Collins Worth A Damn? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Collins Worth A Damn?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:10 pm

Azrael wrote:New England will be a good litmus(sp?, I'm no chemist) test the first week.

Good guess Az - spelling is correct ;-D

Azrael wrote:But people are getting way too hung up on the 20INTs. Do you realize Brett Favre throws an average of 17 INTs a year and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I digress.

Here's why Collins is a borderline top 5 guy this year.

1. 4 big speedy receivers in Moss, Porter, Gabriel, and Curry. I'm going as far as to call it the most talented WR corps in the league.

2. He threw 20 TDs and over 3,200 yards in 13 starts w/o Moss.

3. In his first 5 starts he threw 4 TDs to 10INTs. In the next 8 starts he threw 15 TDs to 6 INTs. Then had a bad game against Jax to round out the year. What this tells me is that after he got warmed up to the offense he played alot better.

If he's not a lock for 4k and 30TDs, I'll wear a Ravens jersey all next year. And I like him for more than that.

I have to agree with the statement that his INTs should not be as big a factor as people are making it out to be. If your TDs are worth 6 and your INTs -2 you still get a 3-1 advantage on all the TDs he should throw with that talented corps - not to mention Lamont Jordan is a stud RB with regards to pass-catching ability.

Collins is definitely in the top 7-8 range if Moss stays off the reefer and Porter's hammy improves...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:52 am

lmcjaho wrote:
Azrael wrote:New England will be a good litmus(sp?, I'm no chemist) test the first week.

Good guess Az - spelling is correct ;-D

Azrael wrote:But people are getting way too hung up on the 20INTs. Do you realize Brett Favre throws an average of 17 INTs a year and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I digress.

1. 4 big speedy receivers in Moss, Porter, Gabriel, and Curry. I'm going as far as to call it the most talented WR corps in the league.

3. In his first 5 starts he threw 4 TDs to 10INTs. In the next 8 starts he threw 15 TDs to 6 INTs. Then had a bad game against Jax to round out the year. What this tells me is that after he got warmed up to the offense he played alot better.

If he's not a lock for 4k and 30TDs, I'll wear a Ravens jersey all next year. And I like him for more than that.

I have to agree with the statement that his INTs should not be as big a factor as people are making it out to be. If your TDs are worth 6 and your INTs -2 you still get a 3-1 advantage on all the TDs he should throw with that talented corps - not to mention Lamont Jordan is a stud RB with regards to pass-catching ability.

Collins is definitely in the top 7-8 range if Moss stays off the reefer and Porter's hammy improves...

i think people tend to litsen more when its not being said by a Raiders fan. Great points Azreal. Don't forget to mention Collins is getting ALL the preseason reps NOT RICH GANNON. ;-D

And your comment about the best wr core in the league is true if you modify it a bit. Most talented downfield speedsters in the league.

You screwed with my mock draft AZ. Taking Collins in the 4th last sunday. Why I ooooouuuuughta :-P
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arturo » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:00 am

[quote="UNDEFEATEDDon't forget to mention Collins is getting ALL the preseason reps NOT RICH GANNON. ;-D[/quote]

Gannon retired like three weeks ago. :)

Collins is a good QB, but not a top 4. He's the type of fantasy QB that you want to draft below what his percieved value is. Otherwise you overpay.
Arturo
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Boomer's Brown Eye » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:55 pm

But people are getting way too hung up on the 20INTs. Do you realize Brett Favre throws an average of 17 INTs a year and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I digress.

Hell, even Manning has been known for double digit interception years. Of course, his plus side is much greater than Collins and shouldn't even be compaired. In fact, I'm shutting up. :-o
[color=orange]“…and if it doesn’t work out, dont worry. The Catholic church is always changing.”
[i]- wedding day advice given to my father by his mother[/i][/color]
Boomer's Brown Eye
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Paladyr » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:17 pm

I'm looking through collin's stats last year and he seems to do poorly against any "decent" defense. His only good games came against KC, TEN, SD, NO, DEN(4TDs, 2INTs).

Look at his stats against all of the other oppenents! HOU, IND, DEN, SD (one was a bad game), CAR, ATL, JAX

He had more BAD games than good. This guy is EASILY rattled, and that's why you should sit him the first week, IMO.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:25 pm

[quote="Boomer's Brown Eye]Hell, even Manning has been known for double digit interception years. [/quote]

Yeah, 10 last year for Manning was a career low I believe. But, that said, few top fantasy QBs had fewer 9 or fewer..What was it Brees, McNabb, Penny? Something like that...

Double digit picks doesn't scare me...Plus, neither would having the best WR in the game as his #1 option.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:39 am

He was drafted high third in my 8-teamer... and I think that's lunacy. He simply isn't that good anymore... too many INTs. At best, he's top 12. Don't buy into the Moss-Makes-QBs hype. He may increase Collins' stats, but Top 6? No.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jayday » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:42 am

more than 30 tds....
less than 20 ints....
watch, youll see....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:56 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:He was drafted high third in my 8-teamer... and I think that's lunacy. He simply isn't that good anymore... too many INTs. At best, he's top 12. Don't buy into the Moss-Makes-QBs hype. He may increase Collins' stats, but Top 6? No.

How would you explain the fact that Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Gus Frerotte, and Todd Bouman all set career QB rating records while throwing to Moss?

I do agree with you that high 3rd rd in an 8 team league is silly - thats way way too early.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jzfran » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:14 am

I could be valuable if I was throwing to Moss. That guy can catch ANYTHING! So, yes, Collins has top 5 or 6 value!
jzfran
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk