Peerless Price a Cowboy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Peerless Price a Cowboy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Peerless Price a Cowboy?

Postby bagobonez » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:23 am

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys are talking with ex-Falcons WR Peerless Price. “I think he’s a pretty good player,” Cowboys HC Bill Parcells said of Price, who caught a career-high 94 passes for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns while playing with then Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe in 2002. “We’re just trying to turn over every rock.” Price’s agent, Tim McGee, said he planned to speak with Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones for the second straight day Wednesday. “With Drew [Bledsoe]’s relationship with Peerless, that’s something we’d like to explore,” McGee said Tuesday. Second-year WR Patrick Crayton has emerged as the Cowboys’ third receiver during the preseason, with WR Quincy Morgan, WR Terrance Copper and WR Tom Crowder battling for the final spots. Asked what he thought of his receivers without Price, Parcells said, “I feel like our receiving corps will be OK.”
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:35 am

I hope they do sign him. But not for that much. Maybe an incentive based contract.

I think he still has something left in the tank to be a decent #2 reciever. Its tough to fill that #1 role when the defense cheats a bit your way. The year he had moulds to take the doubles he did great.

Who knows I feel its worth a try though as a Cowboy fan.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:59 am

He's got speed and could be a nice option opposite Keyshawn. They are two different types of wideouts. The Cowboys certainly need another threat at the position and he'd be reunited with Bledsoe, who threw to him during his career year.

I definately like the idea of signing him, it only improves the offense.
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
FLEX- D. McFadden, F. Jackson
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

B- T. Romo, J. Kerley, K. Hunter, V. Ballard, D. Thomas, B. Myers, S. Suisham
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:20 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:He's got speed and could be a nice option opposite Keyshawn. They are two different types of wideouts. The Cowboys certainly need another threat at the position and he'd be reunited with Bledsoe, who threw to him during his career year.

I definately like the idea of signing him, it only improves the offense.

Glenn's actually not a bad speed receiver... and I definitely wouldn't be mad with having him (Glenn) as a #3. KJ, Glenn and Price would make an admirable trio.

Nick Eatman of dallascowboys.com wrote:IRVING, Texas - Soon after the Atlanta Falcons cut wide receiver Peerless Price on Tuesday, the Cowboys were one of the many teams linked to having potential interest in signing the seventh-year veteran.

And by Wednesday afternoon, the possibility of the Cowboys signing Price began picking up some steam, owner Jerry Jones and head coach Bill Parcells admitting there is some mutual interest and confirmed there have been talks between the club and Price's agent Tim McGee.

"We're looking into it," said Jones, who also serves as the team's general manager.

But Jones cautioned talks had not progressed very far by early Wednesday evening, and that no visit had yet to be scheduled. Jones indicated the club would need to "visit" with Price before any deal was agreed upon, and that any face-to-face meeting would unlikely occur before Thursday night's final preseason game against Jacksonville at Texas Stadium.

By "looking into it," Jones and the Cowboys must determine much more than how Price might fit into their plans at wide receiver. They also must determine how much it will cost to sign Price, since it's readily apparent the Cowboys aren't the only team interested the receiver who never lived up to expectations after the Falcons signed him to a seven-year, $37 million contract before the 2003 season.

At the time, Price seemed to be worth the $10 million signing bonus he received, having just come off a stellar 2002 season in Buffalo, catching 94 passes for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns.

Let's not forget his quarterback that season was none other than Drew Bledsoe, who had just signed with the Bills and went on to pass for 4,359 yards and 24 touchdowns. Only once in Bledsoe's 12-year career had he passed for more yards in a single season and only three times had he passed for more touchdowns in a single season.

So from that standpoint, it would make sense reuniting the two here with the Cowboys. And evidently, that's why Price immediately called Bledsoe on Tuesday, not long after he was released by the Falcons.

And Price wasn't the only person getting in touch with Bledsoe. Even Parcells said his quarterback was one of several people he spoke with about the wide receiver.

"I've asked several people about him - I have," Parcells said of Price. "I think he's a pretty good player. That's about as much as I can say.

"But just the fact we're talking to him is maybe just to explore and see where he is and what the possibilities are. That doesn't mean we're tying to do anything. Just turn over every rock."

Price, a second-round pick of the Bills in 1999, played four years in Buffalo, improving his stats every season. After Price's big year in 2002, which led to his only Pro Bowl selection, the Bills placed the franchise tag on him. However, instead of signing him to a lucrative deal, Buffalo traded Price to the Falcons for a No. 1 pick that eventually turned into running back Willis McGahee.

But in Atlanta, Price struggled with the role of being the Falcons' go-to receiver. He caught 64 passes for 838 yards in 2003 while playing in former coach Dan Reeves' system, then just 45 balls for 575 yards last year in new head coach Jim Mora Jr.'s version of the West Coast offense. He also battled several injuries.

Price was scheduled to earn $2 million this year and another $5 million next season. By releasing Price, the Falcons saved his $2 million base-salary hit against the salary cap this year, but will be charged $5.7 million next year for his accelerated signing bonus.

By releasing Price, the Falcons also helped the chances of Dallas Desperados wide receiver Will Pettis earning the team's fifth receiver spot. Pettis advanced through the Falcons' cuts to 65.

Now if the Cowboys sign Price, fifth-year veteran Quincy Morgan's spot on the 53-man roster will be in jeopardy. Morgan appears to be no better than the Cowboys' fourth receiver heading into Thursday night's final preseason game. He's positioned behind starters Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson, and it surely appears Patrick Crayton has emerged as the team's third receiver.

With or without Price, Morgan very well could be on the outside looking in because of his inconsistent play this summer, along with an inability to play special teams. Parcells, who admitted Morgan "should be worried" about his chances of making the 53-man roster, said he needs his fourth and fifth receivers to contribute on special teams.

Morgan himself said he's in "a bad situation," and hinted playing for another team might be his best option.

"If I can get a chance to go somewhere else and play and make plays, that will be cool," Morgan said. "I'm in a bad situation right now. It's a situation that I've never been in my life - going from a starter and being the man in Cleveland for a while and coming here and being a nobody."

When asked about Morgan's comments on Wednesday, Parcells said he was unaware of Morgan's feelings. However, while not necessarily lumping Morgan into his example, Parcells did say he's run across several players in the past who would rather run away from competition than dive into it headfirst.

"I don't really have any comment on that, (but) I wouldn't share his exact thought exactly," Parcells said. "All you have to do is play better than the other guy and things go well. If you don't play better than the other players then somebody takes your place. Now a lot of guys, in this day and time with the transient nature of the sport, as soon as the competition gets too good, they want out.

"So I'm not saying that about him. I'm just saying that is the way it is. 'Oh, I can't play here get me out of here.' In the old days, when there wasn't the transient nature (free agency), you had to make your way here if you weren't good enough you weren't good enough."

So Parcells is in the process of deciding if Morgan will remain the fourth receiver on the Cowboys' initial 53-man roster, knowing he's unlikely to help on special teams.

The Cowboys, though, when deciding on a fourth receiver, must factor in any injury concerns they might have with their starters, particularly Terry Glenn, who has only played a full 16-game schedule twice in his nine-year career. Glenn missed the last 10 games in 2004 after needing season-ending surgery to repair torn ligaments in his right foot.

But Parcells was rather vague when asked Wednesday about his overall thoughts on the entire wide receiver position.

"I feel like our receiving corps will be OK," Parcells said. "That's how I feel about them. They're going to be OK."

And just being "OK" is reason enough to at least explore all options. Of course, as long as they're for the right Price.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:37 pm

Reuniting Price with Bledsoe wouldn't be that bad of an idea, provided he doesnt still have that serious eye problem. I'm still not convinced his failure as Atlanta's #1 WR was entirely his fault (the QB still has to give him a chance to catch), so its quite possible he could thrive again as a #2 or #3 WR somewhere.

On the other hand, I've begun to seriously question Parcells when it comes to WRs. Getting Keyshawn was a pretty good move, nice possession WR. Terry Glenn is a perennial under-achiever though, and trading his most explosive WR in Antonia Bryant for Quincy Morgan was horrific I thought. The cowboys needed explosive young playmakers last year to get that offense going (see George vs. JJ) and getting rid of the best potential WR threat on the team was a bad move. I only wish he had done the trade for Todd Pinkston instead :-D
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby catch22 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:51 pm

Come on Cowboy's!!!! As much as I would like to see this, I hope they, at some point, go after some young stud at WR and not these guys that are on there way down.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:19 pm

catch22 wrote:Come on Cowboy's!!!! As much as I would like to see this, I hope they, at some point, go after some young stud at WR and not these guys that are on there way down.

Granted... and we had one in Bryant. But Price, at 29, is not exactly an old fart yet. Still has plenty of good years left.

And I agree with Maddog. Michael Vick has never really done wonders for anyone's career but his own. He's not a real receiver-friendly QB (well, he is to Crumpler, but not to any wideouts). Granted, he finds ways to win, but still... I feel sorry for Jenkins and (Roddy) White: two young, good receivers with plenty of upside, trapped in crappy situations.

Not to mention, Price excelled best at the #2 slot, where he will likely take in Dallas from Terry Glenn. #1 will still be our posession receiver, Keyshawn.

All-in-all, this would be great for Dallas. He adds a decent pair of hands to a mediocre WR corps. His speed stretches the field to open up our rush attack with JJ. And he reunites with Drew Bledsoe. I really hope this goes through...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bagobonez » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm

I'd like to see Price brought in. We all saw what he was capable of when he had Eric Moulds across from him, and a traditional pocket passer (Bledsoe) throwing the ball.

Vick is a nightmare for any WR's stats. Bring Price in, put him across from Keyshawn, and I guarantee you his stats would be much better than they were in Atlanta.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I'm really against Price going to Dallas. Because I'm selfish, and I think he would look good across from Mush. He may not be all that, but it would make the Bears receiving core at least resemble an NFL caliber starting squad.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Football Talk