Drafting the same players in multiple leagues, good or bad? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting the same players in multiple leagues, good or bad?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting the same players in multiple leagues, good or bad?

Postby sikoskul » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:16 am

I'm currently in 5 different leagues and have ended up with a handful of players that are the same in all of them. (Probably cuz I used the same cheat sheet) I was wondering what the prevailing wisdom is regarding a situation like this. I mean, is it like stocks, where diversity is the key to success, or does it not matter that all of my "eggs" are in one basket. More of a philosophical question than anything else, I'm sure not going to change my rosters now.
sikoskul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:30 am

Look at the bright side. You won't have a conflict of interests. This is the exact reason why I only play in 1 league. With as much time as I spend reading and thinking about my team, my fiancee would kill me if I played more than 1.

In my opinion, if you had to pay money to join all of your leagues, it's not that bright. That would be like playing the same numbers on 4 different lotto tickets. If, on the other hand, you didn't have to pay money, it might actually end up being more fun this way.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby sikoskul » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:48 am

I understand your point, but I don't quite agree. The lotto analogy is not quite correct in that its not one single game with the same players, but multiple games. If you were to pick the same four numbers in 16 different lotto games, wouldn't you think your odds increase? I think it is very possible to win multiple leagues with multiple different player combinations, it all depends on the draft. Like with anything, a solid foundation is key, and trust me, I won't be like others who will be scrambling around all season to shore up weaknesses. For me, the hard work is done (the draft), now its all maintenance.

Congrats with you and your fiance. I've been married for 10 years and football only gets in the way on Sunday.

btw, I'm only in two money leagues, the rest were "mocks" leading up to the money league drafts.
sikoskul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby josebach » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:52 am

You're right. The lotto analogy probably wasn't the best example. Not only that, but in one league you might score enough to be league champion where in the other, you might not even make the playoffs. It kinda depends on how good the opposing teams are, you know?

If you're only in 2 pay leagues, I wouldn't sweat it. ;-D
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:57 am

I wouldn't change my cheat sheets for the sake of having diversity on my different fantasy teams, but I would keep my fingers crossed that my teams would look different based on my starting draft position/flow of the draft... It would kind of suck if you had 4 teams last year with McNabb on all of them...
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk