Opinions on Reggie Williams? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Opinions on Reggie Williams?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Opinions on Reggie Williams?

Postby Legacy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:51 am

Does anyone think Reggie Williams is worth taking a flier on with a late pick? Jacksonville has a nice playoff schedule, and I though I read somewhere that Jimmy Smith has not played well in preseason. What are the chances that rolling the dice on him would pay off?
Legacy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:04 pm

Reggie Williams is a definite possibility to save from the WW.

Jacksonville dropped Musgrave (OC) in the offseason. Not that Carl Smith is an offensive minded juggernaut, but at this point of the Jags' offense, any change is good.

Combine that with Jimmy Smith's age. I mean, I don't really look to Smith handing over the torch just yet...but it's gotta eventually happen.

With another year under Forest Whitaker's belt at QB..an improved year at that...

things are getting better for them. And it could translate to Reggie.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Depending on how big your league is and the overall depth of, he is probably worth a very, very late flier. Certainly worth eyeballing on the WW. He did work hard in the offseason to get himself in much better shape and also on his rapport with Whitaker( :-b ). The big knock against him last year though is that he simply didn't have separation speed and I'm not sure that has improved. Wilford, the other rookie drafted last year, as well as Jones this season may emerge ahead of Williams when all is said and done so it may be better to just wait and see.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Legacy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:33 pm

Thanks for the informed opinions. I think I'll just watch him for awhile and pick him off the waiver wire if he takes off.
Legacy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:03 pm

i wuldnt draft him.
BaseballFann0008
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:23 pm

BaseballFann0008 wrote:i wuldnt draft him.

Care to key us in as to why?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:52 pm

Put it this way. There are a lot of ifs surrounding him (i read this somewhere and would like to quote them but i don't remember. Fanball?) and if those "ifs" come true he's gonna be great.

my ifs:
Jacksonville truly opens up the offense under Carl Smith
Reggie's dropped weight gets him some extra speed yet he still retains that awesome physical aspect
Leftwich performs well and gets it to his playmakers (smith and reggie) at wr. This seems like the most likely if to come true.
Reggie gets used in the red zone.

Ahhh. linkage
http://www.fanball.com/fb/article.cfm/ID.4344
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:08 pm

Maybe a late, late pick in a large league.

I think he's a guy you keep your eye on the first couple of games then maybe take a chance.
Sp_Da_Man
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tomkatt » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:04 am

MadScott wrote:Depending on how big your league is and the overall depth of, he is probably worth a very, very late flier. Certainly worth eyeballing on the WW. He did work hard in the offseason to get himself in much better shape and also on his rapport with Whitaker( :-b ). The big knock against him last year though is that he simply didn't have separation speed and I'm not sure that has improved. Wilford, the other rookie drafted last year, as well as Jones this season may emerge ahead of Williams when all is said and done so it may be better to just wait and see.

Agreed.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

The Reggie Williams Analysis

Postby Confucian Scholars » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:31 am

I drafted him last year. Thanks for nothing, Reggie. In the NFL draft of 2004 he was taken ahead of Lee Evans (Buffalo) and Michael Clayton (Tampa Bay); both fantasy studs who came on strong at the end of the season.

I was hoping to see some serious improvement in the first 2 exhibition games against Miami and Tampa Bay but this season's Reggie still looks like last year's Reggie so far.

If drafting today I would take Matt Jones over Reggie, but only if veterans like Eddie Kennison and Antonio Bryant are already off the board.
Confucian Scholars
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk