QB strategy - 3 headed monster - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

QB strategy - 3 headed monster

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:30 am

great strategy, great research.
do you mind if I steal it?
All of those matchups are cheese - you should be thrilled.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TyceBunn » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:45 am

i would start hass & week 1 against NO..favre does struggle w/minn at times..its not always a cake walk for him...

i would start favre week 4 vs chi..he OWNS them..period
TyceBunn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby hayesb26 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:23 am

i agree with moochman, you should have gotten a sleeper WR instead of holcomb. if u started 2 QB i could understand having 3, but no need to have 2 backups
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:24 am

The Guru wrote:Start:
1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 TE
1 Def
1 K

6 Bench players

So do you still think carrying 3 QB's is too much?

Yup. It's just a preference of mine, with RBs so valuable, I just like to try and grab as many quality RBs as posible. With Hassselbeck as your backup you have no worries at QB.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby pawnking » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:16 am

Although I disagree with your strategy, I like the idea of taking 3 quality QBs somewhat late rather than one stud early. QBs get injured a lot, and have the widest variation between one year and the next in terms of fantasy value of any position. Waiting until late and then drafting a lot of QBs with the hopes that one will prove to be a stud is a good plan.

I don't like the idea of playing the matchup, though. LIke someone posted above, you'll be constantly kicking yourself for not playing a QB who had a great game and starting a dud that week. The only time I'd use that strategy is if you're playing the TB defense. Remember that often when teams get ahead, they run the ball a lot, and going against a poor D won't necessarily translate into fantasy wins.
pawnking

Friendliness: %

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:04 pm

Right now your 3 QBs might seem fairly even, but they'll most likely separate themselves as the season goes on. Not a bad strat to use for the first few games though.

If this was my team, however, Hasselbeck would be my starter until proven unworthy.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Gatekeeper » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:21 pm

Im kind of torn. I love the idea on the surface and think the research and forethough/planning was very impressive. Im kind of worried about teams pounding the ball on the ground though like someone said earlier. This is my second time checking this forum as I wanted to see some other replies before commenting. In response to my concern about too much running though...didnt you say that those were the worst passing D's in the league last year, not overall D's.
The keeper will never let you pass!!!
The Gatekeeper
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Guru » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:09 pm

The Gatekeeper wrote:In response to my concern about too much running though...didnt you say that those were the worst passing D's in the league last year, not overall D's.

Yes, the 6 teams that I previously named were 6 of the worst against the pass last year, they were not some of the worst teams against the run.
Basically, those teams weekness on defense was more against the pass then the run.
"Let's hug it out"
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Johnny Ballgame » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:40 pm

I agree with Mooch - you can never have too many RB's and unless you are carrying a stud QB who happens to be injured but will return by the middle of the year - there are few other reasons to carry three QB's.

moochman wrote:
The Guru wrote:Start:
1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 TE
1 Def
1 K

6 Bench players

So do you still think carrying 3 QB's is too much?

Yup. It's just a preference of mine, with RBs so valuable, I just like to try and grab as many quality RBs as posible. With Hassselbeck as your backup you have no worries at QB.
"You using the whole fist there doc?" - Irwin M. Fletcher
Johnny Ballgame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk