The Only Carrying 1 QB "Strategy" (or, am I nuts?) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Only Carrying 1 QB "Strategy" (or, am I nuts?)

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Only Carrying 1 QB "Strategy" (or, am I nuts?)

Postby Kilroy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:03 am

My roster....(Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1D/ST)

QB- Delhomme
RB- Barlow, J.Jones, M. Anderson, LT2, Cadillac
WR- R. Moss, Wayne, J. Smith, Lloyd
TE- Gates, Wiggins
K-Longwell
D/ST- Colts (playing the ol' matchup game)

My thinking is I can hold off on grabbing a 2nd QB til at least after week 1, when I can drop my extra tight end, or later, as Delhomme's bye is Week 7. The WW QB's are thin (the Big Bens and Eli Mannings of the world (except for B. Griese, who also has a Week 7 bye)), and the only trade offer I've received was Caddy for Plummer which(thanks in part to help from the Cafe) I refused.

Is this an at least semi-valid strategy, or am I inviting potential QB disaster? (I figure worst case if my guy goes down I can deal a RB. Heck, I'd consider trading Anderson to the T. Bell Owner, but his QBs are Peyton (fat chance) and Brady (week 7 bye.)).

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts/feedback.

Thanks In Advance! ;-D

God Bless the Gulf Coast.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:18 am

I've been doing this for about 3 years now. I don't go into drafts with the intention to do so, but I'm not usually willing to draft my backup QB as early as everyone else, so by the time I decide to look at one, there's not usually one worth taking so I just say forget it.

Hasn't KILLED me yet (though it has hurt before), and I've done my important drafts for this year and it's worked out the same way.

Good luck ;-D
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:47 am

I usually only draft 1 unless there is someone avail in the last few rounds that I can't pass up (got McNair in the 15th in one league), or if I pick someone forecasted to have a breakout year, I sometimes grab a backup as insurance.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:36 am

Depends on who you pick up.

If anything. I might jump on the Eli bandwagon early b4 he turns into a respectable back up and drop Wiggins/lloyd

PS. Raiders will be a Top 20 Defense. Just you watch. I even think they will be a top 15 D. But that wasn't our bet.
:-D B-)
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MadScott » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:28 am

You should be fine. I did similarly in a recent draft. In that draft, 3 guys took 3 QBs. I know they won't carry all three all season, so I'll wait and scavenge the WW for who I want when I want them.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: The Only Carrying 1 QB "Strategy" (or, am I nuts?)

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:33 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:My roster....(Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1D/ST)

QB- Delhomme
TE- Gates, Wiggins
K-Longwell

My thinking is I can hold off on grabbing a 2nd QB til at least after week 1, when I can drop my extra tight end, or later, as Delhomme's bye is Week 7. The WW QB's are thin (the Big Bens and Eli Mannings of the world (except for B. Griese, who also has a Week 7 bye)), and the only trade offer I've received was Caddy for Plummer which(thanks in part to help from the Cafe) I refused.

Is this an at least semi-valid strategy, or am I inviting potential QB disaster? (I figure worst case if my guy goes down I can deal a RB. Heck, I'd consider trading Anderson to the T. Bell Owner, but his QBs are Peyton (fat chance) and Brady (week 7 bye.)).

Thanks In Advance! ;-D

With the right offer, you might be able to pull Peyton.... You have Gates, Delhomme, Moss, and Mike Anderson to work with.... I'm sure you could come up with a decent combo deal.... Let me see his roster, and I'll give you a good suggestion....

I would be MUCH more confident going into the year with 1 QB if that QB was Peyton Manning.... Eventually Peyton will surpass Favre's consecutive starts record.... The guy NEVER gets hit, and he never runs the ball.... The odds of him becoming injured are slim to none.... I'd be slightly less confident with Delhomme, as the line in Carolina leaves a lot to be desired....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Daddymike59 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:39 am

I think you did better by drafting 2 good t/e's than 1 decent q/b and 1 maybe q/b. Anything can happen by week 7.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Retet » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:48 am

I think the one QB strategy puts you in a boom or bust situation. If it works (which means your starter performs well and stays healthy), great -- you just stole a #6 or #7 draft pick for a WR upgrade or something else, and you look like a genius. If your starter fails, you will be stuck with waiver QBs or will be forced into a trade where the other guy will know that you NEED his QB which will inflate his asking price.

In all, I think drafting a quality 2nd QB is worth it long term. I tend to draft QBs late (5, 6, 7, 8 rounds), and I tend to go back to back (QB then another QB). Why? Because the QBs at that draft position have some aspect of risk, and I can reduce that risk by selecting two and banking on the fact that one will meet or excede expectations.

It's worked well so far.
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: The Only Carrying 1 QB "Strategy" (or, am I nuts?)

Postby Kilroy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:40 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:My roster....(Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1D/ST)

QB- Delhomme
TE- Gates, Wiggins
K-Longwell

Thanks In Advance! ;-D

With the right offer, you might be able to pull Peyton.... You have Gates, Delhomme, Moss, and Mike Anderson to work with.... I'm sure you could come up with a decent combo deal.... Let me see his roster, and I'll give you a good suggestion....

I would be MUCH more confident going into the year with 1 QB if that QB was Peyton Manning.... Eventually Peyton will surpass Favre's consecutive starts record.... The guy NEVER gets hit, and he never runs the ball.... The odds of him becoming injured are slim to none.... I'd be slightly less confident with Delhomme, as the line in Carolina leaves a lot to be desired....

Here's his roster Plindsey (BTW, your DEF Rankings were a big help in my winning my $$ league last year...Thanx Much. ;-D )

QB- P. Manning, Brady
RB- Bell, Barber, M. Bennett, Benson
WR- Horn, Toomer, S. Smith
TE- Putzier, S. Alexander
K- Vinatieri
D/ST- Jets, Giants

Any Help/Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance! ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kilroy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:41 pm

UNDEFEATED wrote:Depends on who you pick up.

If anything. I might jump on the Eli bandwagon early b4 he turns into a respectable back up and drop Wiggins/lloyd

PS. Raiders will be a Top 20 Defense. Just you watch. I even think they will be a top 15 D. But that wasn't our bet.
:-D B-)

Suuuuuureeeeeeeeeee they will. You just keep tellin' yourself that. :-D

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk