Matchup Meltdown Rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Matchup Meltdown

Matchup Meltdown Rules

Moderator: Football Matchup Meltdown Mods

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:10 am

menyak wrote:
joshyboy72 wrote:so far this seems like the same thing as last year...I guess the computer will start to screw us over soon?

If you still have more than six picks left you will notice nothing - but that doesn't mean the Webmaster isn't watching you.

Im new here, what is this referring to?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby menyak » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:59 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
menyak wrote:
joshyboy72 wrote:so far this seems like the same thing as last year...I guess the computer will start to screw us over soon?

If you still have more than six picks left you will notice nothing - but that doesn't mean the Webmaster isn't watching you.

It's a typo - should read "WebHamster".
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:09 pm

menyak wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:
menyak wrote:

It's a typo - should read "WebHamster".

Actually I was referring to the "I guess the computer will start to screw us over soon?"
And the "If you still have more than six picks left you will notice nothing"
Is this a joke or what?

What is this referring to?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:45 pm

I think as the season goes on, the computer will recognize the teams you pick most and start to limit your choices
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:25 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:I think as the season goes on, the computer will recognize the teams you pick most and start to limit your choices

OK right, I just didn't catch what they were referring to.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby spodog » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:15 am

In the first weeks of the season, you're able to choose any games you like. But do think twice before betting on those easy favorites - as the competition progresses and the number of picks available to you starts melting away, so does the number of games you may pick! Which games you can choose depends entirely on the picks you made in previous rounds, as the WebHamster (the Cafe's diligent, robotic rodent pet) will learn from your picks and try to give you a hard time by locking away those matchups that seem to be no-brainers to you. If a team you've constantly picked as a winner meets a team you've consistently picked as a loser, chances are that the game's HI (Hamster Intelligence) module will block it. So it's up to you to preserve your options and make well-balanced choices over the course of the season. Picking a good team to lose against a very good team, or a bad team to win against a very bad team (instead of going for the very best team against the very worst), will ensure that you can still pick (or pick against) these teams when you need it most.

Regardless which matchups you chose in previous rounds, the WebHamster should always offer you at least twice as many matchups as you have picks available (or three matchups total, whichever number is greater).

A week in which every participant chooses the same team or teams would be meaningless. Therefore, if you are the last person to submit a pick in a given week and all previous picks are identical, you must choose a different team as your winner.

Uh, can this be any more complicated or vague?!?

What is the WebHamster Intelligence Module?

when the rules say "don't pick good teams against bad teams", this seems pretty subjective.

Was this change really necessary from last year?

:-o
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:53 pm

How many weeks do we have to go for an icon? Also, will it still be the life preserver one?
teddy ballgame
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:40 pm

spodog wrote:
In the first weeks of the season, you're able to choose any games you like. But do think twice before betting on those easy favorites - as the competition progresses and the number of picks available to you starts melting away, so does the number of games you may pick! Which games you can choose depends entirely on the picks you made in previous rounds, as the WebHamster (the Cafe's diligent, robotic rodent pet) will learn from your picks and try to give you a hard time by locking away those matchups that seem to be no-brainers to you. If a team you've constantly picked as a winner meets a team you've consistently picked as a loser, chances are that the game's HI (Hamster Intelligence) module will block it. So it's up to you to preserve your options and make well-balanced choices over the course of the season. Picking a good team to lose against a very good team, or a bad team to win against a very bad team (instead of going for the very best team against the very worst), will ensure that you can still pick (or pick against) these teams when you need it most.

Regardless which matchups you chose in previous rounds, the WebHamster should always offer you at least twice as many matchups as you have picks available (or three matchups total, whichever number is greater).

A week in which every participant chooses the same team or teams would be meaningless. Therefore, if you are the last person to submit a pick in a given week and all previous picks are identical, you must choose a different team as your winner.

Uh, can this be any more complicated or vague?!?

What is the WebHamster Intelligence Module?

when the rules say "don't pick good teams against bad teams", this seems pretty subjective.

Was this change really necessary from last year?

:-o

The WebHamster Intelligence is simply to make the game tougher. For example, I've got 5 picks left and it blocked me from being able to take Indy this week (blocked Indy and quite a few large favorites out last week for me as well). If you're taking the same teams, picking against certain teams, or taking the heavy favorites each week, the program will adapt and block out some of those "gimme" games to make the game harder on you (and harder for everyone else too).

Yes, the change was needed. Last year was just way too easy as tons and tons of people survived all the way until the end. If the game isn't a challenge, what's the point in playing? ;-)

TB, you have to survive 10 weeks (not make it to week 10 - survive past week 10 - in other words, you have to have at least one pick left for week 11.) to get the icon, and at this moment it's still the life preserver. Then again, Menyak's always got things up his sleeve, so that could change, and time will tell. ;-)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:44 pm

I'd just like to say that this game is way better this year than last. Locking out the gimmie matchups based off past selections was a great change for this game. I have a feeling getting through week 10 is going to be MUCH tougher than it was last year. And I couldn't even do it last year! :-b

This is easily my favorite game here. Liked it last year but it was too easy when you can ride Indy with 1 pick week after week after week...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:10 pm

This game is killing me!!!! :,-(

Here's my biggest beef - I don't understand how some people are able to pick SD vs. SF, and I had to pick between CAR vs. BAL, DET vs. BUF, SEA vs. STL, and NYJ vs. MIA. :-[
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Matchup Meltdown