuse my stupidity but what is a SBC?

starter by commitee?
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mister N » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:46 am

andy23113, james stewart will get production even though he plays for the lions. last year he had something like 1300 total yards and 6 tds. he is an underrated player, although still not worthy of a number 2 back. i would try to trade 1 of your 3 ok RBs and amani toomer for a better back[/list]
'tis the season
mister N
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby awwchrist » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:51 am

4th i took mcmichael only becuase a spree of TE's were going and i had my eye on mcmichael

bad move. you got caught on the end of the TE run and bit. You should have passed and waited.

You need RBs. I'd trade out of Harrison and get a 15-20 rank WR and a decent RB out of him asap.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Clevelander » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:16 pm

i have to disagree with you awwchrist...

for one, ncmichael will have a good year, any TE who has hugew upside and will get you 500+ yards and 5-6 TDs is a decent grab considing the RBs that were there to chose from, and at that point everyone pretty much had 2 except me so i knew i would get those other 3 later as i did...

as for the harrison comment, are you kidding...take 2 of my roster spots for average to potential guys for a stud...at the time i could have had herny but chose to pass only because i feel that 1500+ yards easily and 16+ touchdown is hard to pass, compliment that with toomer and his numbers gives me a strong 1,2 punch at receiving. i am just curious if im safe with my remaining 3 backs and the fact that garner has been getting alot of write up on being possibly hurt. i would do a toomer and another back for an upgrade at RB. i have lelie and kennison as my other 2 recievers but there's always an emergance of receivers as the weeks play on. maybe taking advantage of someone whos only got 2 RBs and not much depth may be the way to bargin.

anyone else have thoughts....thanks for the replies
Clevelander
Water Boy
Water Boy

Alternatives to Trading Harrison

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:49 pm

An alternative strategy would be to try and grab one of the rookie RB's who have a good chance of starting ... O. Smith, C. Buckhalter. I'd also try to dump any so-so players and pick up as many sleeper candidates as possible. If you can stack enough sleeper talent on your bench, at least one of them should pay out.

There are guys like Josh Reed, Ashley Lelie, Tai Streets, Santana Moss, etc. with the potential for big seasons. It shouldn't be difficult to trade for any of these guys, and you won't have to give up your star players. If any of them are still in the FA pool, grab them and save yourself a trade.

The next strategy is to follow all of the games and jump on that waiver wire like a mongoose pouncing on a snake. Last year, I offset draft mistakes by picking up the likes of Bulger, Driver, and Portis off from waivers. There will always be guys who don't get drafted but who suddenly begin to break out. Most people will wait a week or two to see if the player repeats, but I grab him early and sit him on the bench. If he doesn't pan out, I can release him. If he becomes a fantasy scoring machine, he can move into the regular roster.

I agree that I wouldn't be in any hurry to trade Harrison. Only 8 RBs or so outperformed him last year. But always keep your options open. If Portis starts off poorly or splits more carries than expected, someone may offer him to you for a song and a dance. That's a good reason to keep Harrison around; if someone gets foolish once the season opens, you have the trade bait to make the deal.

Good luck. I hope that these strategies help you; they worked for me last year.

DD
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:51 pm

listen guy - I know you dont want to hear what we are telling you, but most of us are very experienced fantasy players, so either take our advice or dont. RBs rule fantasy football. They simply score more points and are more reliable. You chose to ignore that advice when you drafted, and now your in a situation. You have half a dozen people telling you your team wont win your league as is and you need a top RB. You can either trade from strength, your WRs, figure out another way to get one, or decide we are all wrong and go it with what you have.

By the way, I was a McMichael fan last yr when he blew up for the first 6 weeks. He then proceeded to get shut out the remaining 10 games. I gotta believe he is a huge questionmark coming into the season - by no means is he a lock for your team.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Clevelander » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:29 pm

DAMN CORNBREAD, im not against opinions..so lash out at someone else. i respect the opinions of others and never once said anything in an attack towards on theirs. i just said i disagree on moving harrison considering where my pick was at the time and explained my reasons behind taking harrison.

i agree backs are a bigthing but sometimes it doesnt work that way and you have to adjust as i have done thru the years of fantasy and there's many in my league that can vouch for me not drafting a stud Rb in the 1st round and come out winning. its too early to make a rush on any decisions but wanted to hear what others had to say if they drafted similar or maybe had an idea if they themselves have made any trades of likeness.

you need to get off your thrown and not attack as im sure you havent won every yr....and yes again i do understand RBs are gold but you cant always get the draft the way you want it. if it'll make you happy i'll post you my draft so that you can understand this.
Clevelander
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk