High upside late round WRs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

High upside late round WRs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Santana » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:55 pm

Charles Rogers is a semi-late round guy I like. For really late, I think Galloway is a decent pick, and even though no one took him in my 14 team league, I think Jurvicious could catch a lot of TD's in Seattle.
Santana
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:45 am

wow .. 8-o

With this many late round flier guys, why even draft the position early?

A.Bryant
Charles Rogers
Travis Taylor
Brandon Llyod
Tyronne Calico
Matt Jones
Caldwell
Dennis Northcutt
Marcus Robinson
Randel El
Eric Parker
Braylon Edwards
Arnaz Battle
Jimmy Smith
Reggie Williams
Kevin Curtis
Joey Galloway

anybody care to ranke these guys?
wrveres
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:35 am

This is the way I see if assuming all players stay healthy. Some players are ranked low not due to skill but what I'm assuming is playing time. Otherwise it's because of their offensive climate.

Jimmy Smith
Tyrone Calico
Charles Rogers
Travis Taylor
Antonio Bryant
Joey Galloway
Matt Jones
Brandon Llyod
Antwaan Randel El
Kevin Curtis
Reche Caldwell
Dennis Northcutt
Eric Parker
Marcus Robinson
Braylon Edwards
Arnaz Battle
Reggie Williams
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby getoffmywalrus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:18 pm

I know, I'm regretting taking Holt so early, I should've just stockpiled RB's early then taken my WR's off this list
getoffmywalrus
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:42 pm

How did Jimmy Smith even get on this list, he is heads and shoulders a better WR pick than any of these guys and simply does not belong in a discussion of late round WRs with upside. So the list:

Jimmy Smith

Eric Parker
Charles Rogers
Matt Jones
Travis Taylor

Tyronne Calico
A.Bryant
Brandon Llyod
Randel El
Marcus Robinson
Kevin Curtis
Braylon Edwards

Joey Galloway
Caldwell
Arnaz Battle
Dennis Northcutt
Reggie Williams

I spaced them into semi-tiers I guess you could say, but this is the order of priority I'd put on each player given the information up to this date.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:56 pm

maddog60 wrote:How did Jimmy Smith even get on this list, he is heads and shoulders a better WR pick than any of these guys and simply does not belong in a discussion of late round WRs with upside. So the list:

Jimmy Smith

Eric Parker
Charles Rogers
Matt Jones
Travis Taylor

Tyronne Calico
A.Bryant
Brandon Llyod
Randel El
Marcus Robinson
Kevin Curtis
Braylon Edwards

Joey Galloway
Caldwell
Arnaz Battle
Dennis Northcutt
Reggie Williams

I spaced them into semi-tiers I guess you could say, but this is the order of priority I'd put on each player given the information up to this date.

I'm very interested in getting this list into a realistic rank so I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, just trying to understand. Please feel free to do my list as well (especially since it was pretty late when I did it).

so...

1. Why so high on rookie Matt Jones? I know he made that great catch but I think he's stuck in the #3 spot at best. I would certainly rank #1s and #2s higher simply because they're going to get more play time and looks.

2. Why so low on Joey Galloway? He's a number 1 and will likely have Ds focusing more on the running attack now with Caddy there (unless he proves to be a limited threat behind that O-line).

I'm questioning my placement of Eric Parker right now as I have him too low. I think he should be in the top 6 of this list at the very least. Maybe higher...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby maddog60 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:35 pm

biju wrote:I'm very interested in getting this list into a realistic rank so I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, just trying to understand. Please feel free to do my list as well (especially since it was pretty late when I did it).

so...

1. Why so high on rookie Matt Jones? I know he made that great catch but I think he's stuck in the #3 spot at best. I would certainly rank #1s and #2s higher simply because they're going to get more play time and looks.

2. Why so low on Joey Galloway? He's a number 1 and will likely have Ds focusing more on the running attack now with Caddy there (unless he proves to be a limited threat behind that O-line).

I'm questioning my placement of Eric Parker right now as I have him too low. I think he should be in the top 6 of this list at the very least. Maybe higher...

1. If you watched the Jags game, Matt Jones is not the #3 WR, he's already supplanted Reggie Williams as the #2. If he wasn't the #2 I clearly wouldn't rank him so highly (hence my ranking of Reggie Williams). I originally wasn't very high on him, but I liked what I saw in that catch, not for it being about 50 yards, but because while running at fullspeed, he had the ball in one hand, got his knees taken out, and still had the focus to bring in the completion. With the mismatch he can create, and Leftwich's ability to make the deep throw, I see him as being one of the best boom or bust bye week fillers this year.

2. Galloway isn't the #1, Clayton is. I've never really liked the production out of Galloway, and given his veteran status, I don't see much room for developement. I think his heavily-defensive division, uncertainty in Griese to keep up his performance from last year, and losses to the O-line really make me wonder about that offense, enough so that I'll pass on Galloway.

I really like Eric Parker as a breakout WR. I'm confident that if healthy, he will be the clear-cut #1 WR in SD by year's end, and what I've seen is that SD is still going to him often when they need to pass.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby biju » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:40 pm

maddog60 wrote:
biju wrote:I'm very interested in getting this list into a realistic rank so I don't want to sound like I'm picking on you, just trying to understand. Please feel free to do my list as well (especially since it was pretty late when I did it).

so...

1. If you watched the Jags game, Matt Jones is not the #3 WR, he's already supplanted Reggie Williams as the #2. If he wasn't the #2 I clearly wouldn't rank him so highly (hence my ranking of Reggie Williams). I originally wasn't very high on him, but I liked what I saw in that catch, not for it being about 50 yards, but because while running at fullspeed, he had the ball in one hand, got his knees taken out, and still had the focus to bring in the completion. With the mismatch he can create, and Leftwich's ability to make the deep throw, I see him as being one of the best boom or bust bye week fillers this year.

2. Galloway isn't the #1, Clayton is. I've never really liked the production out of Galloway, and given his veteran status, I don't see much room for developement. I think his heavily-defensive division, uncertainty in Griese to keep up his performance from last year, and losses to the O-line really make me wonder about that offense, enough so that I'll pass on Galloway.

I really like Eric Parker as a breakout WR. I'm confident that if healthy, he will be the clear-cut #1 WR in SD by year's end, and what I've seen is that SD is still going to him often when they need to pass.

Apparently my source for depth charts is behind. Is this simply from watching the games, or do you have a website with up-to-date information? I'm using http://www.fanball.com for their charts and I've always thought of them as being very reliable, but in this case not so much.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby maddog60 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:59 pm

biju wrote:Apparently my source for depth charts is behind. Is this simply from watching the games, or do you have a website with up-to-date information? I'm using http://www.fanball.com for their charts and I've always thought of them as being very reliable, but in this case not so much.

Matt Jones was from watching the game. He played with the first team, and came off with them. Reggie got most of his work with backups.

Galloway, is pretty much an assumption. Michael Clayton proved last year he was by far the biggest playmaker on that team last year. I gaurantee no matter who is listed at #1 WR, Gruden will call more plays for Clayton, Griese will lookn his way more, and other teams will throw their best CBs at him.

Even the most reliable news sources tend to have bad depth charts sadly. I mean, Yahoo still have Matt Jones behind Troy Edwards, who got cut. They also still have Greg Lewis at #4, Pinkston is apparently #2 while on IR. So I've really come to rely on watching pre-season and seeing when guys get the amjority of their playing time to determine where they stand. If I can't see the games, I go to nfl.com and look at the full play-by-play to see whether he gots his stats against backups, and when he was playing, etc.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby biju » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:12 pm

maddog60 wrote:
biju wrote:Apparently my source for depth charts is behind. Is this simply from watching the games, or do you have a website with up-to-date information? I'm using http://www.fanball.com for their charts and I've always thought of them as being very reliable, but in this case not so much.

Matt Jones was from watching the game. He played with the first team, and came off with them. Reggie got most of his work with backups.

Galloway, is pretty much an assumption. Michael Clayton proved last year he was by far the biggest playmaker on that team last year. I gaurantee no matter who is listed at #1 WR, Gruden will call more plays for Clayton, Griese will lookn his way more, and other teams will throw their best CBs at him.

Even the most reliable news sources tend to have bad depth charts sadly. I mean, Yahoo still have Matt Jones behind Troy Edwards, who got cut. They also still have Greg Lewis at #4, Pinkston is apparently #2 while on IR. So I've really come to rely on watching pre-season and seeing when guys get the amjority of their playing time to determine where they stand. If I can't see the games, I go to nfl.com and look at the full play-by-play to see whether he gots his stats against backups, and when he was playing, etc.

I agree that in talent and for Ds to concentrate their efforts that Clayton is a better option than Galloway, however there's a big difference between being the best WR out there and being considered the #1 WR. The plays are designed so the QB starts in one place and does his checkdowns with the #2 WR getting the second look (if the QB has time or has to dump to the RB in the flat). This is why knowing the depth charts is so much more important because of the looks the receivers are going to get.

If Clayton isn't the #1 he certainly should be, but my opinion doesn't mean much if he's not actually getting the first looks.

Damn the slow media!!! :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk