Matchup Meltdown Rules - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Matchup Meltdown

Matchup Meltdown Rules

Moderator: Football Matchup Meltdown Mods

Postby pawnking » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:08 pm

We're about to enter week three and it looks like I'll have 3 picks plus a bye. This is not necessarily a good thing, because now we can only use a team once the rest of the way, and that's gonna make those two extra picks a liability. Suppose I use my bye week 9 and then do not make a pick week 10. Will I lose one or two of my three picks for week 10? Does this mean that I will not lose any teams through week 10? Suppose I just make no picks for the next three weeks. Will I then have one team left starting week 11? Can I choose no teams for week 9 but NOT take my bye? That is, can I sacrifice one of my picks to get me through a week?

Thanks!
"I always try to play beautiful games" - Gary Kasparov
pawnking
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:39 pm

pawnking wrote:We're about to enter week three and it looks like I'll have 3 picks plus a bye. This is not necessarily a good thing, because now we can only use a team once the rest of the way, and that's gonna make those two extra picks a liability. Suppose I use my bye week 9 and then do not make a pick week 10. Will I lose one or two of my three picks for week 10? Does this mean that I will not lose any teams through week 10? Suppose I just make no picks for the next three weeks. Will I then have one team left starting week 11? Can I choose no teams for week 9 but NOT take my bye? That is, can I sacrifice one of my picks to get me through a week?

Thanks!

If you have three picks now, use your bye, and then don't make a pick the next week, you'll have one pick remaining with all teams available. When you take a safety week, you lose half your picks, rounded up. So if you make no picks for the next three weeks ... you'll be out.

And the first week you miss always counts as your bye.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pawnking » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:27 pm

Arlo wrote:If you have three picks now, use your bye, and then don't make a pick the next week, you'll have one pick remaining with all teams available. When you take a safety week, you lose half your picks, rounded up. So if you make no picks for the next three weeks ... you'll be out.

Thanks! I'll have to step carefully over the next few weeks! Assuming, of course, that Pittsburgh wins tonight.
pawnking
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby menyak » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 pm

pawnking wrote:
Arlo wrote:If you have three picks now, use your bye, and then don't make a pick the next week, you'll have one pick remaining with all teams available. When you take a safety week, you lose half your picks, rounded up. So if you make no picks for the next three weeks ... you'll be out.

Thanks! I'll have to step carefully over the next few weeks! Assuming, of course, that Pittsburgh wins tonight.

Doesn't really make much sense to me to drop your picks on purpose. 8-o If you think they're a liability, why not bet your money on Houston or SanFran - I'd be surprised if you'll miss those picks later on. :-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:01 pm

menyak wrote:If you think they're a liability, why not bet your money on Houston or SanFran - I'd be surprised if you'll miss those picks later on. :-D

Hey - San Francisco's on a roll! :-b
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pawnking » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:53 am

menyak wrote:Doesn't really make much sense to me to drop your picks on purpose. 8-o If you think they're a liability, why not bet your money on Houston or SanFran - I'd be surprised if you'll miss those picks later on. :-D

That's exactly the quandry I face now. Last year I had only one pick by this point, and there was only one fellow with three. He used all the good teams up within 2 weeks and washed out soon after. I have to ponder bye week strategy carefully now.
;-D
pawnking
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby menyak » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:44 am

pawnking wrote:
menyak wrote:Doesn't really make much sense to me to drop your picks on purpose. 8-o If you think they're a liability, why not bet your money on Houston or SanFran - I'd be surprised if you'll miss those picks later on. :-D

That's exactly the quandry I face now. Last year I had only one pick by this point, and there was only one fellow with three. He used all the good teams up within 2 weeks and washed out soon after. I have to ponder bye week strategy carefully now.
;-D

Yup, that may have been a tactical mistake. The rules make having several picks left a smaller advantage, but they don't turn them into a disadvantage. Show us that you can do better! ;-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CapitalGoofBall » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:49 pm

Wow, If only I had seen this 11 weeks ago. Now Ill jusyt have to hope I remember next year.
CapitalGoofBall
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:05 pm

CapitalGoofBall wrote:Wow, If only I had seen this 11 weeks ago. Now Ill jusyt have to hope I remember next year.

I think there's a statistical misunderstanding here. If you had 4 picks left in week 10 and get into the playoffs, you may be at a slight disadvantage over someone who already had just 1 pick in week 10 and made it to the playoffs anyway. Fact is though that by throwing all your picks away early on you are diminishing your chances to reach the playoffs at all, because the only guy who held on to his single pick for so long is one out of three dozen who at the same time bit the dust. So holding on to as many picks as possible is imho still the best way to go.

If anyone is really planning that far: we will be adapting the rules to make sure that in any given week, you'll be able to pick either side of at least one matchup. So while you may end up having to pick the winner of Houston vs. SF, you'll not have to decide between Houston beating Indy or SF beating Pittsburgh.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:28 am

What happens if you are a Sweet 16 survivor for a second year - do ya get a second icon???
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

PreviousNext

Return to Matchup Meltdown