High upside late round WRs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

High upside late round WRs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:20 am

Most of the recent camp reports that I've read about the Vikings say that MRob is losing ground on the #2 spot and Taylor is ascending mainly because those mental lapses keep hauntin MRob and he drops balls in practice. Taylor on the other hand has done nothing but catch near everything thrown at him. Maybe the change of venue worked. Also may be that Kyle Boller is a lumpier turd at QB than anyone may have guessed.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PACKman1144 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:15 am

MadScott wrote:Most of the recent camp reports that I've read about the Vikings say that MRob is losing ground on the #2 spot and Taylor is ascending mainly because those mental lapses keep hauntin MRob and he drops balls in practice. Taylor on the other hand has done nothing but catch near everything thrown at him. Maybe the change of venue worked. Also may be that Kyle Boller is a lumpier turd at QB than anyone may have guessed.

I wish he would actually catch balls when he was here :-o .

By the way Boller is very lumpy turd, very lumpy.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby JGarrison » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:11 am

Here are the guys in my 14 team league that are on my watch list, that are still avail in my league.

B. Lloyd
B. Jones
K. Curtis
T. Taylor
G. Lewis
T. Calico
R. Brown
E. Parker
JGarrison
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:24 pm

Now that the Cafe drafts are all done for me, here's another diddy: Joey Galloway. Remember him? He was expected to be the #1 in TB last year prior to getting hurt and being slowed all year by that hammy. Towards the end of the season, he got healthier and seemed to develop good rapport with Griese. I think as he starts the year healthy and with Clayton opposite him, he could well be poised for a very nice year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Interstorm » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:27 pm

actually, i am high on galloway. first he has to stay healthy (which alone is a problem). but if you look at gruden's offense, his #1 WR always performs. i believe that if he wasn't hurt last year, most of the numbers clayton put up would have been his. should be interesting to see if he can do that this year or if he missed his chance. also, of course, he must stay healthy...
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby yourbreak2000 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 pm

if youve watched carolina, keary colbert may be listed as the #2 behind steve smith, but in delhommes mind, he has replaced muhammad as the go to guy. he has been open on seemingly every play, and has been thrown to much more often than smith. he will be a STEAL this year.
yourbreak2000
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby PACKman1144 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:32 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:
PACKman1144 wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:Someone already mentioned him, but i strongly second Matt Jones as a greast last round pick. (because he is rarely taken in drafts) Ive had no problem picking him up really late and im quite happy with it.

we'll find out how happy you are wiith that pick when the season starts. He hasn't had to catch the ball in at least 4 years. There's better players to snag IMO

with your last pick? id be looking for a sleeper, thats what this guys is.

scratch what I said. With that catch he had tonight he has all my respect. He is a good late round flier to take. Or you can wait and WW him when you see him really start to pick it up. ;-D
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:19 am

Beat me to it. Yeah, Matt Jones is officially on my favorite late round flyers list after that incredible grab tonight. Not just the fact that it was a deep route, but how he caught it, one-handed, while having his knees taken out by a defender before he had control, that's a focused, absolutely stunning play that I would never have expected him to be able to make this early in his WR career.

This Jones gentlemen, he could literally break the WR position being as big as a TE, but able to burn CBs, jump higher than them, out muscle them. I know its only potential, but his upside a WR that would best be described as a hybrid between Randy Moss and Hines Ward. 8-o
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:14 am

maddog60 wrote:Beat me to it. Yeah, Matt Jones is officially on my favorite late round flyers list after that incredible grab tonight. Not just the fact that it was a deep route, but how he caught it, one-handed, while having his knees taken out by a defender before he had control, that's a focused, absolutely stunning play that I would never have expected him to be able to make this early in his WR career.

This Jones gentlemen, he could literally break the WR position being as big as a TE, but able to burn CBs, jump higher than them, out muscle them. I know its only potential, but his upside a WR that would best be described as a hybrid between Randy Moss and Hines Ward. 8-o

Not only that, but it was Jones who played with the first unit while Reggie Williams only got significant time in the 3rd qtr. That to me says more about this situation than anything else. Lefty had no problems looking to Jones. Very very interesting. As of yesterday, I thought Jones wasnt a fantasy factor - but last night certainly made me rethink that. Apparantly Jones will be the #2 WR in that offense fairly quickly if he hasent already leapfrogged Reggie Williams. With JAX going to the air more, I can definitely see Jones making a lot of waves this yr. By the way - Lefty looked stunning - now thats a frickin arm - damn.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:23 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Beat me to it. Yeah, Matt Jones is officially on my favorite late round flyers list after that incredible grab tonight. Not just the fact that it was a deep route, but how he caught it, one-handed, while having his knees taken out by a defender before he had control, that's a focused, absolutely stunning play that I would never have expected him to be able to make this early in his WR career.

Not only that, but it was Jones who played with the first unit while Reggie Williams only got significant time in the 3rd qtr. That to me says more about this situation than anything else. Lefty had no problems looking to Jones. Very very interesting. As of yesterday, I thought Jones wasnt a fantasy factor - but last night certainly made me rethink that. Apparantly Jones will be the #2 WR in that offense fairly quickly if he hasent already leapfrogged Reggie Williams. With JAX going to the air more, I can definitely see Jones making a lot of waves this yr. By the way - Lefty looked stunning - now thats a frickin arm - damn.

i didnt see the whole game, but did see the play where Lefty overthrew Jones and he still almost made the catch in the end zone. he's got some sick skills.

also, the announcers were constantly lambasting Reggie for running the routes wrong. he might have some talent, but i'm not sure he "gets it"

i dont think either is worth a flyer as anything more than a #5 WR, but i'd take Jones over Reggie at this point
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk