Putting the RB first strategy to rest, a new strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Putting the RB first strategy to rest, a new strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:43 pm

Paladyr wrote:All discussion can stop after this post.

The best strategy is... take what the draft gives you. If people are taking all the rbs, it's the third round, and moss/peyton/TO is still out there, take him.

Trying to load up on stud WRs doesn't work in the real fantasy (lol) world. In competitive leagues they won't let those stud players fall too far.


so does that mean that you in for the put up or shut up league then?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pawnking » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:12 pm

I have thoroughly investigated this strategy. There are good and bad points to it. My thoughts:

If you play in a 3WR league, it makes more sense, espicially if it is PPR league.

However, the very RB first mentality has created a scarcity which otherwise wouldn't exist. Think about it like this: if all the stud WRs were gone by the end of the second round, everyone would grab a stud WR in the first round, thinking they can still get a great RB in the second, which would accellerate the trend. Thus, if you don't spend high draft picks, you had better hope you'll be getting a great sleeeper who blossoms, because you cannot get a good starter RB otherwise in the third through end.

Conclusion: grab a RB in the first round, and then go WR WR, or if a great RB falls into your lap in the second, get him instead of a top RB. You can still get good WRs in the third through fifth round, but you cannot get a good RB there.
"I always try to play beautiful games" - Gary Kasparov
pawnking
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 196
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Postby bost0n » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:34 pm

The demand for running backs early is there because there is a very small amount of good running backs that consistantly produce. WRs are more of an up in the air category. There is also the greatest deviation between the #1 RB and the #24 running back (the best and worst starter, presumedly).
RBs also put up a lot of points.
irock
bost0n
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 72
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:44 pm

bost0n wrote:The demand for running backs early is there because there is a very small amount of good running backs that consistantly produce. WRs are more of an up in the air category. There is also the greatest deviation between the #1 RB and the #24 running back (the best and worst starter, presumedly).
RBs also put up a lot of points.


and the sun rises in the east.

none of this is new information, not even within this thread. but for all the jibber-jabber i hear about how completely unsound this strategy is, not one person has volunteered to try a league, drafting against this strategy, preferring to relegate it to the fanciful region of, "only working in weak leagues" or quoting common wisdom as to why it won't work.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2398
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Berge20 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:51 pm

As I said earlier, I think it would be fun to get a mock of 12 Cafers together and have someone give it a whirl from the 9-12 slot.

The problem is, would people draft normally or adjust to sink the strategy?

I'm happy to participate and be non-bias. Nifty little experiment IMO.
Berge20
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 443
Joined: 28 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:08 pm

Berge20 wrote:As I said earlier, I think it would be fun to get a mock of 12 Cafers together and have someone give it a whirl from the 9-12 slot.

The problem is, would people draft normally or adjust to sink the strategy?

I'm happy to participate and be non-bias. Nifty little experiment IMO.


i'm in, let's just make a regular cafe league out of this.
RugbyD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 293
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Alone in the Universe

Postby benm3218 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:05 pm

Matthias wrote:
bost0n wrote:The demand for running backs early is there because there is a very small amount of good running backs that consistantly produce. WRs are more of an up in the air category. There is also the greatest deviation between the #1 RB and the #24 running back (the best and worst starter, presumedly).
RBs also put up a lot of points.


and the sun rises in the east.

none of this is new information, not even within this thread. but for all the jibber-jabber i hear about how completely unsound this strategy is, not one person has volunteered to try a league, drafting against this strategy, preferring to relegate it to the fanciful region of, "only working in weak leagues" or quoting common wisdom as to why it won't work.



thats because those of us that would actually give you some competition consider this argument dumb. we don't have to prove to you that it is rediculous. i could argue with a math challenged person about what 2+2 = him saying 3 and me saying 4. but would i bother going out and buying apples to show him that it is 4? no. what a waste of real brain power.

this thread is exceedingly irritating. notice the real brains in here have quit responding to you.

wait..... what am i saying about myself? d'oh!
Image
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 719
Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Nashville watching Pacman get arrested again...

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:41 pm

I prefer to do a mix of sorts with my draft depending on what's available (being flexible I suppose).

For instance this year I am targeting the following draft for the first 6 rounds selecting 4th in a 10 teamer...Edge/TO/SJax/Burleson/Anderson/Favre
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Postby bost0n » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 pm

drafting the player that will help your team the most first, second, etc probably would be the most beneficial. For instance, I'd be glad to take randy with the 10th or so pick. Just as Id be happy to take Edge or somerthing like that.

Its better to just go with the player taht will help you the most.

Its easier to go by that way then to make it complicated...

erm.
irock
bost0n
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 72
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Megalodon » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:05 pm

im trying this strategy right now...
****************************************
The thing about Proactiv is that it moisturizes my situation, and maintains my sexy.

-P. Diddy
Megalodon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 178
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 17:36 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact