Stop Gas Price Hikes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Stop Gas Price Hikes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stop Gas Price Hikes

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:44 am

I wasnt' going to present this 3rd hand email, but given the current situation.
It's some guy's solution to ending the rise of gas prices. I'll copy the whole email but here is the quick of it.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

(I didn't receive it from this person nor do I know who it is)
To: Frank & Patsy Deaton <fdeaton@negia.net>
Subject: Gas prices
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:41:26 -0400

I really like this idea. The only comment I would add it this..... Do you think the oil companies were making fat cash when the price of gas was $1.50 per gallon? You bet your booty. >From my business experience, price isn't determined by what the product costs to produce, it is determined by what the market will bear..... and currently our market is bearing $2.50+ per gallon. With no action the cost will only go up. For those of you who were with me in Kuwait, have you seen more Mercedes, Porsches, Ferrari's, BMW's, etc any where else? Not even in LA.I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the end of summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.75 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....
not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas
prices if we all act together to force a price war. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp (sic) out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) .. and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people and DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from EXXON and MOBIL. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP
THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

}:-) B-) :-? :-]
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:49 am

Yes, lets all go back to horse and buggies until they lower their prices! Not going to happen. People need their transportation.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:59 am

34=Sweetness wrote:Yes, lets all go back to horse and buggies until they lower their prices! Not going to happen. People need their transportation.

What people do not need, though, are 6000 pound vehicles that get 13 miles per gallon to transport 1 individual all over the suburbs.... If gas prices are really beginning to piss you off, the next time you're driving down the road, count how many SUV's you drive by with 1 or 2 occupants.... Then yell obsenities out the window at each of these drivers who are responsible for the increased demand which has led to the current prices at the pump......

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:07 am

One way to combat the prices would be to use public transportation. Too bad the city governments don't realize this and make it easier to get around on. I take a bus to work to a job that is about 20-25 minutes from my home in a car, but it takes the bus 2-3 HOURS to get me there. That is anywhere from 4-6 hours a day in overtime I am losing due to the lack of sufficient PT. Figure that I have to transfer a ridiculous 3 times into the equation and that comes out to $16.25 per week for me to ride the bus to work. # months ago when I was driving it cost me around $12 a week to drive for gas. I understand prices have risen since then, so the cost would probably be more now, but where exactly is the incentive to give up your vehicle to ride to work? There is none, and that is the reason we are so screwed when we have a crisis like we do now. I will be happy to get back on the road, and therefore helping waste more gasoline, but this isn't my 1st choice to do so, it's my only choice.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:16 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:Yes, lets all go back to horse and buggies until they lower their prices! Not going to happen. People need their transportation.

What people do not need, though, are 6000 pound vehicles that get 13 miles per gallon to transport 1 individual all over the suburbs.... If gas prices are really beginning to piss you off, the next time you're driving down the road, count how many SUV's you drive by with 1 or 2 occupants.... Then yell obsenities out the window at each of these drivers who are responsible for the increased demand which has led to the current prices at the pump......

Bingo! ;-D

I feel exactly the same way...fashion vehicles are half the reason this is going on if you ask me. Why do you really need a Hummer unless you live in the mountains and need it to get through rough terrain?

I have been told that in England/Scotland, almost no one has an SUV...everyone has one of those economy cars because gas is like $5 a gallon. Unfortuantely for us, the land of excess has cause excessive gas prices. :-P
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:31 am

Plindsey88 wrote:

Yes, those are part of the problem, I won't disagree there. Public transportation just isn't as feasible in America like it is in Europe, because America is much more wide open with larger distances. So if you really want to go a medium distance, say 60-70 miles, you are more than likely going to need a car.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:35 am

While I agree with plindsey, I think sweetness missed the point. The article is about changing from exxon or mobile gas stations to one of the little guys, not giving up your transportation. I personally buy gas from a 7-11 which sells shell gas. And it's the cheapest around. If I could by from Sheetz or Ractrack, I would. By the way I drive an Explorer sport, not the big dog, but I've always driven a truck of some sort.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:58 am

Redskins Win wrote:While I agree with plindsey, I think sweetness missed the point. The article is about changing from exxon or mobile gas stations to one of the little guys, not giving up your transportation. I personally buy gas from a 7-11 which sells shell gas. And it's the cheapest around. If I could by from Sheetz or Ractrack, I would. By the way I drive an Explorer sport, not the big dog, but I've always driven a truck of some sort.

Ugh, usually the money you try to save by driving to a slightly cheaper station you just end up using it all up finding one of those smaller stations.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guru13 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:25 am

not that this matters to me, considering im not old enough to drive, but anyways, i kinda see where this guy is coming from, but it's just not possible to get 300 million people to do this, plus right whenever they go down, and everyone buys again...back up they will go, and if everyone in my city went to no mobil/exxon gas stations, we would wait in line for hour to get gas. :-o
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Homeless » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:35 am

Merc, Gas in England is $7.00+ per gallon. its so pricey there they price it by the liter to make it seem less.

As for the email idea, ive seen this before when gas went from 99cents to 1.50. Obviously didnt change anything then :,-( I try whenever I can to use a small gas provider, but theyre hard to find nowadays.

Worse case, use BP, they dont use middle east oil, so if you use them more, your hitting the arabs in the pocket.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Next

Return to General Talk