SAN DIEGO - The smoldering coals of a tailgate barbecue ignited a fire that destroyed six vehicles in the parking lot at Qualcomm Stadium during a Chargers exhibition game, authorities said. The blaze also damaged four other nearby vehicles.
Shortly after kickoff of the exhibition game Sunday between the Chargers and the St. Louis Rams, the hot coals of a barbecue left in front of a Ford Mustang ignited cars that had been parked together.
A column of black smoke rose into the air, and the smell of burning tires wafted over the grandstands. Some cars were left sitting on their rims. Shattered glass lined rows between the burned vehicles. Fenders were melted away.
Police Sgt. Ray Mattuck said there was no doubt the fire had been started by a barbecue.
By halftime, arson investigators were searching through the ashes. The investigators were expected to determine if charges would be filed, firefighters said.
Nice. That'll be one expensive tailgate party.