Antonio Bryant - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Antonio Bryant

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Interstorm » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:53 am

i don't agree - there will be a couple games he could start if you are in a bind. right now he's my 4th WR - but if there are some injuries and my top guys are on a bye week - i probably will start him and not look back. mark my words - this isn't the same cleveland browns as the last 6 years. the end result (this season) will be the same...but they are going to be in many more games this year and they'll be able to score.

for some of their skilled position players, if you are in a keeper league - it's time to load up. cleveland is going to make a major jump from the end of 2004 to the end of 2006. this year is going to be part of that transition...but in 2006, they WILL be a playoff team.
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Interstorm » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:55 am

...oh, and one of my favorite kosar moments was an overtime game against the fins where bernie played virtually the whole game on a broken ankle (it wasn't known that it was broken until after the game - but he was in a lot of pain). i'd say that limited his mobility...but, well, if there was 1 player who made marino look fast - it was bernie. had to love the heart he played with...
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bagobonez » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:49 am

Interstorm wrote:i don't agree - there will be a couple games he could start if you are in a bind. right now he's my 4th WR - but if there are some injuries and my top guys are on a bye week - i probably will start him and not look back. mark my words - this isn't the same cleveland browns as the last 6 years. the end result (this season) will be the same...but they are going to be in many more games this year and they'll be able to score.

for some of their skilled position players, if you are in a keeper league - it's time to load up. cleveland is going to make a major jump from the end of 2004 to the end of 2006. this year is going to be part of that transition...but in 2006, they WILL be a playoff team.

I think that will depend on their QB situation. Kellen Winslow will be returning about the same time Braylon Edwards hits his stride (hopefully) and Antonio Bryant is a diamond in the rough. You're right, Cleveland could become pretty good in the world of fantasy football, but hopefully Charlie Frye can step up and lead them, otherwise all of these great skill position guys won't see their potential.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Interstorm » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:59 pm

charlie has looked REALLY good thus far. for the most part, he's played against the 2nd team defenses...but he has made some passes that are just flat out difficult.

also throw in the fact that cleveland already has over 30$ under their 2006 cap - so they can splurge on some good free agents (o-line/defense) to get them to the next level. also consider that phil savage, one of the premier scouts in the league, is their GM - and i'd think that money would be spend well.
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby sleepers3 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:33 pm

Don't count out Trent Dilfer.The guy is being vastly underrated.
Dominick Davis 1500 yards you watch!!!!
sleepers3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Interstorm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:03 am

i wouldn't count out dilfer at all. while frye has impressed, there really won't be any reason to start him this year until (maybe) week 15 or later. dilfer, barring injury, will start and will put up decent number. not top 10...but he'll make a good backup.
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby wideoutprospector12 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:10 am

HOWEVER, do you really want D. Northcutt on your roster? I agree with the comments made here that Bryant may end up being the #1 guy in CLE and they WILL be trailing in a lot of games. He could end up being a great fill in WR for bye week problems. I grabbed him in final round of my draft.

If it were only that easy.. I had the same logic last year when I chose Brandon Lloyd as my sleeper. He was the number 1 receiver on team that surely trailed all season. He was a bust. Having said that, I actually think Antonio Bryant has more potential but it seems speculative to talk about starting him in ANY game until he shows what he can do in the first game or two.
wideoutprospector12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Interstorm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:38 pm

i don't always buy into that 'trailing so they'll have to throw' mentality. that also makes teams 1 dimensional and also makes them easier to defend.

as for brandon lloyd - i never liked him. bryant does have much more potential and was considered the best WR coming out in his draft class - it was just personality/behavior issues that kept him down. thanks to those, parcells hated him and sent him to my browns. ;-D
Interstorm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Wesley Walker » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:03 pm

If there's a WR who's going undrafted in the majority of leagues, and you go and take him before the final round, then that's NOT good value. Let him sit on the free agent wire and see what happens. There's a gazillion guys who, like Bryant, could go either way this year, up or down. If you miss them in the draft, there's bound to be several more t pick off the wire; several with just as good prospects.

And the bitch of it is: He'll ride your bench even if you do draft him. Then he'll have "a breakout week." You might take a flyer and stick him in your starting roster and, guaranteed, he'll take that opprtunity to enter back into a deep. deep coma.

Murphy's Law. I don't like testing it on guys like Bryant.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Football Talk