Putting the RB first strategy to rest, a new strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Putting the RB first strategy to rest, a new strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby benm3218 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:17 pm

I JUST DIED AND WENT TO HELL.

WHEN WILL THIS THREAD DIE?
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:23 pm

BANG!!!! right between the eyes.

its dead :-D
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Paladyr » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:46 pm

Matthias wrote:
Paladyr wrote:All discussion can stop after this post.

The best strategy is... take what the draft gives you. If people are taking all the rbs, it's the third round, and moss/peyton/TO is still out there, take him.

Trying to load up on stud WRs doesn't work in the real fantasy (lol) world. In competitive leagues they won't let those stud players fall too far.

so does that mean that you in for the put up or shut up league then?

All we would need is a mock draft to see how the teams come up. I think it would be pretty clear that one cannot load up on stud WRs, unless everyone else in the league avoids WRs with their two first picks, ignoring the "value" of the receivers on the board still.

If you have a league full of knowledgeable people who understand the value of players, the top tier WRs will be distributed between the teams (not all on 1 team).
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Megalodon » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:51 pm

i took two stud WR's then a QB, then 2 RB's, then TE in round 6... im pretty surprised how this draft is turning out now, check this out (in order):

Moss
Holt
Bulger
Jackson, S
Taylor, F
Heap, T
Brown, Ch.
Lelie, A
Kennison, E.
Arrington, J.
Brooks, A. at round 11...

im glad this thread was started, its pretty interesting how this turned out
The thing about Proactiv is that it moisturizes my situation, and maintains my sexy.

-P. Diddy
Megalodon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 55555 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:58 pm

Had my draft last weekend, and went w/ this strategy w/out knowing about this thread. 12 team league had 3rd pick, Tomlinson and Alexander went 1-2. Here are my 1st 8 picks in order:

1)P. Manning, QB IND
2)T. Owens, WR PHI
3)M. Harrison, WR IND
4)C. Williams, RB TB
5)J.J. Arrington, RB ARI
6)M. Anderson, RB DEN
7)K. Barlow, RB SF
8)L. Johnson, RB KC

I also grabbed:

S. Davis, RB CAR
R. Williams, RB MIA
L. Suggs, RB CLE
W. Parker, RB PIT

My backup QB is A. Brooks, 13th Round
My 3rd WR is S. Moss, WAS

Here was my thinking, didn't want to gamble on Holmes in 1st. Were no RB's left in 2nd and 3rd that had enough value to go there.

I wound up w/ the best QB, the best WR's, and enough quality RB's that I will field a very competitive team week to week.

This stategy works as long as you get a ton of RB's so you can play match-ups.
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby UNDEFEATED » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:36 pm

Megalodon wrote:i took two stud WR's then a QB, then 2 RB's, then TE in round 6... im pretty surprised how this draft is turning out now, check this out (in order):

Moss
Holt
Bulger
Jackson, S
Taylor, F
Heap, T
Brown, Ch.
Lelie, A
Kennison, E.
Arrington, J.

Is this a 10-teamer?

Cuz S-jax in the 4th ain't right. JJ in round 10 is wrong.

what is this a 10-teamer with 2rbs and no flex? only way this can happen.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:13 pm

This is a much better strategy as some have said in 10 team leagues.
Moss/ TO in the First Second Leaves you an outside chance for guys like: Steven Jackson Curtis Martin and brian westbrook. (all guys within ADP standard variances of 3.09) If not then I would draft another WR like Horn Wayne, burleson, AJ, maybe DJax and then Gonzo on the swing. (yes gonzo there really isn't a rb worth taking at 3.09 or 4.02 after those three) RISK here as you might not get Gonzo and would have to take a RB which doesn't suit this strat(caddy)
Hey you've committed and can't back out now. Next round you can choose from guys like Warrick Dunn,Arrington, Taylor, who also have ADPs around 5.09 or later. You should then get two of these and might have to reach on someone like the Mike anderson/bell combo or the Benson/Jones combo or Duce staley/Bettis combo. Risk here as well as Fred Taylor, Dunn (models of consistency and underratedness this year) and arrington may all be gone.

So thats Ideally Moss, TO, Horn/AJ/Burleson/Wayne, Gonzo Fred Taylor and Warrick dunn through 6 rounds. That is an acceptable team. If You got one of Jackson/cmart/westbrook then your 3rd wr would come in rd. 5/6 or you would give up Gonzo.
Far too many chances of getting a really crap team even in a 10 teamer. 12 teamer and this is suicide.

One question for OP. If you have coles only a few spots lower on your list than Horn, why did you go after horn when you could have had coles in the 8th or so.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jwbseven » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:19 am

Fundamentally I agree and share the same strategy EXCEPT you have to keep a close eye on how fast the running backs are going because you will get toasted with two subar, leftover, scrub running backs. I agree that when you are stacked at WR - in other words having a consistent point producing group (Moss, Owens, Holt, Harrison, etc.) opponents cant compete with their "take a chance WRs." But I still have to get the stud RB first unless I'm at the back end of the draft and can swing back around and grab a solid RB.

If you wait to pick up last minute leftover rbs they may have way less carries than you HOPE for and then they wont even compete with inconsistent WRs.

Here's what I did in my 12 team league:

Drafted Fourth

round #1 EDGE
round #2 OWENS
round #3 JAVON WALKER
round #4 C. BROWN
round #5 DJAX

We start two RBS and 3 WR. I, agreeing with your philosophy, wanted to make damn sure my receivers will dominate my opponents' more consistently week in and week at. I at least have one stud RB and grabbed Chris late. Its a bit off a gamble on him but he was the best available for where I wanted to pick my second RB.
To achieve the ultimate reward you must be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice
jwbseven
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Megalodon » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:36 am

UNDEFEATED wrote:
Megalodon wrote:i took two stud WR's then a QB, then 2 RB's, then TE in round 6... im pretty surprised how this draft is turning out now, check this out (in order):

Moss
Holt
Bulger
Jackson, S
Taylor, F
Heap, T
Brown, Ch.
Lelie, A
Kennison, E.
Arrington, J.

Is this a 10-teamer?

Cuz S-jax in the 4th ain't right. JJ in round 10 is wrong.

what is this a 10-teamer with 2rbs and no flex? only way this can happen.

10-teamer, QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, DEF, K

this is a money league too, decided to take a wing on this strategy and i guess i lucked out...

(i had the 3rd pick.. once LT and SA were gone, i decided that i was definately gonna try this out)
The thing about Proactiv is that it moisturizes my situation, and maintains my sexy.

-P. Diddy
Megalodon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:59 am

What is funny is I got to "try" a variant of this strategy in my new league this year because I inherited the last place team in a keeper league and I had nobody worth keeping on the team when I got it. 12 team league, 9 returning teams kept 4, the 3 teams being replaced kept 2 each (with expansion draft before the regular draft to bring us to 4). Since almost all the good RBs were kept and/or too expensive (salary cap league) I made some trades and kept Holt and Horn. First pick overall in the expansion draft I took Jordan and last pick in the expansion I took Foster (damn S Davis was supposed to be dead this year)...

Forget which rounds I took what (also not as relevant since salary plays a huge factor in this one) but I ended up with studs at WR (Holt, Horn, Muhammad) and question marks at RB (Jordan, Foster, Dunn, Foster and Toefield+LJ as starters if injuries hit others) in a league where we start 3WRs and 2RBs+Flex.

I have since used WW to pickup Parker and Chester Taylor (dropped Toefield for him) so my week 1 lineup is:

Bulger
Dunn
Jordan
Parker
Holt
Horn
Muhammad
E Johnson (out but not willing to drop him for 1 week worth of replacement)
Peterson (ATL K)
Arizona D

12 teams - not a bad team but not a great team either...

Had I a choice (ie no keepers to contend with) I would much rather have spent the early picks on RBs that I could depend on week-to-week and played matchups more with WRs instead but you don't always get what you want...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk