Football leftover trade (wait don't move me) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Football leftover trade (wait don't move me)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Football leftover trade (wait don't move me)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:50 pm

Not sure if this goes here but...........

Trades right after the draft? How many people actually do this? When you draft your team, don't you want to see how it performs first before tweeaking it? Isn't this what we wait all off season to do...draft? Why draft then go out and make trades?

This has bugged me, I do not know of anyone in any of my leagues that pulls off trades before the season.(Kings league is the exception..will explain if needed) Why in the rosters forum do people advise trades? I am looking for a rating. They say package A and B and try and get C. Why is the guy with C going to trade with me to make my team better before the season? If he drafted C with his 2nd or 3rd pick, do you really think he is going to part with him for A and B?

Your thoughts on this.....
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cordscords » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:53 pm

you may have had a sandwhich pick in the middle of the first round. the guys right before you and after you know exactly what they are doing and keep snatching your picks. because of good drafting in those spots, you are left with maybe your #2 or #3 options for those picks. and you might weigh just that 1 guy you are targeting much higher than the guy you picked.

then the trading begins....
cordscords
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:53 pm

Because alot of people aren't satisfied with their drafts. They feel they are still weak in one area, or they made a big mistake. For example, I thought I could get Larry Johnson late in my draft (I took Priest) and I was wrong. So I traded Dunn after the draft for him. Some people also mistakingly take players with the same bye weeks and may look to improve their teams that way.

Some people wait too long and miss out on a good QB or RB, and they stack up on WRs to trade after the draft. It's not that uncommon. Not many teams are perfect after the draft. Every team can be improved.
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
FLEX- D. McFadden, F. Jackson
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

B- T. Romo, J. Kerley, K. Hunter, V. Ballard, D. Thomas, B. Myers, S. Suisham
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:01 pm

hmmm, this seems like a very stu...strange question. But it has been answered very well by the previous 2 posters so I'll leave it alone and just say I agree with them. And I'm usually 9 times outta 10 looking to trade after my draft.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:18 pm

i would say because there are instances where you are drafting for value, and not necessarily for your own team needs. and as for why someone would trade for someone they passed on earlier, i would profer three explanations:

1) they thought this person was a sleeper and even though they were willing to take him with the 40th pick in the draft, decided they could wait until the 70th. and then when you take him with the 63rd, they're willing to trade more than 63rd pick value to correct their mistake.

2) you did a value pick. you didn't really need that 5th running back and really could have used a third wideout, but this player was the highest, by a good margin, on adp. and you couldn't pass it up. so then you start bargaining with people to get a better wideout that you could have drafted in that spot.

3) to better even out your squad. there was a run of qbs ahead of you, and you really don't like having kurt warner as your insurance. so you find someone who just ended up with more than they were looking for.

4) (bonus... i only promised you three): you find an attractive packaging of players for other people's players that you couldn't get just from a straight-up draft. even if people do trade picks, maybe they don't feel comfortable trading the #3 and #22 for the #12 & #13. but once those become real players, and you're talking priest and javon walker for dominick davis and julius jones... now you have something concrete to work with.

all these things are related, somewhat, but i think they are all slightly different rationales for a post-draft trade. hope it makes some sort of sense.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk