Make a move or not...my RB's from this weekends draft... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Make a move or not...my RB's from this weekends draft...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:55 pm

Im sorry if you were offended - I really am.

I dont think I was attacking or lashing, but I guess thats how you saw it. Im just trying to be honest. I am not name calling, putting you down, or trying to rain on your parade. I guess I am cold to people who come on here looking for advice when they ignored the original predraft advice.

I got nothing against taking Harrison in the second as long as you took a RB in the first, and you take the best available RB in the 3rd. Thats a fine draft strategy, and some of the best teams Ive seen used it. However, since you are experienced, you knew better than to pass up that 2nd RB, but you did anyway - now you are in some hot water with your RB situation. You can play the waiver wire game or trade for a solid RB, but as is your team isnt gonna cut it.
Am I being mean by saying that? I hope you dont feel like I am. I will give criticism, and I can take it. If I am wrong about something, I hope someone has enough Kahonas to stand up and tell me. Likewise I hope I dont go looking for that many 2nd opinions because I didnt like his.

How many times have you posted this situation anyway?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sikoskul » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:02 pm

hey clevelander, i think you've misread what cornbread said. it didn't sound like an attack of any kind, so you shouldn't take it as such. common wisdom is that rb's are the lifeblood of ffl's, which is why in "expert draft" all over, rb's are off like hot cakes in the first two rounds. personally, my opinion is that your rb corp is weak. toomer is good enough to be a number one wr, so i agree that you should try and get a stud rb for harrison, and a second or third tier wr.

hey, you asked for our opinions and we gave them, its no big deal dude. opinions are like assholes, everyones got one. chill
sikoskul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Clevelander » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:10 pm

gotta hand it to ya, sikoskul...that was by far the best line ive heard in a long time. LOL...thats going in the books, thanks...

no prob. on the issues. harrison went with my 1st pick/8th over henry,james, and other misc. i wrapped around with taking garner 2nd. culpeeper 3rd since most teams racked their 2 RBs so i didnt waste my picks on the mediocre and took what was best. and still got 3 starters with 7,8,and 9 rounders. i think il make a mention of harrison but more towards the pitch of a toomer/garner kinda swap.
Clevelander
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tjhksig » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:08 am

I personally think that Henry or Edge would have been much better picks at 8 than Marvin, and even if you took Marvin, a guy like Green or Lewis should have been there to take in round 2, but you chose Garner who is a 3rd rounder. Then on the way back you should have nabbed a Garner/Willie Green/George.
That, IMO, would have you much better off.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:45 am

clevelander wrote:i have to disagree with you awwchrist...

for one, ncmichael will have a good year, any TE who has hugew upside and will get you 500+ yards and 5-6 TDs is a decent grab considing the RBs that were there to chose from, and at that point everyone pretty much had 2 except me so i knew i would get those other 3 later as i did...

as for the harrison comment, are you kidding...take 2 of my roster spots for average to potential guys for a stud...

well lemme tell you a lil story.

This was about an owner..much like yourself...who felt that passing on a WR stud for a less than desireable 2nd tier RB was not the way to go. So he drafted Harrison with his first pick. Funny thing though as the rounds ticked off and the draft progressed, he found himself taking The bigger name WR talents because other owners continued to take RBs. At the end of the draft he had arguably the greatest WR core ever assembled (Harrison, Owens and Boston starting) while putting meager fill-ins at the RB position.

What did this all equate to?

Most fantasy points in the league. .500 record. It was feast or famine. And it was something I'll never do again.

Coincidentally, I've seen this a thousand times over from other owners. This isn't opinion..this is fact. You need RBs to win FF.

You don't have em.

Go get em.

at the time i could have had herny but chose to pass

Bad move as well.

Lets face facts. you're comparing Apples to Oranges when you put Harrison's numbers to any RB that was left (Henry for instance) to draft. you judge your potential position to position, ie. value based drafting.

Also, what is the guarentee that Harrison has the same year he did last year? He absolutely ANNIHILATED the rest of the league in catches and yardage, but it's not likely he'll do it again with the rising phoenix of the Indy 2 TE set and a 2nd year from recovery Edgerrin James. He just won't have the opportunities like he did last year. The turnover for top 10 WRs is high..and there's always a handful of WRs that rise to the top and make themselves branded with the FF Elite status.

You'll learn this year how painful a mistake you made.

This is of course my opinion.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Guru » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:14 am

awwchrist wrote:well lemme tell you a lil story.

This was about an owner..much like yourself...who felt that passing on a WR stud for a less than desireable 2nd tier RB was not the way to go. So he drafted Harrison with his first pick. Funny thing though as the rounds ticked off and the draft progressed, he found himself taking The bigger name WR talents because other owners continued to take RBs. At the end of the draft he had arguably the greatest WR core ever assembled (Harrison, Owens and Boston starting) while putting meager fill-ins at the RB position.

Most fantasy points in the league. .500 record. It was feast or famine. And it was something I'll never do again.

Coincidentally, I've seen this a thousand times over from other owners. This isn't opinion..this is fact. You need RBs to win FF.

You don't have em.

Go get em.

Last year a guy in my league had Owens, Moss, Ward as his 3 WR's. His #1 RB was Garrison Hearst. His team was the second highest scoring team by the end of the year in the league. He didn't make the playoffs and had an under .500 record.

Just another example that shows the importance to take RB's B4 WR's.
"Let's hug it out"
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby yoda83 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:45 am

cleve, you'll be fine. it just depends on your scoring. if your backs get pts for receptions, then you're definitely cool right now. b/c assuming he's healthy, garner is a starting (or damn near) RB. and i believe stewart will have a nice season as a #2.

however, i do suggest you follow draft's advice on free agents, if at all possible. last year, i took WRs w/ my first 3 picks and then i drafted "upside" picks (w.green, portis, etc) w/ the mindset of holding on till something broke out. and since you dont have that "stud" RB, this would be a strategy that could really round out your squad, assuming you have the room on your bench to do it.

but at the end of the day (week, season), FF is about POINTS. granted, im not familiar w/ your scoring or weekly lineup requirements, but you have good pts coming from harrison,toomer,culpepper (in the 3rd?!), probably garner and possibly stewart. yeah, having that RB you can hang your hat on is nice and makes you feel all fuzzy inside when you're going over your weekly matchups, but points is points. and you got a good amount of them coming this year.

also, i like the mcmichael pick. he's the TE im targeting this year, unless some craziness ensues.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:02 am

yoda83 wrote:but at the end of the day (week, season), FF is about POINTS.

Apparantly, it is not about points Yoda. It is about wins and losses.

Exhibit A:
Last year a guy in my league had Owens, Moss, Ward as his 3 WR's. His #1 RB was Garrison Hearst. His team was the second highest scoring team by the end of the year in the league. He didn't make the playoffs and had an under .500 record.

Exhibit B:
At the end of the draft he had arguably the greatest WR core ever assembled (Harrison, Owens and Boston starting) while putting meager fill-ins at the RB position.

Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby carrbomb » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:30 am

Well I was actually thinking about doing the WR thing but after reading all of that I sure as heck won't do it now. But I would have taken Henry over Harrison. Harrison give you 1600 yds at best but Henry has the chance to give you 2000 with the combined receiving and rushing. No to mention more TD's also.
carrbomb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Josh Weed » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:50 am

i agree with everyone else here, taking harrison with the 12-5 pick is one thing, but 8 is really high. James and Henry both should be really nasty this year. Harrison could have been around at your second pick too and you could h ave been sitting edge-harrison or something like that rather than garner harrison,and then you are looking better. But to each their own, you picked who you thought was best. maybe harrison will catch 150 balls, 20 tds and 2000 yards, but I would have taken a RB, good luck to you.
Josh Weed
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk