Can someone please explain VBD? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Can someone please explain VBD?

Moderator: Football Moderators

the true meaning of VBD

Postby boonjug » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:44 am

VBD is what you get with you sleep with Mike Vick
boonjug
Monday Morning Quarterback


Posts: 4
Joined: 2 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:02 pm

BigMusky wrote:
Wesley Walker wrote:Sounds like a fancy way of saying "take the player who will score the most fantasy points, dumb-ass."


wouldnt it be more like a fancy way of saying "DONT always take the player who will score the most fantasy points, dumb-ass" :-?


yea the point is that the player who scores the most points is not (and most of the time isnt) the best player to draft

i have used this strategy only last year and i immediatley went from fighting for 8th ina 12 team league to going into the playoffs as the 2 seed, and winning the championship

so, in conclusion, i would absolutely use this strategy. it works, and if you are in 2 or more leagues i urge you to at least try it in one league.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:05 pm

When I first read about VBD about 9 years ago, I dominated the one league I was in, and went from the cellar to a consistent top 3 in the other one. It works. But, you have to have good projections, and you MUST stick to your list, no matter that there is a run on 2nd tier RB's going on, when the 2nd tier WR is what wil get you the points you need. Discipline! Learn that word, you'll do fine.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1458
(Past Year: 415)
Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Central PA

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:06 am

Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:When I first read about VBD about 9 years ago, I dominated the one league I was in, and went from the cellar to a consistent top 3 in the other one. It works. But, you have to have good projections, and you MUST stick to your list, no matter that there is a run on 2nd tier RB's going on, when the 2nd tier WR is what wil get you the points you need. Discipline! Learn that word, you'll do fine.



And that's why I'll never ever use VBD. I find that making accurate projections is impossible for me. If you're good at making accurate projections for EVERY player, then VBD will definitely work. Otherwise it's a huge waste of time IMO.
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17169
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New York State Of Mind: 18-1

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:59 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:When I first read about VBD about 9 years ago, I dominated the one league I was in, and went from the cellar to a consistent top 3 in the other one. It works. But, you have to have good projections, and you MUST stick to your list, no matter that there is a run on 2nd tier RB's going on, when the 2nd tier WR is what wil get you the points you need. Discipline! Learn that word, you'll do fine.



And that's why I'll never ever use VBD. I find that making accurate projections is impossible for me. If you're good at making accurate projections for EVERY player, then VBD will definitely work. Otherwise it's a huge waste of time IMO.


I haven't had the tiem to make my own projections much over the past 5 seasons or so, but have used other peoples projections, and still manage to stay competitive. That Cheatsheet Compiler has been an extremely helpful tool.
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1458
(Past Year: 415)
Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Central PA

Re: Can someone please explain VBD?

Postby cowsvils » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Would another way of using VBD be to use deviations from the mean at a given position? Is it essentially the same principle just using slightly different math?
cowsvils
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 161
Joined: 5 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can someone please explain VBD?

Postby nebgib5 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:34 pm

cowsvils wrote:Would another way of using VBD be to use deviations from the mean at a given position? Is it essentially the same principle just using slightly different math?

Yes, that would probably yield a more accurate picture, and something similar to that is frequently done for roto basketball and baseball leagues (see here).
Image
nebgib5
Water Boy
Water Boy

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 78
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Caaaaaaambridge

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 10:51 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact