Steven Jackson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Steven Jackson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby drmoses » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:34 pm

As much as Martz is a passing fanatic, he has to let Steven run to be successful.

The Faulk factor could be less impactful with a little creativity. Dual RB sets. Faulk playing reciever etc... Get them on the field at the same time.

Jackson I think will be a decent #2 back. 1200-10 type of guy...
Steve Young is Jesus...
drmoses
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 532
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Winnipeg

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:47 pm

It helps a lot too that Faulk is okay with being the backup now - he won't be pestering Martz to put him in - Faulk is handling this with a lot of class - and as the MNF crew said, he's one of those few players who's intelligent enough to realize he's on the downside of his career and accepts that (not like some such as Rice and Emmitt). Jackson should have a very good year. ;-D
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Postby Big Pimpin' » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:21 am

i would think sjax will have about the same type season as westbrook. westy might get more catches but have about the same type overall yardage.
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 338
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: USA

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:29 am

I scooped him up in round 4 10 team league. Marshall has dedicated himself to giving Jackson all the carries he wants. he's not gonna be a 3rd down thief unless jackson wants a breather. I think top 10 this season maybe even considered a sleeper (but not to the wise) 1200 + yds rushing 11 tds 300+ rec yds.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:35 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:The problem is, when it is it not a passing situation with Martz?


Marshall Faulk's skills have been steadily declining the past few years, and before last year he was STILL scoring double digit TDs every single year. They simply couldn't run the ball more because Marshall wasn't as good as he used to be (he's still above average short yardage runner, zero top end speed though). I think the Ram's with a fully healthy, fresh, YOUNG running game is going to surprise a lot of people this year both in their pass/run ratio and overall effectiveness.

Keep in mind that Bulger was on pace to throw for well over 4,500 yards last season and the Ram's were just middle of the pack in scoring. That is a huge discrepency. The run game only scored something like SEVEN TDS..

This offense is about to explode and Holt/Bruce/Bulger/Wilkins AND S.Jackson are all underrated going into the season IMO. I've been steadily upgrading the passing game this entire off-season to the point where I have Bulger neck and neck with McNabb.. and lately I've been realizing the true catalyst of the offense is going to be Steven Jackson. I think this guy is a value pick in the 2nd round of the draft and have him right in the range of guys like Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis at RB12.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby macca » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:40 am

I must be in the minority, but he seems to be in prime position to rush for 1400+ yds. Martz has already said he wants to incorporate a more smash mouth style of football, now that he has Jackson. I see Jackson getting 20-25 touches a game. I could easily see him eclipse 1800 total yards and 12-15 tds. I think he will end up being a first round pick next year. You are correct that Martz loves to pass and Bulger will still have games where he will throw 50 times, but Jackson will get 300+ carries this year if he stays healthy. Faulk will not factor into it. I see him getting around 5 touches a game, as mostly lined up out wide. He is no different than any other back who comes in to give the starter a down or two off.
macca
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 16
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby STLCover2 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:23 pm

macca wrote: Faulk will not factor into it. I see him getting around 5 touches a game, as mostly lined up out wide. He is no different than any other back who comes in to give the starter a down or two off.


I don't think this reflects an accurate understanding of Faulk's place on the Rams or his ability to contribute to this team. If Faulk is around in Rds. 6 or 7 of my draft I'm taking him. The man, for once, didn't have to get offseason surgery and could therefore workout. He's in better shape than he's been in years and looks great on the field. Just this preseason I've seen him leave linebackers with their pants around their ankles in the open field several times.

Faulk will have a solid role in the Rams offense this year and will limit the production of SJ.
STLCover2
Water Boy
Water Boy

User avatar

Posts: 85
Joined: 5 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:26 pm

STLCover2 wrote:
macca wrote: Just this preseason I've seen him leave linebackers with their pants around their ankles in the open field several times.


That's odd I thought he only did that in backs of cars and sleazy hotels. :-]
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:34 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:The problem is, when it is it not a passing situation with Martz?


Marshall Faulk's skills have been steadily declining the past few years, and before last year he was STILL scoring double digit TDs every single year. They simply couldn't run the ball more because Marshall wasn't as good as he used to be (he's still above average short yardage runner, zero top end speed though). I think the Ram's with a fully healthy, fresh, YOUNG running game is going to surprise a lot of people this year both in their pass/run ratio and overall effectiveness.

Keep in mind that Bulger was on pace to throw for well over 4,500 yards last season and the Ram's were just middle of the pack in scoring. That is a huge discrepency. The run game only scored something like SEVEN TDS..

This offense is about to explode and Holt/Bruce/Bulger/Wilkins AND S.Jackson are all underrated going into the season IMO. I've been steadily upgrading the passing game this entire off-season to the point where I have Bulger neck and neck with McNabb.. and lately I've been realizing the true catalyst of the offense is going to be Steven Jackson. I think this guy is a value pick in the 2nd round of the draft and have him right in the range of guys like Tiki Barber and Clinton Portis at RB12.


Of the eleven rushing TDs they posted last year, Bulger scored scored three of them. Jackson had the most at 4 with Faulk tied with Bulger at 3. Definite room for improvement there.

I don't know if not many people were paying attention or what this offseason but SJax slid to my pick in the late 4th rd. of a local I just drafted in. Talk about value, can't go wrong there.
Image
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5924
Joined: 27 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TONYMONTANA » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Perhaps the steal of my draft...Steven Jackson in THE 6TH ROUND! 8 team league. Sad part is he may sit on the bench or just be trade bait.

RB'S: Alexander, Duece, SJax, MAnderson, LJohnson, WParker
TONYMONTANA
Cheerleader
Cheerleader


Posts: 11
Joined: 2 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 21:48 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact