Hurricane Katrina - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Hurricane Katrina

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby awwchrist » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:44 am

um...no...it is sorta an unspoken rule.

So thanks for the reminder. ;-D

Seriously though...this really isn't the time to be talking about freaking IRAQ. Nor the thread.

I for one don't appreciate it.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:09 am

awwchrist wrote:um...no...it is sorta an unspoken rule.

Seriously though...this really isn't the time to be talking about freaking IRAQ. Nor the thread.

Agreed. The FFC is one of those rare spots on the internet where people actually get along.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:13 am

Atog wrote:

Agreed. The FFC is one of those rare spots on the internet where people actually get along.

Unless King Titan's around...
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:45 am

Trying to not sound political here because it's never a good scene...:-o

But seriously, what the heck was the government supposed to do? They had ONE DAY to get stuff ready beforehand. No one thought this hurricane was going to be as bad as it was until it turned into a Category 4, and then after that, all hell broke loose. Once it did hit, how could anyone know exactly how bad things would get until it actually happened? Who thought there was going to be people shooting at policemen and troops? People are shooting at rescue helicopters also because they are threatening them to pick them up next.
I know some people probably assumed it would get bad...Sweetness was talking about "martial law," but you just don't know until it happens. The police were probably taking cover because of the storm while it hit...by the time they got to the worst areas, people were already looting and shooting. It's seriously like an effing war zone down there now. How could that really have been prevented?

Now that the place is completely flooded, it's probably hard to even get rescue workers into places, and even if they are, they are getting shot at! Terrible...just terrible. :,-(

I guess some of the poliemen are just not coming to work anymore because of the dangerous nature of the situation. That's not the government's fault either...

I just don't see how the blame can go to anyone but the people causing the looting/shooting/general disorder because of the situation.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:09 am

VHawk15 wrote:
I'm sure this works both ways in just about every middle school or high school. "Anarchists" want to be cool and different, and most of the time at this age, kids support either Kerry (or Democrats in general) or Bush depending on their parents' views.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you went to a more conservative part of the country, I'd imagine there would be lots of stuttering when people are asked why they like Bush.

This is a good point, and you probably could add a lot of adults to the stuttering group as well. I have two teenage kids and I tell them I don't really care what their political beliefs are, as long as they can tell me why they feel that way. Although I tend to be conservative, I'd much rather talk to a thoughtful liberal than a knee-jerk conservative.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:43 pm

Fats Domino is OK!

Rescuers picked up the legendary 77-year-old musician from his home in a flooded section of New Orleans and delivered him to safety, his daughter Karen Domino White reported.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby defianthart » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:50 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:Fats Domino is OK!

Rescuers picked up the legendary 77-year-old musician from his home in a flooded section of New Orleans and delivered him to safety, his daughter Karen Domino White reported.

yeah i saw something in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that said she had identified her dad from a picture of some people being rescued taken by some cameraman. however, his whereabouts are unknown at this point in time, hes off in some shelter somewhere, but hes not dead.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:52 pm

I apologize, but I'm not the only one. Turn on the news, that's what everyone is talking about. I respect the fact that the Cafe discourages intensly heated debate, and I agree, but it's wrong to fault me for connecting this to Iraq, as many important talking heads, liberal and conservative, are doing the exact same thing.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby menyak » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:07 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I just noticed...No politics' isn't a rule here at the FFC like it is at the FBC. :-?

On the baseball side it used to get out of hand, here it mostly doesn't, so as long as it all stays civil, there's no reason to cut it off. We do hope it stays like that, though! ;-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:06 pm

defianthart wrote:
Tiki wrote:All I can say is that this is sicking....People getting sniped shot raped. Terrible....Just terrible :,-( what is wrong with our contry sometimes..... !+)

this is why all of those young "punk" kids running around talking about anarchy are complete morons. and i wouldnt say its our country, its in human nature.

Yeah, everytime I see someone talking about anarchy I can't resist calling them an idiot, and usually telling them to go live in a cave then like a smelly, deranged hermit if they hate having government so much, yet are willing to live on it.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk