KC RBBC new situation. QA w/Vermeil - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

KC RBBC new situation. QA w/Vermeil

Moderator: Football Moderators

KC RBBC new situation. QA w/Vermeil

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:46 pm

Q&A with Vermeil

How would you ultimately like to use Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know; I really don’t know. I don’t know if there’s a scientific way to do it. I think there’s an impulsive way to do it. You see someone who’s breathing a little hard, who’s carried the ball three times and got whacked pretty good; boom, you send the other guy in.

“But I have never been in a position where I’ve had two running backs with comparable skills. Not many coaches have. I think we’ll learn how to use it best as we go along and may have specific things in each game plan for each guy.

“I’ve never really liked to run running backs by committee. But I’ve never had two guys like this before. It’s not a problem. It’s better to be that way than have only one guy.”

Q: Is there one thing that you see that Larry does better than Priest or that Priest does better than Larry?

VERMEIL: “Well, they both have differences. Larry has more top-end speed. Priest can probably make a little bit more out of nothing. When things break down at the line of scrimmage he can make all those darting cuts, ricochets, and with his smaller body and shorter legs and a shorter center of gravity he can make more things happen in that area. But he’s not as fast once he gets into the open and isn’t as strong in the legs as Larry is. But Priest is very strong in the shoulder pads because he gets his pads down and can use them as battering rams where a taller guy uses the power in his legs. So, they’re two different styles. It’s an unbelievable one-two punch.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/08/29 ... vermeil25/
Cleveland Steamers
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:52 pm

I hope someone else can confirm this, but last night before the preseason game I thought I heard John Clayton say something about a 70-30 split.

Sounds almost like an Ahman/Davenport/Fisher situation to me... :-o
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:05 pm

Just a reminder for those who forgot, during the Chiefs 13-3 season, Priest barely ever played at all in the 4th quarter, sometimes hardly any in the 3rd quarter, depending on how badly the Chiefs were curshing their opponent. And he was still the man in fantasy football, so splitting carries 70-30, doesnt sound like the end of the world to me.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:06 pm

dang it you guys serious??? i have the third pick in an upcoming draft this sure istn sounding good.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:08 pm

maddog60 wrote:Just a reminder for those who forgot, during the Chiefs 13-3 season, Priest barely ever played at all in the 4th quarter, sometimes hardly any in the 3rd quarter, depending on how badly the Chiefs were curshing their opponent. And he was still the man in fantasy football, so splitting carries 70-30, doesnt sound like the end of the world to me.

70% of the Chiefs running stats would still probably be #1 pick worthy (if he stays healthy). Its not like other players really get 100% of the workload
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:09 pm

I was considering trading down my first pick to the third pick, but I dont want to be a part of the KC world anymore. I feel that this pushes Priest into the 2nd Tier. Of course he could be the top fantasy back again, but from a drafting point of view you can not expect that.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:02 pm

I read this at the beginning of the season in one of the mags and now Vermiel confirming it.

I still think Priest warrants a 3-4 pick because last time I remember 70% of close to 30 td's is still over 20 td's. And to be honest it might help him stay healthy for 16 games.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:50 pm

Note to self: While fantasy world wide KC RBBC panic ensues, pick up Priest really really cheaply via trade.

All this means to me, is that getting the LJ handcuff will be harder because his value rises.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mrider » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:25 pm

LJ will be less important in the offence then everyone thinks. He will get the occaisional TD but mostly just yards. And if Priest is losing 30 yards a game but still is getting his old TD success he is still worth a 3rd pick.
mrider
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:21 pm

I've been dropping Priest and bumping up LJ in my cheatsheets in the past couple weeks due to preseason play. Currently I have Priest getting slightly more than a 60% share of the carries and LJ slightly less than 40% share of the carries.

Priest is now my #2 RB behind LT:
290/1250/20, 50/450/0, 290 FP

LJ is now my #22 ranked RB right below Warrick Dunn 8-o
180/900/9, 30/300/0, 174 FP
----

I see a declining KC running game due to Priest losing a step. If LJ were to manage a quick takeover, he would score higher than Priest in the starting role. No other RB can score double digit TDs as easily as the KC RB though, very valuable combo...
Last edited by Kensat30 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk