Collins Worth A Damn? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Collins Worth A Damn?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:20 am

awwchrist wrote:I think he's better than Carr. ;-)

lmao - thats just crazy talk.

All I heard was that people were overvaluing Collins and that people were jumping too high for him. I then go into my drafts and succeffully get him in the 6th rd or later. For a QB that many feel will push the top 5, he still has very good value for as late as he can be had in many drafts.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:44 am

top 6? that's a bit much.

last year passing td / int ratio: 21/20.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FFPlayinMoFo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:02 am

He'll easily throw 20+ INTs this year. But he'll have 4500 yards and 30+ TDs to go along with those INTs
FFPlayinMoFo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:33 am

You guys are really looking too much into the INTs from last yr. Last yr was the first time he broke 20 INTs since 1997. Whats changed since he threw 22 TDs to 13 INTs in 2000? The answers are as obvious as the point - everything has changed - except for Collins. Interception ratios have lots to do with the supporting cast and situation. Collins supporting cast just got much much better - therefore it isnt a real big stretch to assume his TD/INT ratio should also increase.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:26 pm

Personally, I had Kerry Collins #3 on my draft list, then dropped him to #4 after the Moss marijuana thing.

Manning
Culpepper
McNabb
Collins

I'd still argue that he's #3 ahead of McNabb - if Randy stays unsuspended over the season.
The Raiders will throw the long ball, often, and Collins is perhaps the best at that in the league.
He has 2 great targets.
The Raiders will often play from behind due to their D.
Huge upside and not a reach at all, IMO, at #4.
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Boomer's Brown Eye » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:52 pm

Moss shouldn't see any suspension. As far as he stays clear, I agree, he's a number 3-4 pick.
[color=orange]“…and if it doesn’t work out, dont worry. The Catholic church is always changing.”
[i]- wedding day advice given to my father by his mother[/i][/color]
Boomer's Brown Eye
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Paladyr » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:33 pm

I managed to get him in the 8th round and honestly, I don't know what to expect, which is why I got brady in the 10th.

ONCE, I used collins as a replacement QB, I think it was last year, and I KNOW it was against a horrible Defense. He threw 3 frickin INTs. Might have been the Houston game, not sure. I swore he would never be on my team again, and here I am :-p.

The real question for me is not how he'll do this year, but should we all start him in the first game??? He's going up against NE, and Kerry is EASILY startled against a tough D.

I think i'm going to sit him week 1 and let brady start for my team.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tuff_gong » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:37 pm

Paladyr wrote:I managed to get him in the 8th round and honestly, I don't know what to expect, which is why I got brady in the 10th.

ONCE, I used collins as a replacement QB, I think it was last year, and I KNOW it was against a horrible Defense. He threw 3 frickin INTs. Might have been the Houston game, not sure. I swore he would never be on my team again, and here I am :-p.

The real question for me is not how he'll do this year, but should we all start him in the first game??? He's going up against NE, and Kerry is EASILY startled against a tough D.

I think i'm going to sit him week 1 and let brady start for my team.

i am in a similiar situation, i am choosing between kerry @ NE and plummer @ MIA
tuff_gong
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:18 pm

New England will be a good litmus(sp?, I'm no chemist) test the first week.

But people are getting way too hung up on the 20INTs. Do you realize Brett Favre throws an average of 17 INTs a year and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I digress.

Here's why Collins is a borderline top 5 guy this year.

1. 4 big speedy receivers in Moss, Porter, Gabriel, and Curry. I'm going as far as to call it the most talented WR corps in the league.

2. He threw 20 TDs and over 3,200 yards in 13 starts w/o Moss.

3. In his first 5 starts he threw 4 TDs to 10INTs. In the next 8 starts he threw 15 TDs to 6 INTs. Then had a bad game against Jax to round out the year. What this tells me is that after he got warmed up to the offense he played alot better.

If he's not a lock for 4k and 30TDs, I'll wear a Ravens jersey all next year. And I like him for more than that.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Ek » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:32 pm

I have him towards the top part of the second tier, but he's a big risk-reward guy. I got him around the sixth round in my league, and my next pick was Jake Delhomme (I also took McNair late in the draft, but it was more opportunistic than strategic)
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk