NFL plans on full-season Saints relocation after devastation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL plans on full-season Saints relocation after devastation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby spodog » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:39 pm

"At this point you have to proceed on the assumption, just as a working assumption, that they may be unable to play in New Orleans at all for the entire season," Tagliabue said.

"If things evolve in a more positive way, then that would be something we could adjust to. But our assumption is that for planning purposes, we should assume that it is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to play at all in New Orleans this year."

Full Story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050901/ts ... 0901191251
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikus » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:20 pm

In the Baton Rouge Advocate today, the paper cites a number of possible locations for the Saints this season:

Baton Rouge, La. (LSU)
Shreveport, La. (Independence Stadium)
Birmingham, Ala.
Jackson, Miss.
San Antonio, Texas
Houston, Texas

The NFL has doubts about all but the LSU scenario. According to the story, the NFL does not want the team to be displaced that far from New Orleans due to season ticket holders.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/090 ... s001.shtml
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Shoyrtt » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:33 pm

Does the relocation affect how you value the team/players in Fantasy Football? I keep hearing San Antonio is the #1 choice (the team is already going to practice there and the owner is from SA). The only other team I can ever remember relocating was San Diego to Arizona during the SoCal fires of 2003.
Shoyrtt Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby mikus » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:48 pm

I think the player's value remains the same. When it's time to play the game, these guys play hard and you forget about everything off the field. I went to the gym yesterday for a couple hours to play basketball, and I did not think about this tragedy for one minute while I was playing. These guys can focus and lock in on the task at hand, and I think the Big Three (Deuce, Joe and Aaron) should not lose any value in terms of fantasy.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby tharris » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:49 pm

mikus wrote:I think the player's value remains the same. When it's time to play the game, these guys play hard and you forget about everything off the field. I went to the gym yesterday for a couple hours to play basketball, and I did not think about this tragedy for one minute while I was playing. These guys can focus and lock in on the task at hand, and I think the Big Three (Deuce, Joe and Aaron) should not lose any value in terms of fantasy.

But is it like a team doing 16 road games? Will the crowd all be NO fans like at the Superdome? I agree though, I'm not dropping any of them down in my rankings.
tharris
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby awwchrist » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:52 pm

mikus, I've seen you active in almost all of the Katrina referenced threads on the board.

Thanks for giving us a perspective closer to the situation.

Hope all is well with you and yours.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:03 pm

just trying to give you guys some insider info.

luckily, my family and our houses have been spared in this disaster. but i know many friends and their families who are not so fortunate.

anyway, any info i get on the saints situation, i will pass it along. they are expected to make a decision about home games tomorrow (friday). we shall see.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk