My solution to the gas crisis..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My solution to the gas crisis.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:00 pm

maddog60 wrote:3) And this is the one that kinda hits home to me. Ok, SUV's are one thing, but a lot of young people, I'm talking your 16-24 crowd, don't have parents to give them nice cars be they SUV's or fuel-efficient, so they have to buy substantially older cars. These older cars, naturally, don't get great gas mileage. So, now these young people would get taxed more under your proposed solution, when they don't have any feasible other option for a car.

Nor the money to pay the extra tax...

Another problem that I see is that esentially, it doens't matter how much we are using, there will still be a huge demand for it, so either way the prices can be as high as they want, because people will still pay as much as they have to to get gas. They can't do anything without it, and whether their car gets 15 mpg or 25, they'll still have to fill up. Yes, theoretically it would lower prices a little due to not quite as high demand, but I don't think it would have a substantial effect on the prices of gas.

At this point I see the only fix being hydrogen or another alternate power source for cars. It's still a few years down the road as the technology isn't all there quite yet, but it's gonna have to happen soon.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:22 pm

If your were to tax people to drive SUVs, all that would do is make the auto companies raise the price of small economy cars. In theory its a good idea to tax the people who own SUVs but the auto companies are just as greedy as the oil companies.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:14 pm

Here's my solution. Stop listening to what all the tree hugging liberals say, bomb the hell out of Iraq, take their oil whether they like it or not, and if OPEC has a problem, we'll nuke their monkey @sses too.

That's the only way gas prices will ever go back down. But as long as all the liberals keep whining about things, it'll never happen.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TTTBone » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:56 pm

bagobonez wrote:Here's my solution. Stop listening to what all the tree hugging liberals say, bomb the hell out of Iraq, take their oil whether they like it or not, and if OPEC has a problem, we'll nuke their monkey @sses too.

That's the only way gas prices will ever go back down. But as long as all the liberals keep whining about things, it'll never happen.

Actually our biggest supplier of oil is Canadia, and we've been holding off on whoopin' their monkey @sses far too long.
In fact about only 20% of our oil imports come from the Middle East.
Canadia, Mexico, and (Pat Robertson's favorite) Venezuela are our amoung our main suppliers.
Let's nuke all their monkey @asses!!!

Nice logic. :-?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:28 pm

bagobonez wrote:Here's my solution. Stop listening to what all the tree hugging liberals say, bomb the hell out of Iraq, take their oil whether they like it or not, and if OPEC has a problem, we'll nuke their monkey @sses too.

Replace liberals with "sane Americans" and you've got it about right.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:26 pm

VHawk15 wrote:

Replace liberals with "sane Americans" and you've got it about right.

My point exactly. America's all the same. You know the only reason the gas prices are so high is because Americans are stupid enough to keep paying the high prices (myself included).

There's an old saying that goes...

If you let someone kick you once, they'll kick you once.
If you let someone kick you twice, they'll kick you twice.
If you let someone kick you 3 times, they'll kick you 3 times.

But if you break off their mother ****ing feet, there won't be anymore kicking going on.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:28 pm

Yes, but in your example of blowing up Iraq, they may not "kick" us back, but the rest of the world would.

Surely you aren't so much of a "Cowboy" that you would welcome a WWIII featuring America vs. the World.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:22 am

maddog60 wrote:Plindsey, not a terribly bad idea, and I like the notion, but there are several complications I foresee:

1) Many vehicles get different mileage per gallon depending on how they're driven (city streets vs. highway). How would that come into effect? Would people who drive in the city more often be paying more for the same gas mileage car than those that only drive said car on highway?

2) What about someone who owns an SUV and a fuel-efficient car? Which cateogry would they fall into? Would it be based on which one they drive more often? How would you enforce such a breakdown? etc

3) And this is the one that kinda hits home to me. Ok, SUV's are one thing, but a lot of young people, I'm talking your 16-24 crowd, don't have parents to give them nice cars be they SUV's or fuel-efficient, so they have to buy substantially older cars. These older cars, naturally, don't get great gas mileage. So, now these young people would get taxed more under your proposed solution, when they don't have any feasible other option for a car.

1) The government would set an "average" standard for each make and model of new car.... That is to say, they would determine an average gas mileage for all '06 Chevy Suburbans, and that would be the figure used to determine taxes for all Suburban owners....

2) As far as owning multiple vehicles, people would pay tax on whatever fuel inefficient cars they own, and they would get a tax deduction for up to one fuel efficient car they own.... So, in the case where someone owns a Suburban and a Prius, they would pay the tax that they owe for the Suburban, and then ALSO get a tax deduction for the Prius.... We would make no attempts to determine which vehicle they drive more often.... HOWEVER, it is possible that we could have an exemption for people that drive their fuel inefficient cars very small distances annually.... Perhaps we could take down the mileage on a person's car when they have an annual inspection, and if they drive less than a certain amount before their next inspection (say 1,200 miles, for example) then they would be exempt from paying taxes on that vehicle....

3) We would enforce taxes only on new cars... So, for example, if the law passed in 2006, then the taxes would take effect on all 2007 models....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:26 am

VHawk15 wrote:Yes, but in your example of blowing up Iraq, they may not "kick" us back, but the rest of the world would.

Surely you aren't so much of a "Cowboy" that you would welcome a WWIII featuring America vs. the World.

NO, not just yet, but at what point do we put our foot down? $5 a gallon? $10 a gallon? Because it's headed that way rapidly, and as long as we keep tolerating it, there's no reason for the money hungry price setters to stop raising the prices. You know, at what point do we literally have to stop driving our cars in order to feed our children? THat, in it's own right, is slavery. We are slaves to those who set the gas prices. I mean, at what point is it no longer a thing of high gas prices, but a thing of taking our freedom away?
Last edited by bagobonez on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:44 am

bagobonez wrote:
VHawk15 wrote:Yes, but in your example of blowing up Iraq, they may not "kick" us back, but the rest of the world would.

NO, not just yet, but at what point do we put our foot down? $5 a gallon? $10 a gallon? Because it's headed that way rapidly, and as long as we keep tolerating it, there's no reason for the money hungry price setters to stop raising the prices.

I'm curious to know who it is you blame for the price of gasoline right now?

If it is our foreign suppliers, then you must place the majority of the blame on the Canadians... Are you really suggesting we nuke Canada?

In reality the two MAJOR reasons for the price of gasoline right now are a drastically increased demand and a shortage of refining capacity.... The raw amounts of oil provided to the United States has not changed....

The increased demand can be blamed predominantly on two factors:

1) the increase in domestic demand caused by more and more drivers driving ridiculously inefficient vehicles longer distances (urban sprawl)...

2) the industrialization of China and India.... As these countries become more and more industrialized they require greater and greater amounts of fuel, and with fully 2.4 billion people (over a third of the world's population) living in those two countries, as their societies modernize and become dependent on oil for energy to heat homes, run factories, power automobiles, provide electricity, etc... you are looking at a situation where the demand for oil explodes....

The other reason for the price hikes is the fact that as demand has steadily increased in the United States, the refining capacity has not.... There is a bottleneck at the refinery level.... We could double our supply of oil tomorrow, and we would see no change in gas prices, because the amount of oil that we can refine and get to market would remain unchanged.... And now, Katrina has shut down an area of the country which is home to refineries which process nearly 20% of the country's oil supply.... When you consider that our refining capacity was woefully insufficient 2 weeks ago, what do you think happens when we can process 20% less oil now than then?

So who is it that you want to bomb?

The Canadians?

The American SUV-driving soccer moms?

The Chinese?

The Indians?

Or the American oil refiners who just had their refineries obliterated by the worst natural disaster in American history?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk