What does Darren Sproles do to LT's value - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What does Darren Sproles do to LT's value

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:38 pm

petedog9 wrote:Of course it is... Silly me... Afterall he is your #1 rated player. How dare Marty give the ball to anyone else and screw up your fantasy day. I guess all the talk of the Chargers wanting to get Sproles some touches and get him involved is BS.

It's not that we are in denial that our precious LT will lose touches, it's the fact that you are making claims with no evidence.

Your argument would be much more convincing if you would actually post a link or an article where Marty actually said that he was definitely going to give Turner some 3rd downs, or get him more involving with running the ball.

I saw him in college, I know he's fast and elusive. That's why he'll make a decent return guy. But steal carries from the best RB in the NFL? I'll believe it when I see it.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ricky_Christ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:46 pm

Take it easy guys. :-D

LT is obviously still the man, still worth the #1 draft pick overall in most leagues. There's no way SD is going to go RBBC, and regardless of Sproles talent, there's no way he's going to take significant carries away from Ladanian. Injury aside, there's no way Sproles becomes a 3rd down back.

LT losing receptions to Gates is a different situation. Tomlinson went from being the only weapon in Diego to being the key figure on a fast improving offense. It's also important to factor in that he was partially injured last year when looking at any drops in his stats. I'd be much more concerned with what an elite wideout (Moss, Owens) might do to his value than competition at the same position.

I think the more interesting question might be Sproles value in a keeper league. Is it possible SD could trade him for a bump at another spot/draft in the next year, and is he capable of being a starting RB in the NFL?
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:56 pm

He's a midget - 5'6" and 181 lbs - he will probably be a good return man but he's too small to withstand much of a pounding over the season at RB, even if it is just a few carries (eg - see Q Griffin)
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:47 am

Sure give him a few touches a game, it might keep LT a little healthier.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:03 am

portisfan24 wrote:Sure give him a few touches a game, it might keep LT a little healthier.

Exactly. Giving another back some carries is a good thing as long as it isn't at the goalline. The same thing is likely to happen in Cincy with Perry getting some carries, but that's only going to help Rudi's numbers. Keeping a back healthy means another guy is going to have to take about 50 or so carries. LT isn't an exception. He needs breathers too.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Timbathia » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:21 am

Yeah, I dont buy it at all. Sproles might have a bunch of talent, but you cant tell me he is a better option on third-down than LT.

I wouldnt even think that the Chargers would use him as the go-to-guy if LT went down. Turner looks a better option there. That being said, putting Sproles into the game for a few snaps every game to spell LT will sure keep defenses on their toes.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby littletank » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:12 am

Sorry guys, but you will all be wrong.

Sproles will be in on 3rd down some. And sometimes at the sametime as LT.

He will get a couple touches a night guaranteed.

Will it hurt LT's value? No. but to say that Sproles will not be in on plays is just foolish.
littletank
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby petedog9 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:08 am

[quote="Dr. Duran Duran"][quote="portisfan24"]Sure give him a few touches a game, it might keep LT a little healthier.[/quote]

Exactly. Giving another back some carries is a good thing as long as it isn't at the goalline. The same thing is likely to happen in Cincy with Perry getting some carries, but that's only going to help Rudi's numbers. Keeping a back healthy means another guy is going to have to take about 50 or so carries. LT isn't an exception. He needs breathers too.[/quote]

That is all I am talking about. I see them maybe putting in a "Sproles package" kind of like the Steelers did a few years back with Kordell Stewart. I know he is a QB and Sproles is a RB but you get the jist... I will try and find a link but I remeber hearing an interview on the radio regarding him from Marty. He was gushing about Sproles....
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby johnrambo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:46 am

Sproles is the man. You should stay away from LT2 at all cost his job is on the line and he has little if any fantasy value. LOL
" Who can make a play? T.O. can make a play." T.Owens
johnrambo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

height

Postby legacy2224 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:39 pm

"He's a midget - 5'6" and 181 lbs - he will probably be a good return man but he's too small to withstand much of a pounding over the season at RB, even if it is just a few carries (eg - see Q Griffin)"

Since when do you have to be a giant in the nfl to be successful?
There's two guys over six feet in the top ten rb's.
lack of size is made up for by speed and elusiveness ever hear of barry sanders? he was 5'8.
legacy2224
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk