Homerism - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Homerism

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:55 pm

You forget a couple of other types. One is the Transplanted Homer. This is the guy that lives in a state for awhile, but has to pick up and move to another due to work or some other anavoidable circumstance. He then adopts the local team as his own. Another, which I believe is my own type, is the Inherited Gene Homer, or the Brainwashed Homer. These are kids who are either forced to watch a certain team beacause that is who your Dad watches. I grew up a Bear fan, there was never any doubt what team I would root for if ever given a chance to decide on my own.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:48 pm

I was raised to love the Jets, so I guess I've just been bred to do so. My family has had 4 season Jets tickets since before I (21) or my brother (26) were even born, so we loved going to watch games, and consequently, would root for:

a) the team dad was rooting for

b) the team we saw every single time we were there, and everyone else appeared to be rooting for.

I don't think I'm a homer, surely not a bandwagon fan, but I was certainly raised and trained to love the Jets, so that's what I do. If it was an out of town team, it'd probably have been a similar deal. Just so happens, they're the team in my backyard. ;-D
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:49 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:You forget a couple of other types. One is the Transplanted Homer. This is the guy that lives in a state for awhile, but has to pick up and move to another due to work or some other anavoidable circumstance. He then adopts the local team as his own.

I actually figured that one out last night at the bottom of this post: :-D

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... 364#957364

Another, which I believe is my own type, is the Inherited Gene Homer, or the Brainwashed Homer. These are kids who are either forced to watch a certain team beacause that is who your Dad watches. I grew up a Bear fan, there was never any doubt what team I would root for if ever given a chance to decide on my own.

These ones will be taken under advisement. :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:17 am

Categorize it any way you want, but I've been a Browns fan since I was eight. Dad's team became mine, but not because I was forced. (My brother and sister are Bengals fans.) In that time I've endured:

1.) Red Right 88 :-P
2.) The Drive :~(
3.) The Fumble :-#
4.) Art (Benedict Arnold *&%$##$%&*!!!!!!) Modell Moving Them to Baltimore. :-P :-# :~(

and a list of minor (and not so minor) psychological traumas too numerous to list here. (Kellen Winslow II did WHAT?!?!)

And God help me, I STILL Love 'em.

GO BROWNS! ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Pete123444 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:56 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:Categorize it any way you want, but I've been a Browns fan since I was eight. Dad's team became mine, but not because I was forced. (My brother and sister are Bengals fans.) In that time I've endured:

4.) Art (Benedict Arnold *&%$##$%&*!!!!!!) Modell Moving Them to Baltimore. :-P :-# :~(

and a list of minor (and not so minor) psychological traumas too numerous to list here. (Kellen Winslow II did WHAT?!?!)

GO BROWNS! ;-D
:~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

Man, I am so very , very sorry!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kilroy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:00 am

Pete123444 wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:Categorize it any way you want, but I've been a Browns fan since I was eight. Dad's team became mine, but not because I was forced. (My brother and sister are Bengals fans.) In that time I've endured:

GO BROWNS! ;-D
:~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

Man, I am so very , very sorry!

Great, sympathy from a Steelers Fan.

I feel sooooooooooooooooo much better. ;-)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:29 am

SeaWolf wrote:I can only speek for myself. But I grew up with my dad rooting for certain teams, so that's who I rooted for. They all happen to be local teams, but it also helped that my dad had season tickets for the Seahawks. ;-D

This pretty much sums it up for me. I was the stereotypical young son. I wanted to be like daddy, watched everything daddy watched, wanted to do everything daddy did. This is where I got my favorite teams from. Not many differ actually.

Favorite Teams (Dad/Me)

NFL (Bears/Bears) Both Die Hard
MLB (White Sox/White Sox) Both Die Hard
NBA (Bulls/Bulls) Neither of care very much
NHL (Blackhawks/Blackhawks) Neither of us care very much
NCAA FB (Notre Dame/Notre Dame) Both Die Hard
NCAA BB (ND/ND and Illinois) He could really care less, I'm die hard
Golf (Fred Couples/Fred Couples) Die hard, but we realize he's past his prime
NASCAR (Dale Jr./Jimmie Johnson) I'm more die hard than him
IRL (Sam Hornisch/Helio Castroneves) I'm more die hard than him
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ABC » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:30 pm

For me, I've lived in Silicon Valley for most of my life and have never rooted for the 9ers. I don't know why. I can't stand the team, but have no problems with the Raiders.

Anyways, I'm a Rams fan. Go figure?? And have rooted for them since they were in LA.

Many painfull times during the 80's when the 9er's were kickin' our butts, but it's pay back time now!! ha ha ha!!

I also do not like the Giants, nor the Warriors. Go Dodgers and Lakers. I guess, I'm a So-Cal person by heart eventhough I live in NorCal!! ha ha ha!!

As for where it pertains to fantasy football, if it's between two players ranked similar, then I'll most likely to with the Rams player as the tiebreaker. BUT ... I would never purposely chose a Rams player or rank then higher just because they are a Rams player over a better fantasy player.

You guys are lucky when it comes to your Dad and sports. My dad is into tennis and skiiing and has very little interest or clue about football, baseball, or basketball. Of course the skiing part was cool because he's taken' me all over the wolrd and U.S to ski as a fathe son get away!! ha ha ha ha!!
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby ljthockey » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:35 pm

Same with some other guys I started liking the Chiefs because of my father liked them when I was little. Now I cant even have a second favourite teams its the chiefs and no one else. But I guess there the closest thing to here (Nebraska) I go out and see them 2-3 times a year.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to General Talk