Gonzo injured - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gonzo injured

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gonzo injured

Postby MCG321 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:24 am

From ESPN:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City's four-time Pro Bowl tight end, injured his left knee during practice Tuesday when he was hit while reaching for a pass.

Gonzalez

Coach Dick Vermeil said early indications were the injury did not threaten Gonzalez's season or career.

"I think it will be short term, but that's a first look," Vermeil said.

Gonzalez was twisting for a pass thrown behind him when he was hit at the same time by linebacker Mike Maslowski during a full-team drill. He said in the locker room after practice the injury was not serious.

"You hate that part of this game and always will, and you hate it more when it's a high-caliber and quality football player and a great person," Vermeil said.

Vermeil said Gonzalez's injury did not appear as serious as an injury he sustained to the same knee two years ago.

"He strained his knee, but there was no swelling and it wasn't loose," Vermeil said.

A Chiefs spokesman said late Tuesday there would be no further updates on Gonzalez's condition until Wednesday.

Losing Gonzalez would be a severe blow to the offense, which led the NFL in total yards last season. The 6-foot-5 Gonzalez needs just 20 receptions to surpass Henry Marshall's team career record of 416.

Vermeil said Gonzalez would not play in Thursday's preseason finale in St. Louis. His availability for the Sept. 7 season opener with San Diego is uncertain.

Practice came to a halt when Gonzalez let out a cry of pain as he hit the ground and did not get up. Offensive coordinator Al Saunders yelled in frustration as he raced to his player's side, trailed by quarterback Trent Green.

Gonzalez was being closely covered by Maslowski when he reached slightly behind him to catch a pass. Maslowski reached in for the deflection and the two players collided. Gonzalez appeared to twist his leg before he went down.

"We think it's not serious," Vermeil said. "Still, it scared us. I've got a slow heartbeat anyway. My pulse rate is about 46, and I think it dropped to 32. "
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:35 am

(explative)
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Aggie_Eric98 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:23 am

Does anyone from around the KC area have any new updates? I heard it wasn't as bad as some made it out to be, but nothing definite.
Aggie_Eric98
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lushcrush » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:06 am

I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:33 pm

I'm keeping Heap as my number 1 TE. I want my TE to be healthy at week 1, and it seems like Shockey and Gonzo won't be 100%. (Unless Heap's been injured and I don't know about it...)
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:00 pm

KCChiefs.com

"We’re very pleased that it wasn’t serious (Tony Gonzalez's twisted knee) and that he feels pretty good this morning. A little bit stiff. The trainers felt very good about how the knee responded over night. So, we’re a lot more optimistic about him possibly being ready for San Diego than we were." When asked if there were any tears, Vermeil replied, "Tiny, the kind you don’t repair and heal on their own."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk