Sports Illustrated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sports Illustrated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:53 pm

The Bears 9-7? Come on. I know you want to be optimistic about your season but can you realistically expect them to be over .500?

I have them slated for 4 wins and I don't think that is very farfetched. They just aren't that good.
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
FLEX- D. McFadden, F. Jackson
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

B- T. Romo, J. Kerley, K. Hunter, V. Ballard, D. Thomas, B. Myers, S. Suisham
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ek » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:52 am

Ok here's the Bears schedule with my opnion on each game:

At Wahington - could go either way, I know the Redskins get more pub but these are pretty similar teams and the Bears played them close with JONATHAN QUINN at the helm last year. In fact, I'm giving this one a W. I really don't understand the whole Redskins thing.
Detroit - I'm thinking they split with Detroit this year
Cincinnati - I'll give you a loss, but only because I'm trying to be objective
@ Cleveland - Should be a win
Minnesota - Has not won at Soldier Field since 2000. I'm putting a check in the W column.
Baltimore - Since Baltimore is pretty much a better version of the Bears, this is probably a loss.
@ Detroit - Sticking with the split
@ New Orleans - Definitely winnable, especially since this may not be a true road game
San Francisco - W. I hope I don't have to defend this one.
Carolina - L
@ Tampa Bay - Not sure. I'll give it to Tampa since it's on the road.
Green Bay - They've had a hard time with Favre's Packers so I won't put any wins down here, even though they managed a split last season. I'd hesitate to call these games unwinnable though.
@ Pittsburgh - L
Atlanta - Mike Vick is 0-2 against the Bears (including one during a season where they were awful) and I'm pretty sure Urlacher is in his head. I'm going out on a limb and giving them this one, please not that this is the first real upset that I'm throwing out there.
@ GB - see above
@ Minnesotta - The Bears have been almost as bad at the Metro"it seems like we have really loud and passionate fans because we're in a"dome. However, the Vikings will be doing everything possible to miss the playoffs at this point in the season and are capable of losing to teams a lot worse than this year's Bears will be when in this mode. Heck, I'm calling for the sweep.

Ok, totalling that up, I've got them at 7-9, which doesn't make them a playoff team, but puts them well above SI's projections. A couple things to note:

- I'll admit that giving them a win against ATL is questionable.
- Last year arguable their five best defensive players and at least two starting O-Linemen missed at least three games with injury. If this happens again, all bets are off.
- Obviously they won't win all of the games I gave them and will probably take a few that I put down as losses, especially since, with a couple of exceptions (none of which are on the schedule this year), it's tough to tell who the elite teams will be from year to year in the NFL. I could see anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7 being realistic, maybe 5-11 if everything goes wrong and 10-6 if everything works perfectly. Even at 5-11 they'll be better than at least San Fran, Cleveland, and Miami.
- The Bears play a lot of awful defenses this year. Something to keep in mind if you haven't drafted yet (remember that since their players are pretty much all "depth" guys on a fantasy team you probably won't play them when the Bears are playing Baltimore or Pittsburgh. But Cleveland, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Green Bay twice (including championship week)? Yes please.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:09 am

tpetty6320 wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:fair points, and I understand why poeple felt that way. But at the same time, the front office has been pretty damn good when identifying young talent. And of course, the true number two is westbrook anyway.

you do realize EVERYONE was making this very point when they let taylor and vincent go right?

And the eagles have been making the plyoffs forever without good wr's. The defense alone is good enough (second in the nfl in points allowed) to make it.

fair points though, I just think 10-6 is ridiculous, and the reasoning for it is ridiculous.

the eagles took advantage of a bunch of weak teams last year and were lucky that the falcons played their second worst game of the year against them for the NFC (i am sticking to my guns on that one..lol). there is no way they are winning 12 games this year and i put them at about 10 also considering the fact almost everyone will be better this year. Actually i predict either the falcons or panthers winning the NFC, but i am a falcons fan so it doesnt really count. i have already bought tickets for MNF to watch the dirty birds kick the hell out of the gay green birds of philly............

I hope you are just talking smack, as it wasn't "luck" that the Falcons played their worst game of the year. You do realize it was the eagles defense that made them look bad.

I hope you are around when the eagles prove you wrong. How is there no way they win 12? I don't think the falcons got any better, and they probably won't be winning their division anyway.

The only team that got better really in terms of it mattering to the eagles is the vikings. And they lost the one thing that could have really beaten the eagles in moss. the vikings record will be better, but I think they simply can't match up with them at this point, as the culppepr/mopss connectin can bring anyone down on anyday.

BTW, the eAgles took advantage of a bunch of weak teams? you realize that there are only two games that are variable for each team. If the teams were so weak, how come none of the other nfc east teams was able to beneifit?

I think the more realisitc answer (given the eagles track record) is that they made some bad teams look really bad. considering they did better against the pats than the mighty afc did, I'd say they are just good.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 4_Favre » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:50 am

Ok here's the Bears schedule with my opnion on each game:

At Wahington - could go either way, I know the Redskins get more pub but these are pretty similar teams and the Bears played them close with JONATHAN QUINN at the helm last year. In fact, I'm giving this one a W. I really don't understand the whole Redskins thing.

I do not think the bears in their first game with orton as QB in a huge and energized stadium will get the win. I think it will be close but the skins D is so good I can only see the bears with 10 pts, although the skins O sucks I think they will win
4_Favre
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:06 pm

UtopianHopes wrote:
BigMusky wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:The Bears 32 under SF? Gimme a freakin break. Our defense alone will keep us from finishing that low. SI writers must be gay.

Yeah, thats ridiculous. They'll be better than SF, Miami, and Cleveland for sure at least.

I think if Orton can be somewhat a decent QB then the bears will be around 500...and 9-7 with a playoff game is not out of the question. If he sucks it up, or gets hurt and we see anyone else start this year then it will be bad season and they might finish last.

Thinking rationally. I would rank the division as 1. vikings, 2. packers, 3. lions, and 4. bears. Now let say they actually beat the lions and move up to 3rd in the division. That by itself still wouldn't equal playoffs. As the odds are against you in 3 teams from the same division making the playoffs.

If you want to compare bottom teams of each division then yeah bears got a chance to go 5-10 and be better then sf, miami, and cleveland.

In case you didn't notice, the Packers have a horrid defense and the O-line is far weaker. They are going to be far worse than last year. And the Lions have yet to put anything together with their magical offense. The NFC North is rather weak this year. I would say the best record will probably be the Vikings at about 10-6.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby UtopianHopes » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:43 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:In case you didn't notice, the Packers have a horrid defense and the O-line is far weaker. They are going to be far worse than last year. And the Lions have yet to put anything together with their magical offense. The NFC North is rather weak this year. I would say the best record will probably be the Vikings at about 10-6.

Sure, but to say the bears with K. Orton (4th round pick) is the 2nd best team in the division is ludicrous and bears fans are high on optimism. I think the bears could easily get swept by everyone in the division and only beats terrible teams like themselves in 49ers and browns while going 2-14 and could easily make si prediction.

At Wahington - close win for washington. They got portis and a good enough defense to stop the bears.
Detroit - Lions win as they have more playmakers on offense and a decent d to stop a terrible bears offense.
Cincinnati - Bengals got offense and a decent defense. Some people think of them as playoffs contender.
@ Cleveland - Might be the one of there better chances of winning a game, but even the browns been looking good in preseason with Trent Dilfer at qb and the 2 wr's options in bryant and edwards.
Minnesota - Vikings got a improved defense and Culpepper is a great qb.
Baltimore - Ravens win, no need to explain. Bears should just punt on first down.
@ Detroit - Lions sweep. Read above.
@ New Orleans - Winnable?..sure, but the saints got a good offense and a new focus on running the ball. Defense is sorry but unless they decide to play 3 stringers they got a shot at stopping K. Orton.
San Francisco - W. they should win this one as the best they will have as a sure win.. Might be the toilet bowl of the season over the #1 pick in the draft.
Carolina - L
@ Tampa Bay - Tampa bay lost alot of games last season, because of gramatica. This season they should have a running game and a good defense.
Green Bay - Packers out score the bears.
@ Pittsburgh - L
Atlanta - Vick might scruggle but the defense will win the game for the falcons.
@ GB - sweep
@ Minnesotta -sweep
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ek » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:48 pm

I'll paper bag challenge anyone for a whole year that the Bears win at least 2 games in their own division. I think a lot of fantasy players fail to realize that defense and special teams are 2/3rds of a football team, and that the injuries to Brian Urlacher, Adewale Ogunleye, Jerry Azumah, Charles Tillman, and Mike Brown hurt them as much if not more than Grossman being out.

EDIT: I'd also like to comment on the Lion's playmakers on offense. They need a QB just as badly, in fact, the main difference between Orton and Harrington is that Orton hasn't proven anything, whereas Harrington has already proven that he blows and shouldn't be starting in the NFL.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby jayday » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:07 pm

how do the bengals get worse when they return their entire offense and an upgraded defense? idiots i tell ya.....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby FatFoot » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:53 pm

RubeRiot wrote:No offense guys, but I think Dr. Z probably knows more that most of you about predicting football games. Any of you getting paid to write for the nations biggest sports publication?

As oblivious as some fans are about sports, I think you're equally naive about marketing a magazine. They WANT to stir up controversy. It sells more magazines. Plus, if they go out on a limb and end up correct, even more attention.

Some of those picks are ABSOLUTELY absurd. And some of them are outdated by the time they hit the stands.

Anytime you want to stack up a team's schedule and make predictions on who is going to win, you might as well be calling the psychic friends network. It was only a couple years ago that the Bears were a first place team on a total fluke year. At least half of those games they were considered underdogs. It's never a question of adding up a team's value and stating greater or less-than. Otherwise, the Patriots would never match up to the Colts.

I'm sure most professional sports writers know more about sports than I do. But I'm also sure they care more about selling product than they do about issuing credible PREDICTIONS.

My predictions, BTW, Bears win:
2, maybe 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 13

This virtually insures that we win 1, maybe 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, and 17, giving Chicago an 11-5 season. Except that now that I lay that out, it reverses itself, so I was probably right with my first prediction. Or wait...
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:00 pm

Ek wrote:I'll paper bag challenge anyone for a whole year that the Bears win at least 2 games in their own division. I think a lot of fantasy players fail to realize that defense and special teams are 2/3rds of a football team, and that the injuries to Brian Urlacher, Adewale Ogunleye, Jerry Azumah, Charles Tillman, and Mike Brown hurt them as much if not more than Grossman being out.

EDIT: I'd also like to comment on the Lion's playmakers on offense. They need a QB just as badly, in fact, the main difference between Orton and Harrington is that Orton hasn't proven anything, whereas Harrington has already proven that he blows and shouldn't be starting in the NFL.

2 out of 6? And this is a team you think will be .500 or better? Id say the bears can win 2 games. At home against the Lions and Packers. Thatd be about it though.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk